Help convince me that FRN handles are better than they look..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flasharry

Help convince me that FRN handles are better than they look..

Post by flasharry »

I just can;t get past the "cheap plastic" impression of the FRN handles. Now I know that's probably just a poor perception on my part, but I juts can't get over it, and that really limits my Spyderco collection... I'm assuming the quality is great, as it's made by Spyderco..
Looking in the collection shows handles/scales of: Bone, Stag, Titanium, Stainless, Mother of Pearl, Aluminum, G-10, Polished G10...
Should I just bite the bullet and get an FRN model? Is it as sturdy even without liners?
Help?
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
Tucson Tom

Re: Help convince me that FRN handles are better than they look..

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am with you 100 percent.

Reminds me though of a Mark Twain quote: "Opera is not as bad as it sounds".

Honestly though, FRN, FRCP, Zytel, or whatever you want to call it is a fully capable material and is not just crap plastic like it looks. But you have to get over that, and I haven't done so yet. It could be lighter and more durable than Carbon Fiber, which is known to fare badly when dropped -- but I'll still pay extra for the Carbon Fiber because it looks sharp.

My only FRN knife is my Maxamet Native. The grey FRN doesn't look so much like a childs toy, and the knife has never let me down in any way.

I wouldn't hesitate to get an FRN model if you are looking at one that appeals to you. My next will probably be a Pacific Salt in SE, that knife is sort of a legend.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

FRN/FRCP may flex a little without liners (depending on the model) but they won't break. John Shirley, Spyderco ARK co-designer, carried a Manix 2 LW on at least one overseas deployment. He has nothing but good to say about that knife. If you want thin and slicey with a great steel, grab a Chap LW. If you want something with a thicker, more abuse tolerant blade, try a Native 5 LW or Manix 2 LW. The N5 LW Salt would give you LC200N, which is basically rust proof, and a very tough steel according to Larrin's info.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You just need to tweak how you look at it....it IS cheap, but that doesn't make it bad. I'm definitely biased towards G10 but I'm also envious of the textures that FRN can be molded in. I just look at it like the Glock of knife handle materials.

As far as durability is concerned, I gave a Salt 2 to a friend who I'm willing to bet uses his knife harder than most and I inspect it every time I sharpen it and it looks new every time (the blade/DLC tells how much abuse it has seen). That knife is linerless FRN but they use a pretty intricate internal mold that keeps the scales fairly rigid.

(Not my image)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If you want to be sold on FRN, buy a Chap LW, or one of the LW maxamet knives (Native or Manix 2).

The Manix 2 LW was the one that really sold me on those "cheap plastic" handles. I was honestly very surprised at how much I liked it. At this point, I prefer them to stock G-10. There are some aftermarket G-10 scales I live even more, but I like the stock FRN and FRCP better than the stock G-10.
blues

Post by blues »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:28 pm
I am with you 100 percent.

Reminds me though of a Mark Twain quote: "Opera is not as bad as it sounds".

Honestly though, FRN, FRCP, Zytel, or whatever you want to call it is a fully capable material and is not just crap plastic like it looks. But you have to get over that, and I haven't done so yet. It could be lighter and more durable than Carbon Fiber, which is known to fare badly when dropped -- but I'll still pay extra for the Carbon Fiber because it looks sharp.

My only FRN knife is my Maxamet Native. The grey FRN doesn't look so much like a childs toy, and the knife has never let me down in any way.

I wouldn't hesitate to get an FRN model if you are looking at one that appeals to you. My next will probably be a Pacific Salt in SE, that knife is sort of a legend.
Should be perfect for that oceanfront property in AZ. :p

Seriously, though, I have the same issues with FRN. I have at least one Spydie with it, (Calypso Jr. ZDP-189 comes to mind), but I struggle with an ingrained prejudice against the material despite knowing it is worthy.

Mea culpa.
- Retired from the chase -
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If you are hung up on looks then I guess I cannot help you. Aesthetics are subjective.

If you are hung up on them being cheap plastic then you are way off. Look at all the polymer handguns. If Glock can build a polymer handgun that can shoot a 10mm auto then a small pocket knife should hold up to normal use just fine. I prefer a 1911 but a Glock will do everything it will do and it will do it while weighing far less.

Also worth noting that frn is more durable than bone, stag and mother of pearl.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Mon May 27, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pssst! Think, ductility...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Knives with FRN handles may be inexpensive, compared to other those using other handle materials, but they do the job they're required to do just fine. That said, there's nothing wrong with having discerning taste and Spyderco offers enough choices that there's no compelling reason to buy something you find unattractive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I have FRN that has been used hard since the 90's and still going strong. One was dropped 30 metres (98 feet) onto rock and survived and is still in use. I like FRN for a user. I also like G10 and CF. But don't sell the FRN short because you consider it looks cheap.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

FRN is about 1000 times more durable than aluminum scales. Maybe that will put it in perspective. Also FRN is good enough for Glocks, right?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As said already: Concerning the looks, that's personal preference, one will like it, the other not.

But in every other aspect FRN is an amazing, very sturdy handle material. It even feels better in hand (not as "lego-ish") than some people think.

At the moment I have only linered FRN models (but had Native lw and Manix lw (which is FRCP, I know), their handles have no flex and can almost not be squeezed together. That's different with my PM2 (admittedly that's mostly due to the open construction of the PM2 vs the closed of for example the Stretch, which has a backspacer and metal lockbar).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
blues

Post by blues »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:59 pm
If you are hung up on looks then I guess I cannot help you. Aesthetics are subjective.

If you are hung up on them being cheap plastic then you are way off. Look at all the polymer handguns. If Glock can build a polymer handgun that can shoot a 10mm auto then a small pocket knife should hold up to normal use just fine. I prefer a 1911 but a Glock will do everything it will do and it will do it while weighing far less.

Also worth noting that frn is more durable than bone, stag and mother of pearl.
And do it reliably and without stovepiping. (I carried a Gov't Model Series 70 on SRT years ago. Loved the gun, shot it well. but man it needed a lot of work. It was not personally owned.)

Glocks may be "ugly" but to me they are awesome combat firearms. And I agree with you about the whole "plastic" thing. I started carrying Glocks on duty in 1988 and know every Tupperware joke in the book.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I have a new respect for FRN since I got a Native Maxamet LW, it's solid.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

zhyla wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:20 pm
Also FRN is good enough for Glocks, right?
I hate Glocks. Give me a 1911 any day. When people start making knives from FRN because they want them to be like Glocks, the world has gone wrong in a big way.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:12 pm
zhyla wrote:
I hate Glocks. Give me a 1911 any day. When people start making knives from FRN because they want them to be like Glocks, the world has gone wrong in a big way.
Feel free to rant about Glocks in this off topic thread! ;)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83848
(I, totally clueless when it comes to guns, started it cause the Glock is an Austrian gun and I'm Austrian. I'd be interested in any opinion, bad or good!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
blues

Post by blues »

"Plastics!"

https://youtu.be/Dug-G9xVdVs
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

FRN feels much better than it looks. Maybe look for a used Delica to try out.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:12 pm
zhyla wrote:
https://youtu.be/ynHenL72bPY
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Just get a Chap LW and you'll be hooked. A Dragonfly Salt, Native Salt, or Pacific Salt are also good ones to get aquainted with FRN.

I EDC FRN exclusively with shorts, swim trunks, and board shorts, which accounts for about 3/4 of the year down here. It is excellent stuff.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red