M390 Delica Blue FRN Bento Box Shop Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: M390 Delica Blue FRN Bento Box Shop Exclusive

Post by TkoK83Spy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:22 am
The Meat man wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:15 am

How's the sharpness out of the box?

I'm not an edge junky, but mine are some of the sharpest Spydercos I have received from the factory. Very very sharp. Zero complaints. Well, one. I wish they would have used the polished clips.
FedEx Ground box incoming!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:38 am
steelcity16 wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

I'm not an edge junky, but mine are some of the sharpest Spydercos I have received from the factory. Very very sharp. Zero complaints. Well, one. I wish they would have used the polished clips.
FedEx Ground box incoming!

Can't wait! Thanks again for that! :) :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
FK

Post by FK »

Very nice apex and very sharp, both knives equal.

I normally sharpen a new knife due to most having rather coarse belt grinding finishes,,, these two were great out of the box.

Regards,
FK
Last edited by FK on Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I ordered one. Normally more of an Endura fan but as I missed the S30V Delica variants and this is close I had to pull the trigger.

I'm hoping for more like this. Don't mind paying the premium or the shipping for other steels in the FRN series. I think many people are overly critical of the more mass produced designs that use older locks but they overlook the basic advantages of FRN and the geometry and ergonomics that Sal designed into these.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wdr65 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:59 pm
I ordered one. Normally more of an Endura fan but as I missed the S30V Delica variants and this is close I had to pull the trigger.

I'm hoping for more like this. Don't mind paying the premium or the shipping for other steels in the FRN series. I think many people are overly critical of the more mass produced designs that use older locks but they overlook the basic advantages of FRN and the geometry and ergonomics that Sal designed into these.

I recently bought the foliage green combo edge Delica and it has given me a renewed respect for not only the Delica, but combo edges, saber grinds, and VG-10. Glad I was able to grab a few of the M390 Delicas while they are around.

I welcome many more Delicas in new Bohler steels as well. I wouldn't even mind one in saber grind and/or combo edge in something like Vanadis 4 Extra.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:45 pm
My experience with Bento is for an order placed Friday, label is created on the weekend, package not in carriers possession until late Monday and delivery to me on Thursday... so I won't see mine for a couple more days (and I placed the order in the opening minutes). Not complaining, just letting others know my experience.

CG
Mine arrived today (Wednesday) and not Thursday as originally indicated. They have no problem taking hair off my arm. Glad to have them and feeling OK now about letting the money go...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

steelcity16 wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

It would cost more than they’re worth to trade but I have a couple delicas with clips the previous owner stripped and I like the black clips on the colored frn versions (pink, blue, green).
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

BBS Delica M390 factory edge and sharpness are superb, as is the fit and finish. Ordered Friday, labeled Saturday, shipped Monday, arrived Tuesday, no complaints. Same blue tint as the BBS Lil Matriarch. A wee bit lighter than the the Meadowlark Blue frn, which is like its boyish young cousin.

I should post a group pic of all the Delica FRN blue models (including denim blue Kahr, LEOMF blue, ZDP 189 blue , inlc blue-gteys, and molded clip blues etc..

Here are a few quick bundled cell pix of recently arrived Shaman Sprint, BBS Delica M390, Native Chief, LadyBug Pakkawood HAP40, and the DLT 20CV DLC PM2.

Haven't seen many posts of the NC, BBS, nor LB PW. I'll try to get some better daylight photos of these, before they head out as graduation gifts. (The Shaman is not for a grad per se, but an in-law finishing law clerkship with a US District judge. Knife rights, hehe)

please forgive the html block crossing threads

(edited for typo)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

^ Nice collection.

I caved and ordered a Delica.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:42 pm

It would cost more than they’re worth to trade but I have a couple delicas with clips the previous owner stripped and I like the black clips on the colored frn versions (pink, blue, green).

PM incoming.. :)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Anyone HRC test this bad boy yet??
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

The bevel looks especially tall for a Delica in every one of the pictures I see... On a blade that thin the angle must surely be 30° inclusive or less, could anyone confirm?
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

youmakemehole wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:51 pm
The bevel looks especially tall for a Delica in every one of the pictures I see... On a blade that thin the angle must surely be 30° inclusive or less, could anyone confirm?
I was thinking the same thing. It looks like less than 30 inclusive to me.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I received two, bevel height is taller on one and probably the tallest I've seen on any of my Delica 4's. The tall one will go in my pocket and the other into my Delica drawer. The orange one, the knife fairy dropped by the other day....

CG
Attachments
IMG_1138.JPG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:05 am
Anyone HRC test this bad boy yet??
As Banter247 was saying in the HRC Database thread the other day, the issue is with steels like m390 in large batches, the knives that get quenched first are going to have a higher HRC than the knives that get quenched last. Any delay causes a noticeable drop off. I have no idea how Seki does it so I can't speculate with any accuracy (maybe they have solved this issue), but it is possible to get a wide range of HRC numbers from one batch. Meaning that even if we test one of these at 61HRC that doesn't mean a knife from the same batch wont test at 59. I may be wrong, but it seems that unless you test YOUR knife, there's really not a good way to tell what the HRC on a m390 blade will be.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:08 pm
As Banter247 was saying in the HRC Database thread the other day, the issue is with steels like m390 in large batches, the knives that get quenched first are going to have a higher HRC than the knives that get quenched last.
Does he have experience with heat treat in an industrial setting? Lot of speculation going on here...
Personally if I'm going to assume something it's that they know what they're doing.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:43 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
As Banter247 was saying in the HRC Database thread the other day, the issue is with steels like m390 in large batches, the knives that get quenched first are going to have a higher HRC than the knives that get quenched last.
Does he have experience with heat treat in an industrial setting? Lot of speculation going on here...
Personally if I'm going to assume something it's that they know what they're doing.
I could be wrong here, but if I remember correctly, he was repeating the words of someone in the industry. Whether or not it is true is another matter, just figured I'd throw that out there.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:43 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thats why I said I wasn't sure what they did in Seki. But it is my understanding he was talking with a group of knifemakers about why the testing numbers for M390 varied so much (not just spyderco). And perhaps why someones Para 3 tested at 59, while someone elses Para 2 tested at 62. But yes you are 100% correct that it is speculation. I hope it didn't come across otherwise.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Just talking Steel with subjective speculation.

As an owner of M390, CTS-204P and lately 20CV they may be close on paper but 20CV is the best of the three in term of sharpness and sharpening ease, why? I do not know but the latest PM2 from DLT in 20CV is surprising the heck out of me to the point where I am ignoring M390 and CTS-204P from here on out.

Furthermore would love to see more CTS-XHP as it has proven comparable to edge retention of M390 and sharpens easier.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Furthermore would love to see more CTS-XHP as it has proven comparable to edge retention of M390 and sharpens easier.
Curious as to which models you've experienced this in?

My only XHP is in a Hungarian, and while it does well, it's definitely not up to the same level as my M390 knives from Spyderco or Benchmade.