Why Doesn't Spyderco Use the Military Handle More?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Why Doesn't Spyderco Use the Military Handle More?

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:18 pm
That is the idea I had independently for a Militarized Endura, that I asked sal about in the other thread. Thanks for posting this.
Hi SEF, what other thread? Must have missed it.. ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:14 am
I am home sick, really sick, so I have been posting a lot more due to sheer boredom. Sorry.

The Military has the best handle shape of any of the large Spyderco knives I have handled. Even the choil does not bug ( :p ) me, as it does on all other knives. Why doesn't Spyderco use this handle on more knives. The Endura, for example, would be a better knife, at least I think so. Of course, it would also be longer in the pocket and maybe that is the reason. In any case, the Military has superior ergonomics for a large folder.
Hi Doc, hope you are feeling better already!

You are totally right on the superior ergos of the Millie. For me maybe only the Shaman is equally good in that regard or even better (the Stretch just comes very close for me).
Still, the Endura (my favorite folder of all times together with Stretch 1) would not be a better knife for me with a Millie handle, for the exact reason you mentioned: Just too long in the pocket, especially front pocket (where I like to carry my knives).
Other than that, let´s say backpocket- or even better legpocket carry (on a somewhat "tactical" pant): The Millie is really hard to beat handlewise.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Vivi wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:22 pm

Wharncliffe Millie, anyone???
YES! In Cruwear. :)
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

For me the egg shape in the middle of the handle is what makes it. The military has the best feeling handle of any folder I've picked up. The runner up for me is actually the sliverax. The pm2 has a similar shape of course but it feels crowded for my hand.

I'd think a different blade shape in the same handle would do very well with current military fans. A tanto (based on the more flowing spyderco lum designs, not the weird super angular things) or a wharncliffe would interest me. But I also suspect that to really break out of its current fan camp it would need a tip up option.
"Seven for One"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

silvershade255 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:22 pm
For me the egg shape in the middle of the handle is what makes it. The military has the best feeling handle of any folder I've picked up. The runner up for me is actually the sliverax. The pm2 has a similar shape of course but it feels crowded for my hand.

I'd think a different blade shape in the same handle would do very well with current military fans. A tanto (based on the more flowing spyderco lum designs, not the weird super angular things) or a wharncliffe would interest me. But I also suspect that to really break out of its current fan camp it would need a tip up option.
If you have or have handled a Shaman: How does it compare to the Millie for you comfort-wise?
For me though they're clearly different, I still could not tell which has the better ergos. Both great.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There's not a stouter tip or a more contoured handle than the C-46 Lum Tanto model. And this is coming from a guy who EDCs and loves the M390 Military.

The only thing I would change about the C-36 Military model would be the locking system. I've wondered how much better a compression lock would be on that Military model using a lock similar to the one found on the older/discontinued GUNTING model. That to me is one of the best folder locks ever in Spyder History.

But of all the Spyders I own I don't think there's a stronger, or more break resistant tip that the one on the C-46 Lum Tanto model.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:48 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
That is the idea I had independently for a Militarized Endura, that I asked sal about in the other thread. Thanks for posting this.
Hi SEF, what other thread? Must have missed it.. ?
The one about the pricing of the Military.

Wartstein, do you think our hope that Spyderco will eventually make a Lightweight Paramilitary and Military Tanto will ever materialize?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:32 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:48 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wartstein, do you think our hope that Spyderco will eventually make a Lightweight Paramilitary and Military Tanto will ever materialize?
SEF, on your question:

Lightweight PM2: I think if Spyderco would NOT make that model eventually or even quite soon, that would be one of their worst business related decisions ever... ;)
I mean, now that they obviously have managed to perfectly implement the comp. lock in a (almost) linerless FRN model (with the Para 3, Sage lw...) and took all the time and effort for development, and only would have to transfer that design in one of their most successfull models (PM2) it would be CRAZY not to do so,right?! I think a lightweight PM 2 will be a big seller. Many lightweight fans would buy one, but also most of the PM2 collectors I guess, even if not being much into FRN generally...

Milittary Tanto: Don´t know. While I´d like to see a Military with a bit stouter tip, for me personally that should not be done by making it a Tanto blade... that blade profile just never appealed to me, to be honest.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

We were discussing this around dinner last night. Had some knives out, and of course working around what we thought would work well. One of the not so outrageous thoughts was the Native 1 style blade with the swedge.