M390 Delica Blue FRN Bento Box Shop Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonLeBlanc

Re: M390 Delica Blue FRN Bento Box Shop Exclusive

Post by JonLeBlanc »

SF Native wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:56 pm
I actually like that some retailers are having a different business model. It means that I can find some old sprints later if I want to pay a little extra. Why should all the dealers be exactly the same? I recently got the orange H1 spyderhawk from them. I was glad to find it.
If I lose my domino tomorrow, I know they have some.
I completely agree, I don't find a problem at all with BBS's business model, I mean there are all sorts of small businesses where I live that have shall we say "different" policies (like a pizza joint that puts the cheese ON TOP of the toppings and REFUSES to do otherwise) and people like me still give them patronage because you know what, they have something no one else does! For that matter, BBS has helped me with particular requests in a happy and deferential manner, and the shipping was no slower than anyone else's. Thanks free market! :cool:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Well, I predicted a blue G10 Delica, guess it’s good it’s only FRN since the price would be pretty high! It’s looking to me like they’re using the same dark blue as their PE Lil Mat exclusive, which makes sense.

And SG88, no plans yet for swapping scales on this guy, although a M390 Delica just asks to be used! :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Cscottsss wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:06 pm
Wonder how long these will be in stock? If I remember correctly the BBS Para 3 was in stock for quite a while longer than any other sprints/exclusives from other dealers.
Yeah it was in stock for like 9 months I think. They also made a blue matriarch and the blue Domino, both have been in stock for well over a year
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:11 pm
Well, I predicted a blue G10 Delica, guess it’s good it’s only FRN since the price would be pretty high! It’s looking to me like they’re using the same dark blue as their PE Lil Mat exclusive, which makes sense.

And SG88, no plans yet for swapping scales on this guy, although a M390 Delica just asks to be used! :)

Have never bought a Delica it is smaller than a native which is smaller than a Para3 right? Starting to decide against it. A Native is about as small as I can tolerate anyone with both that can tell me why an even smaller knife is worthwhile?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:28 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

Have never bought a Delica it is smaller than a native which is smaller than a Para3 right? Starting to decide against it. A Native is about as small as I can tolerate anyone with both that can tell me why an even smaller knife is worthwhile?
They are all about the same size. The Delica has the thinnest blade stock and slices the best of the three. They are all good knives but all a good bit different ergonomically.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thanks
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

Also, note that the delica doesn’t have a finger choil. So more cutting edge and maybe less handle. It’s a bit different from para 3 or native.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

SF Native wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:58 pm

Also, note that the delica doesn’t have a finger choil. So more cutting edge and maybe less handle. It’s a bit different from para 3 or native.
If you are just looking at the handle (excluding the Native's choil), then the Delica has a clearly longer grip area. Below are some photos to illustrate. With the Delica, your hand shape needs to work with the (slight) scallops. (My hands take size Large gloves, typically.)

Fwiw, I prefer the Delica due to the longer length, excluding the choil. But I won't be picking up this variant. I just don't carry Delicas enough to justify the cost.

Delica and Native, lined up at the Fwd end of the handle :

Native behind the choil:

Native with the choil:

Delica:

- Capt'n
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

They added "no limit" to their site for this release. i still think they will be around for months being that the M390 Para 3 was around for months.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:14 am
They added "no limit" to their site for this release. i still think they will be around for months being that the M390 Para 3 was around for months.
Agreed, the S30V Delicas took a while to sell out and they were more affordable. I hope they do last a long time, but that will give me time to drag my feet and buy other knives for now. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Re: New M390 Bento Box Shop Exclusive

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:06 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:59 am

Wonder if the clip is black or chrome??? I prefer the chrome with non-DLC blades.
I've got a bunch of spare chrome clips if you need one. Just let me know once you get it if it's black.

Emailed Bento, clips are black. :confused: :( PM incoming.. :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

So after much consideration I will be buying a Delica but not this one at least not right now.

M390 is good but not worth the cost with shipping in the face of an impending Native Chief Drop. For a few Dollars more I would rather have the Native Chief.

DLT Recently dropping the 20CV DLC PM2 got me to buy two of them so Delicas are in the back burner for a while now and like others have said this is not likely to move all that fast.

Had they been able to Smurf Blue the FRN I believe they would move swifter. People love that G10 color.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I got mine!
--Jeremy
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Grabbed a few of these to make shipping per knife a little less painful.
Humint

Post by Humint »

I have four (4) incoming. This has been such a grail of mine for years, and with me sleeping on the s30v Delica, I just couldn't take the chance. Four should last me a lifetime and they can be passed on.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Just ordered mine. $14.99 shipping hurts a little, but overall $123.94 doesn't seem bad for an M390 blade. Delica is my favorite knife, and I never thought I would see one in this steel. It's worth it to me.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Doesn't the standard production blue FRN delica 4 qualify as smurf blue???

CG
Attachments
IMG_1125.JPG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:23 am
Doesn't the standard production blue FRN delica 4 qualify as smurf blue???

CG
This was my guess as to why they did the dark blue.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Went to BBS at 9 pst and watched the drop go live. I couldn't pass on this. Ordered two to economize on shipping cost. I'll be scrambling to have funds when the CC statement arrives!!!

I did waver on the delica/PM2 combo at $220 for a spell. That sure seems like a good package price to me, however I keep reading here that BBS gouges - I keep asking, "Is it just me or has the whole world gone crazy"?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:34 am
Went to BBS at 9 pst and watched the drop go live. I couldn't pass on this. Ordered two to economize on shipping cost. I'll be scrambling to have funds when the CC statement arrives!!!

I did waver on the delica/PM2 combo at $220 for a spell. That sure seems like a good package price to me, however I keep reading here that BBS gouges - I keep asking, "Is it just me or has the whole world gone crazy"?

CG
Given what a standard satin blade PM2 or g10 Manix 2 go for from other dealers, I think the PM2 and Manix 2 bundles are pretty good deals... if you were already interested in them. "The sale only saves you money if you were going to buy it anyway", right?

I don't need a PM2 or an M2 so I just went for the Delica.