Spydercos best "bang-for-the-buck" - knife?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BornIn1500

Re: Spydercos best "bang-for-the-buck" - knife?!

Post by BornIn1500 »

I think the Bow River will be the best bang-for-the-buck. $32.50 for a Phil Wilson design, full tang, G-10 scales, and a leather sheath. Hard to beat that.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:30 pm
The question could be refined into tiers. Best bang for buck is not the same in my mind as best value.

To me, best value is the cheapest that'll do. In that case Vivi's Cara Cara wins. To me it is best value, but not necessarily best bang for buck. Depending on application, Darby's Bradley may win-- or maybe my Chef or Shaman. In England Connor's UKPK wins. Bloke's S110v Military wins if you're cutting miles of cardboard without anything to sharpen your knife.

This is all so subjective-- and hearing all the perspectives is fun!
Very good points!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:50 pm
I think the Bow River will be the best bang-for-the-buck. $32.50 for a Phil Wilson design, full tang, G-10 scales, and a leather sheath. Hard to beat that.
Indeed! Maybe impossible to beat for best value but also currently vaporware. :eek: Will likely buy at least one.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:58 pm
Enactive wrote:
The question could be refined into tiers. Best bang for buck is not the same in my mind as best value.

To me, best value is the cheapest that'll do. In that case Vivi's Cara Cara wins. To me it is best value, but not necessarily best bang for buck. Depending on application, Darby's Bradley may win-- or maybe my Chef or Shaman. In England Connor's UKPK wins. Bloke's S110v Military wins if you're cutting miles of cardboard without anything to sharpen your knife.

This is all so subjective-- and hearing all the perspectives is fun!
Very good points!
Thanks. Did you see my earlier question about behind the choil grip on the Chap?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:12 am
Wartstein wrote:
Enactive wrote:
Thanks. Did you see my earlier question about behind the choil grip on the Chap?
Yep! Just a moment, reply takes a bit :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:16 am
Enactive wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Enactive wrote:
:D Thanks. More than being impatient, I thought maybe it got buried among my few other posts. D'oh.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:19 pm
The Chap LW sounds like a strong contender. Taichung build quality is astonishingly good!

I haven't handled one and have strongly considered, but it seems too small. I have read lots of praise for it too. I am sure it is an elite slicer. My Native is as small as I think I wanna go. I know you like bigger blades too, but love your Chap.

One question to you. I recall you saying you sold a Native because the behind the choir grip wasn't usable. Are you able to get a good four finger behind the choir grip on the Chap?
You have a very good memory, amazing! And yes, you're right, I sold my Native lw mainly cause I could not get a good 4 finger grip behind the choil and generally cause for me the Chap is the clearly "better Native lw".

Now since the Chaps handle is even shorter, I'll have to explain.. ;) :

Thing is:

The overall, total length of the NATIVE handle (the FRN part) WOULD in principle offer enough space for a good four finger grip. Now due to the choil it is shaped in a way, that this is NOT possible (for the "front guard" is far back on the handle). As a result, I HAVE to choke up to get a good 4 finger grip. This is kind of "wasted space" for me: Long enough handle in principle for four fingers, but not usable as such PLUS a shorter edge (cause of the choil)
As good as the Native is, not for me.

Now the Chap LW: It offers virtually the SAME edge length as the Native (Chap 60mm, Native 61 mm, the difference of just 1mm is nothing) while it´s a whole 11 mm SHORTER when closed (about 1/2 of an inch). The CHAPS overall and general handle length would not offer space for a good 4 finger grip (for me) ANYWAY, so it´s somehow (again, for me) meant to be held choked up. A bit like a dragonfly in that regard. Still I CAN get a solid 3.5 finger grip on the handle, for example when doing extended work and wanting to change grip for comfort.

See what I mean? The Chap is a much shorter, slimmer, lighter package when closed. Due to it´s nested liners it feels at least as solid as the Native 5 lw (while, again, being about 15% lighter); It offers virtually the same edge length; Especially in such a short blade 2mm bladestock is way better than 3mm, slices like a dream, still feels very solid (and IS very sold, believe me, I tested that by carving and deliberately twisting it in hard wood and such tasks); And the lock of the Chap feels and works as good as the Natives... (both feature the best backlocks I am aware of )

Maybe you get the chance to handle a Chap lw someday.. amazing, believe me, and much more comfortable in hand than you´d guess when looking at its thin handle...
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon May 27, 2019 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:30 am
Wartstein wrote:
Enactive wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

:D Thanks. More than being impatient, I thought maybe it got buried among my few other posts. D'oh.
No, I´d never forget to reply to you! :) And it was a very good question, answer see my reply above.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:37 am
Enactive wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Enactive wrote:

No, I´d never forget to reply to you! :) And it was a very good question, answer see my reply above.
Thanks so much. Your detailed response is helpful. Even though I have read the specs on both more than once, I thought the edge lengths were more than 1mm different. Wow. I thought I had ruled out the Chap LW. Hmm... :eek:
Last edited by Enactive on Mon May 27, 2019 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Enactive wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Just cause I have them at hand by happenstance, some Chap lw pics for you :) (all shot while trail running, that´s when I love to carry the Chap iwb) :

On the first you can see the handle compared to MY hand. ! The handle looks smaller in the pic than it is in reality. I even can somehow get a VERY crammed and uncomfortable 4 finger-ish grip behind the choil, an ok-ish 3.5 and a VERY good - for a 3 finger grip - well, 3 finger grip... choked up, the ergos are just great.
Attachments
Chap 2.jpg
Chap Jausn.jpg
Chap see.jpg
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Awesome, Wartstein! Thanks. My Native Salt is my current 'sports knife'
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:37 am
Enactive wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Thanks so much. Your detailed response is helpful.
You´re welcome of course! And: If my reply somehow steers you towards handling a Chap lw, it is maybe NOT helpfull for your Native.. :D The Chap will probably be a strong contender, for it is NOT really smaller when it comes to edge, but a better slicer and amazingly slim and unnoticeable in pocket. And if additionally you happen to prefer wire clips (which I don´t) - well... could be YOUR better Native either ;)

That being said: The Native is a great knife of course. But I´d wish for a choil-less version, featuring a longer edge and a true 4 finger handle instead...
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Right now the best bang for the buck is at the cutlery Shoppe....PM2 s30v bk g10 for $117!!!!! I bought one about 6 weeks ago as my first spyderco and that is what led to my insane spyderco spending spree! I have 10 now with one on the way and another I'm bidding on as we speak.....
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:43 pm
I’ll keep it simple.

VG10 Delica4.

Three iterations of improvement on the inspired original for less than US$80.00. The biggest BANG!

Now scientifically proven: https://youtu.be/GIhOvFnTV-Q :D

"VG10 = very gay (level 10)"...^^
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

For sheer bang for your buck the Byrd line wins hands down. I still appreciate the Dragonfly, Delica , Endura line for the quality and materials at a reasonably affordable price. The Urban LW is really a good value.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I believe the frn Chaparall and the Polestar. The s90v Native lw from cutleryshoppe was a great value. Best value was probably the manix lockback once it was discontinued.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

This has been an interesting and eye opening thread.

It made me take a look in a serious way at the Byrd line for the first time. When Vivi talks, people listen, and his comment made me look at the Cara Cara, and golly -- you can get one in FRN for $26. Bump it up to $39 and you can get G10. If you want an upgrade from 8Cr13Mov, you can shell out $53 and get the Raven 2 with BD1 steel. Given that both the Raven and the Tenacious are liner lock G10 knives, the Raven looks like more "bang for the buck" because of the BD1 steel -- at pretty much the same $50 price.

The Cara Cara "rescue" at $27 looks like a decent answer to the recent seat belt cutting thread.

I am just going to have to order one or more of these and see just how they are first hand.

And I'll keep an eye out for the Bow River -- Thanks everyone.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Mon May 27, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

For me all Spydercos are luxury goods. I can't justify the price on any of them based on performance. The exception may be the Salt line, which has in fact some amazing work knives that won't corrode.
I can justify Byrd prices for good, reliable and well designed pocket knives but enter Spyderco line and the gap is too big to justify. YMMV as the difference between the prices may not seem so much on your "economic environment".
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tonijedi wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:35 pm
For me all Spydercos are luxury goods. I can't justify the price on any of them based on performance. The exception may be the Salt line, which has in fact some amazing work knives that won't corrode.
I can justify Byrd prices for good, reliable and well designed pocket knives but enter Spyderco line and the gap is too big to justify. YMMV as the difference between the prices may not seem so much on your "economic environment".
I feel a bit different: For me the quality of many of the genuine Spyderco line knives (for example my choices when I started the thread, Endura and Chap lw) totally justifies their prices easily. They are really not expensive for what you get.
Now you might maybe think I am just a bit of a "fanboy" and just "adding my voice to the choir" but in all honesty: No, that's not the case.
Why? Cause I am one of the (probably rare???) examples who got into Spyderco without basically knowing anything about background, community, philosophy behind, line up and so on. I began to use Spyderco knives rather by happenstance, even thought they'd look a bit weired and not like a "real knife" should. But really, just by using and experiencing those knives I got convinced by the quality concerning design, ergos, usability, fit and finish that you really get for your money. Especially compared to other brands I knew.
The interest in Spydercos background and to realize how many more people feel similar came only very later.

Btw: I'm European, so I also have to pay around 25 to 30 % (I guess) more than in the US. But maybe the general income in my country is higher than in yours? (Don't know where you live).
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon May 27, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:15 pm
This has been an interesting and eye opening thread.

It made me take a look in a serious way at the Byrd line for the first time. When Vivi talks, people listen, and his comment made me look at the Cara Cara, and golly -- you can get one in FRN for $26. Bump it up to $39 and you can get G10. If you want an upgrade from 8Cr13Mov, you can shell out $53 and get the Raven 2 with BD1 steel. Given that both the Raven and the Tenacious are liner lock G10 knives, the Raven looks like more "bang for the buck" because of the BD1 steel -- at pretty much the same $50 price.

The Cara Cara "rescue" at $27 looks like a decent answer to the recent seat belt cutting thread.

I am just going to have to order one or more of these and see just how they are first hand.

And I'll keep an eye out for the Bow River -- Thanks everyone.
You are right, I also got more interested in the Byrd line stimulated by this thread. Funny, cause initially I did not think of that line, since I started the thread asking for SPYDERCOS best bang for the buck knife and did not even include the byrd knives in the genuine Spyderco line up in my mind ...