Spydiechef blade centering

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
neuronic

Spydiechef blade centering

Post by neuronic »

Received my new Spydiechef yesterday... came with really bad lock stick (need to pry it open every once in a while because it's so stuck) and very stiff action.

Took it apart, cleaned it, oiled it with some 85w nano oil, put some sharpie on the lock faces (didn't help), but when I reassambled it I noticed I could not get the blade centered unless I really crank the pivot screw up to a point I can barely open or close the knife...
When I have the pivot tension like I have it on my PM2 or my Manix, the blade is almost touching the scale.

Anyone else had this issue?
Thanks!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Spydiechef blade centering

Post by Doc Dan »

I don’t know...it does not sound like a pivot problem to me. Put your pivot back where you like it...a little looser but not much. Loosen all scale screws. Put a wedge of paper between the scale and blade so the blade is in the right spot. Tighten the screws and pivot. Remove paper. That should fix it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

neuronic wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:25 am
Received my new Spydiechef yesterday... came with really bad lock stick (need to pry it open every once in a while because it's so stuck) and very stiff action.

Took it apart, cleaned it, oiled it with some 85w nano oil, put some sharpie on the lock faces (didn't help), but when I reassambled it I noticed I could not get the blade centered unless I really crank the pivot screw up to a point I can barely open or close the knife...
When I have the pivot tension like I have it on my PM2 or my Manix, the blade is almost touching the scale.

Anyone else had this issue?
Thanks!

Mine has only the slightest "tick" of lock stick and has been otherwise perfect from day one. That being said, My buddy took his apart to inspect /oil the pivot and had the same issues as your sample . I suggested he take it back apart and slowly reassemble making sure to rotate the stop pin making sure it was square in the scale. He successful solved his centering issue by doing just that. Not sure it will help...but what can it hurt?

Doc Dan has a good suggestion also.
Good luck...

James
Big50

Post by Big50 »

If your Chef was sentered before disassembly, I think Extra330sc might be correct in suggesting something isn’t quite reassembled correctly. With my Southard I had difficulties with the keyed pivot. With another knife I had a back spacer that wasn’t aligning correctly. On some knives the stop pin is really tricky.

So far as lockstick, mine went away with time. I’ve heard anecdotal reports of some folks having greater difficulty though.

Goos luck.