More Japanese steel sprints?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Marulaghost

More Japanese steel sprints?

Post by Marulaghost »

I'm honestly curious what other steels from Japan could be turned into folders.

The total list so far that I'm aware of:
Good ol' VG10
The out of this world ZDP189
The trusty and never rusty H1
The superb Super Blue
My personal favorite V Toku 2
Everyone's favorite HAP 40
And the new kid on the block SG2

Are there any other steels that spyderco could bring to market?
As awesome as I've heard White steel is i've vaguely heard that supply is too limited to be viable.
What else is there?
The Mastiff

Re: More Japanese steel sprints?

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm always up for these. Good steels in the platforms I usually carry the most. I'm still hoping for SRS 15 , YXR7, and I'll throw in Hap 5 even though it's the least likely.

White steel isn't all that different from W2 ( or other W steels), or 1095 for that matter though white steels tend to have higher carbon content.

Joe
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:38 pm
I'm always up for these. Good steels in the platforms I usually carry the most. I'm still hoping for SRS 15 , YXR7, and I'll throw in Hap 5 even though it's the least likely.

I am up for whichever of these three that can be made into the usual suspects (Delica, Endela, Endura, Dragonfly, and hopefully a Jester this time around) with a SOLID unclad blade, and can be heat treated to perform similarly (extremely tough, nearly stainless, very easy to sharpen, VERY respectable wear resistance and edge holding) to the Golden produced CPM-CRUWEAR folders as I have heard both SRS15 and Hap5R compared to CPM-CRUWEAR. YXR7 I don't know anything about. I would like to see a new earth tone FRN color and TiCN coated options as well for this series. I think there would be great enough demand to warrant running both satin and TiCN if they can deliver a solid CRUWEAR-esque steel in the models I mentioned. CRUWEAR...so hot right now...CRUWEAR
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

Marulaghost wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:03 pm
I'm honestly curious what other steels from Japan could be turned into folders.

The total list so far that I'm aware of:
Good ol' VG10
The out of this world ZDP189
The trusty and never rusty H1
The superb Super Blue
My personal favorite V Toku 2
Everyone's favorite HAP 40
And the new kid on the block SG2

Are there any other steels that spyderco could bring to market?
As awesome as I've heard White steel is i've vaguely heard that supply is too limited to be viable.
What else is there?

Got them all. :D Only one though with personally preferred scales material, the Stretch2. And wouldn't (won't) replace my Hap40 Meerkat. Too few G10/CF/titanium scale models from Japan, a bummer in my opinion.

Open for more new awesome steels, preferrably non-FRN! ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Hitachi White (used by Murray Carter)
Laminated COS (used by Fallkniven, and one I'd like to see in the Seki models)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They did a Mule in Cobalt Special. Not sure why that never made it into production.

I have seen a couple in kitchen knives that could be fun. There is SLD which I believe is like D2. There is Chromax which looks like A2.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I think it's been about two years ago and I believe it was SAL himself that started and thread on Japanese Steels. There was a lot of supersteels and steel makers listed in that thread. Which makes me wonder why we don't have more Japan made Spyders in Sprint Runs but with one of their newer/better blade steels. I know that Japan has many supersteels themselves. And this is coming from a guy who is still a fan of VG-10.

But there are so many changes taking place that I feel it's high time we see a Japan made Sprint Run with one of their Supersteels. It's truly time we had a break from VG-10 IMO. And not ZDP-189 either because we've had a nice run with that steel >> I'm wanting to see something they have not yet used in a model.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:17 am
I think it's been about two years ago and I believe it was SAL himself that started and thread on Japanese Steels. There was a lot of supersteels and steel makers listed in that thread. Which makes me wonder why we don't have more Japan made Spyders in Sprint Runs but with one of their newer/better blade steels. I know that Japan has many supersteels themselves. And this is coming from a guy who is still a fan of VG-10.
I'm still not sure what a super steel really is, but was that thread before or after hap40?
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

K390
Justin
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Bearfacedkiller, Are you sure it was Chromax? That is like 4140 which is a medium carbon alloy used in axes, tomahawks,and even gun barrels and receivers.
Not sure how it would do in knives.

http://www.globalmetals.com.au/_pdf/Cro ... 4_4140.pdf
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd love to see more ZDP-189 with the heat treat in the 66hrc neighborhood. A PE hawkbill Dfly or Tasman would be top of my list. Wharncliffe Dfly would also be cool.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:08 pm
Bearfacedkiller, Are you sure it was Chromax? That is like 4140 which is a medium carbon alloy used in axes, tomahawks,and even gun barrels and receivers.
Not sure how it would do in knives.

http://www.globalmetals.com.au/_pdf/Cro ... 4_4140.pdf
I have only seen one maker use it and I cannot find any other info on it.

“Chromax is composed of 5% Chromium, 1% Carbon, 0.9% Manganese, 1.2% Molybdenum and 0.5% Vanadium.”
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:15 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:17 am
I'm still not sure what a super steel really is, but was that thread before or after hap40?
No HAP 40 was already on the scene when this thread was going. They listed other HAP steels on that thread too. They listed Cowry X which is a steel I've heard a lot good about but have not yet snagged a blade with that steel.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:31 am
I'd love to see more ZDP-189 with the heat treat in the 66hrc neighborhood. A PE hawkbill Dfly or Tasman would be top of my list. Wharncliffe Dfly would also be cool.
You know now that I think it over I wouldn't mind seeing a small fixed blade in the size range of the STREETBEAT in ZDP-189. I think it would be great for that type of knife. However I've heard from a couple of guys that Cowry X actually performs a bit better than ZDP-189
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:11 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:31 am
You know now that I think it over I wouldn't mind seeing a small fixed blade in the size range of the STREETBEAT in ZDP-189. I think it would be great for that type of knife. However I've heard from a couple of guys that Cowry X actually performs a bit better than ZDP-189
Never heard of cowryX. Looks very similar to ZDP.
Image...
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal