M390 Delica Blue FRN Bento Box Shop Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: M390 Delica Blue FRN Bento Box Shop Exclusive

Post by ZrowsN1s »

PineChaos wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:49 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:42 pm
The massdrop supergold frn delica was $130ish right?
It was $120.
This version with shipping will be $123.94.
Bento wins.
Don't forget Tax! For the record I've bought at least 2 knives from Bento. Thanks to their built in sticker shock, they always have cool knives in stock. Which is nice if they have something you really want and youre willing to pay up.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

To everyone talking about 12/14 usd shipping:

If I want to get this to Croatia (Europe) for instance:

108 USD knife
69 USD shipping

But now the fun starts:

VAT - 25% of all value - 44,25 USD
Customs - 6,3% value of knife - 6,80 USD

And we come to the value of 228 USD

So, you were saying? :D
fixall

Post by fixall »

What frustrates me about Bento Box is the way they price gouge on in demand Sprint runs. If they were pricing them at retail instead of MAP, I could probably let it slide, but they are setting crazy prices.

Calypso Jr Super Blue Sprint: MAP/MSRP - $77.97, Spyderco Retail - $119.95, Bento Box - $199.95.

Delica V-Toku2 Sprint: MAP/MSRP - $81.22, Spyderco Retail - $124.95, Bento Box - $149.95.

Delica HAP40 Sprint: MAP/MSRP - $94.95, Spyderco Retail - $139.95, Bento Box - $149.95.

Throw in the fact that they charge crazy shipping prices (see the poster above me) and do not accept any returns whatsoever... And they're no better than the people who set up bots to buy Sprint runs, only to turn around and sell them at a massive markup the next day, as far as I'm concerned. I vote with my wallet, but I don't see anything wrong with giving an opinion on their business practices.

That being said. no one is forcing anyone to purchase the knife... And I still think it's pretty cool that BBS is bringing an in demand steel to a very popular knife and I'm happy for all the people who plan on purchasing it. More options are always good! I imagine it's going to be a great knife.
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

Thanks to their built in sticker shock, they always have cool knives in stock. Which is nice if they have something you really want and youre willing to pay up.
The prices are high but some of these sprint runs/exclusives if you aren't sitting in front of a computer at the moment of the drop you may not get one so it’s nice to have other options. Plus I still believe eBay is the Gougiest place. Can you get some deals sure, can you see some $130 knives for $300-$400 sure.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

blue is nice. but it's not the PM2 M390 blue - which gets the heart beating.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think the Delica was a solid choice and one of my favorite knives. There are some must-buys from the new reveal coming. Once done, I’ll take another look.

To put things in its true perspective, a Benchmade Mini Griptilian with 20cv costs $150. That makes this Delica sound a lot more reasonable.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

fixall wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:21 am
I vote with my wallet, but I don't see anything wrong with giving an opinion on their business practices.
Exactly.
archangel

Post by archangel »

fixall wrote:
What frustrates me about Bento Box is the way they price gouge on in demand Sprint runs. If they were pricing them at retail instead of MAP, I could probably let it slide, but they are setting crazy prices.

Calypso Jr Super Blue Sprint: MAP/MSRP - $77.97, Spyderco Retail - $119.95, Bento Box - $199.95.

Delica V-Toku2 Sprint: MAP/MSRP - $81.22, Spyderco Retail - $124.95, Bento Box - $149.95.

Delica HAP40 Sprint: MAP/MSRP - $94.95, Spyderco Retail - $139.95, Bento Box - $149.95.

Throw in the fact that they charge crazy shipping prices (see the poster above me) and do not accept any returns whatsoever... And they're no better than the people who set up bots to buy Sprint runs, only to turn around and sell them at a massive markup the next day, as far as I'm concerned. I vote with my wallet, but I don't see anything wrong with giving an opinion on their business practices.

That being said. no one is forcing anyone to purchase the knife... And I still think it's pretty cool that BBS is bringing an in demand steel to a very popular knife and I'm happy for all the people who plan on purchasing it. More options are always good! I imagine it's going to be a great knife.

Old news. It's why I boycott BBS. In my opinion, it should rather be BS.

Rant over.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

This is going to be a must-buy for me. My favorite model, with my favorite color handle, in my favorite stainless steel. I'll buy two if I'm able.
--Jeremy
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

fixall wrote:

It's definitely a hate-love relationship for me. I find the practices you describe appalling for someone calling themselves a dealer. Charging OVER MSRP is not cool at all. But regardless of this, I can't say no to an M390 Delica. :( I just refuse to buy non-exclusives from them.

They can totally redeem themselves by making matching dark blue FRN M390 Dragonflies and Jesters and charging MAP price with FREE shipping! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

fixall wrote:

How much would you pay for those on eBay at this point though?

I think their strategy is to wait for them to sell out and then catch the post-sell-out market that would otherwise be paying even higher prices on eBay. That means they hold their inventory for a long time. it's a question of making a big chunk up front or making a larger profit per unit spread over a longer time.

Like I said, I don't generally buy from them, but the fact that they have a different strategy from the vast majority of retailers doesn't somehow make them evil. And there are other retailers (Country Knives, for example) with similar strategies, who hold old sprint/exclusive inventory and price it well above the original prices, waiting for those few buyers who are willing to pay a premium for a hard to find knife. In many ways those dealers are doing a service for the knife afi community, by rolling the long term inventory holding costs into the price, so that people willing to pay those prices can find the old models they want without having to search eBay every day for months.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Guys, shiny footprints.

Can we focus on the M390 Delica rather than BBS's business model?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'm looking forward to M390/ZDP-189 comparisons in the same blade. Suspect there isn't going to be much, if any, difference. Amazon has ZDP for $94 with free shipping, so probably the better bang for your buck.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:28 am
I'm looking forward to M390/ZDP-189 comparisons in the same blade. Suspect there isn't going to be much, if any, difference. Amazon has ZDP for $94 with free shipping, so probably the better bang for your buck.

CG

I'd actually expect M390 to be tougher, easier to sharpen, more corrosion resistant, and probably as good or better edge holding. I plan on grabbing a few of these Delicas tomorrow. Worth the extra money over ZDP-189 in my opinion.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Philo Beddoe

Re: New M390 Bento Box Shop Exclusive

Post by Philo Beddoe »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:29 pm
Ugh, PM2s are so 2017. Where the Para 3 LWs at??
No. 2013 and 2014..
jdw

Post by jdw »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:47 am
cycleguy wrote:

CG

I'd actually expect M390 to be tougher, easier to sharpen, more corrosion resistant, and probably as good or better edge holding. I plan on grabbing a few of these Delicas tomorrow. Worth the extra money over ZDP-189 in my opinion.
I have and love using both 20CV and ZDP. I would agree with most everything that you surmised steelcity but about edge holding. It may be my own quirks but I am not sure that any steel holds as fine of an edge for me as long as ZDP does. Just as a personal choice the price difference wouldn't be worth it to me but both are excellent choices to have.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
fixall

Post by fixall »

ejames13 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:55 am
Guys, shiny footprints.
Good point, advice taken.

jdw wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:15 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:47 am
cycleguy wrote:

CG

I have and love using both 20CV and ZDP. I would agree with most everything that you surmised steelcity but about edge holding. It may be my own quirks but I am not sure that any steel holds as fine of an edge for me as long as ZDP does. Just as a personal choice the price difference wouldn't be worth it to me but both are excellent choices to have.
My experience has been the same. M390 has been easy to sharpen and more corrosion resistant than my ZDP-189 (haven't put the toughness to the test), but the ZDP-189 has held a razor edge rather significantly longer than the M390. In fact... My knives in CPM-154 even seem to hold a razor edge longer than the M390.

Where M390 has REALLY shined for me is how it holds a working edge. It may not stay razor sharp for long, but it holds a reasonably sharp edge for a very long time. It reminds me of S30V in that regard... Just better.

YMMV.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:19 am
fixall wrote:

How much would you pay for those on eBay at this point though?

I think their strategy is to wait for them to sell out and then catch the post-sell-out market that would otherwise be paying even higher prices on eBay. That means they hold their inventory for a long time. it's a question of making a big chunk up front or making a larger profit per unit spread over a longer time.

Like I said, I don't generally buy from them, but the fact that they have a different strategy from the vast majority of retailers doesn't somehow make them evil. And there are other retailers (Country Knives, for example) with similar strategies, who hold old sprint/exclusive inventory and price it well above the original prices, waiting for those few buyers who are willing to pay a premium for a hard to find knife. In many ways those dealers are doing a service for the knife afi community, by rolling the long term inventory holding costs into the price, so that people willing to pay those prices can find the old models they want without having to search eBay every day for months.
I don't have a problem with the knife prices but just their shipping. It's $15 even on $150+ dollar knife and it was SLOW as can be
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I actually like that some retailers are having a different business model. It means that I can find some old sprints later if I want to pay a little extra. Why should all the dealers be exactly the same? I recently got the orange H1 spyderhawk from them. I was glad to find it.
If I lose my domino tomorrow, I know they have some.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Wonder how long these will be in stock? If I remember correctly the BBS Para 3 was in stock for quite a while longer than any other sprints/exclusives from other dealers.