Why Doesn't Spyderco Use the Military Handle More?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Why Doesn't Spyderco Use the Military Handle More?

Post by Doc Dan »

I am home sick, really sick, so I have been posting a lot more due to sheer boredom. Sorry.

The Military has the best handle shape of any of the large Spyderco knives I have handled. Even the choil does not bug ( :p ) me, as it does on all other knives. Why doesn't Spyderco use this handle on more knives. The Endura, for example, would be a better knife, at least I think so. Of course, it would also be longer in the pocket and maybe that is the reason. In any case, the Military has superior ergonomics for a large folder.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JonLeBlanc

Re: Why Doesn't Spyderco Use the Military Handle More?

Post by JonLeBlanc »

On my understanding, the Military was designed (inter alia) to be used while wearing gloves, so while that does make for a good ergonomic shape all-around, a glove friendly design may not necessarily be the specific intention behind other knife handles. I do agree with you though that the Millie style handle deserves to be seen more often! Come to think of it, doesn't the Matriarch (or maybe Civilian?) also have sort of a Millie handle? I'd have to check on that...
Last edited by JonLeBlanc on Sat May 25, 2019 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Oops delete
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hey Doc, hope you feel better soon!

I remember seeing a picture here once of a modified Endura with Military style handle scales. I should try to find it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'd like to see that Connor
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

Hope you feel better.

Some handles are just unique to certain models. The Military, Cricket, etc. Eric has discussed making some other blade shapes for the Millie. Do you think there would be demand?

sal
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

sal wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:22 am
Hi Doc,

Hope you feel better.

Some handles are just unique to certain models. The Military, Cricket, etc. Eric has discussed making some other blade shapes for the Millie. Do you think there would be demand?

sal
Hi Sal,

I love to carry and use the Military. I'd like to see a blade similar but with a stronger tip. Maybe let us see some of these ideas.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:25 am

Hi Barry,

Finally found it. :) Here are some of the pictures of the Militarized Endura:

BOOMER52 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:35 pm
I tried out 'Militura' as a name for this MOD... but it didn't stick.  I've slipped back into referring to it as Endura/Military. 

Here are some pics of one that's mostly but not quite all OD green... frag blast texture... w/matching Delica/Lil'para...

And the thread from which they came:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43214&start=2800
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I like that! That's a great combo. Thanks for finding that Connor!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Mini2white wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:34 am
sal wrote:
Hi Doc,

Hope you feel better.

sal
Hi Sal,

I love to carry and use the Military. I'd like to see a blade similar but with a stronger tip. Maybe let us see some of these ideas.

I agree, something a little more Tenacious like or Pacific Salt like.

I've been saying for a long time that one of my dream knives is a Day Glow Semi Translucent Neon Yellow G10 Military Salt with DLC H1 SE and H1 PE blades that are as similar to the Pacific Salt blades as will fit in the Military handle. It would be the ultimate hard use outdoor/yard/salt/gloved hands folder.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:55 am
bearrowland wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:25 am

Hi Barry,

Finally found it. :) Here are some of the pictures of the Militarized Endura:

BOOMER52 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:35 pm
I tried out 'Militura' as a name for this MOD... but it didn't stick.  I've slipped back into referring to it as Endura/Military. 

Here are some pics of one that's mostly but not quite all OD green... frag blast texture... w/matching Delica/Lil'para...

And the thread from which they came:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43214&start=2800
I thought about getting one of those built so I could have a "backlock Military." Very slick mod!

Wharncliffe Millie, anyone???
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Hi Doc,

....Eric has discussed making some other blade shapes for the Millie. Do you think there would be demand?

sal
Just some ideas of things I personally would like to see in that regard:

Stouter tip (Endura-like)
Thinner bladestock
Longer blade (=better blade/handle ratio)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

That is the idea I had independently for a Militarized Endura, that I asked sal about in the other thread. Thanks for posting this.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Hi Doc,

Hope you feel better.

sal

I will literally pay you right now for a wharnie Military, especially if it retains some negative blade angle. If it also happens to be LN200N and SE I'll buy two.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Evil D wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:10 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Doc,

Hope you feel better.

sal

I will literally pay you right now for a wharnie Military, especially if it retains some negative blade angle. If it also happens to be LN200N and SE I'll buy two.
I know they appear to have decided to not do that but if they did, if they were to contact you and say "David, we have decided to make custom-fabricated knives for our long-term customers like yourself, out of appreciation of your patronage/business/interest in Spyderco," and then proceeded to allow you to specify all the details of the knife you want, and would actually manufacture the above versions: Lc200N blade, Wharncliffe Shape, Negative Blade Angle, and Serrated Edge, that would be like Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Years all rolled into one, wouldn't it? :) That is one of my greatest dreams is to see Spyderco do that.

If they were to do that, I would jump on the bandwagon and get this: Spyderco Tanto Military with FRN handle scales and serrated edge, Satin Finished Blade.
SpyderEdgeForever

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:13 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Doc,

....Eric has discussed making some other blade shapes for the Millie. Do you think there would be demand?

sal
Just some ideas of things I personally would like to see in that regard:

Stouter tip (Endura-like)
Thinner bladestock
Longer blade (=better blade/handle ratio)
I would be for the longer blade and also a blade in the 3.5 to 4 inch range, but with thicker blade stock, and the stouter tip and also a tanto-shaped one. I would also want FRN handles.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Hi Doc,

Hope you feel better.

sal
Hi Sal,

I think it would depend on the blade style that you have in mind. Many of us love the Military precisely because of that great blade.

What styles are you thinking about?
Maybe a drop point with a reinforced tip? I know some would like a tanto but I am not a fan, personally.

(I love the Millie, but would only change the lock somehow)
Last edited by Doc Dan on Sat May 25, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

A Military blade longer than 4” might severely constrain sales owing to local laws. It’s already illegal to carry a Military publicly in Colorado where they are manufactured!

I see fairly strong sentiment for an American tanto blade shape, which could potentially satisfy both the tanto lovers and those desiring a more robust tip.
sliceofaloha

Post by sliceofaloha »

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hope you’re feeling much better Doc. :)

Don’t know the answer to your question but I’m glad the Military has the handle it has. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin