Endela-thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Endela-thread

Post by steelcity16 »

spyderHS08 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:32 am

Can’t wait for a g10 variant of this!!!

Don't hold your breath. G10 knives out of Seki City are too costly to produce. The demand just isn't there at the price they have to charge. That's why there are no longer G10 Delicas and Enduras im the lineup.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well, mine´s here finally :)

No time for detailed initial thoughts right now.. just that I knew from the first second I got it in hands: It´s a keeper for sure, so I´ll carry it today of course. Out of the box sharper than any Spyderco I received till today (and they were all sharp enough!), might be due to that serrations / chisel grind.

Quick comparison-pic to the "rest" of the Endura-family (DFly is missing, don´t have one)...

Only tiny "flaw" for me: Either blade could be a bit longer or handle a bit shorter (when closed it has that "gap" between tip of the blade and end of the handle, like the Delica has, but not so the Endura)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:56 pm

No time for detailed initial thoughts right now.. just that I knew from the first second I got it in hands: It´s a keeper for sure, so I´ll carry it today of course. Out of the box sharper than any Spyderco I received till today (and they were all sharp enough!), might be due to that serrations / chisel grind.

Quick comparison-pic to the "rest" of the Endura-family (DFly is missing, don´t have one)...

Only tiny "flaw" for me: Either blade could be a bit longer or handle a bit shorter (when closed it has that "gap" between tip of the blade and end of the handle, like the Delica has, but not so the Endura)

Still waiting for mine...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderwolf wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:04 am
Wartstein wrote:

Still waiting for mine...
It's worth the wait... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That knife looks about right, in my eyes. I really want to hold one, however, because of my large hands.

Vivi, where are you?

I think I like the blade shape much better than the Endura.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:

(DFly is missing, don´t have one)...

:eek: No Dragonfly!!! How can that be!!!??? :D :D :D

You need one and once you do, you will enter a larger world, padawan. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 am
Wartstein wrote:

(DFly is missing, don´t have one)...

:eek: No Dragonfly!!! How can that be!!!??? :D :D :D

You need one and once you do, you will enter a larger world, padawan. :D
Actually there's no way I could resist the upcoming WHARNIE DFly... :D
Dgregory0118

Post by Dgregory0118 »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:03 pm
Hi Dgregory,

I guess I should welcome you to our forum. Don't remember if I've welcomed you before.

sal
Thanks, Sal!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Hopefully they were just waiting for the base model Endela release before announcing the full Seki lineup sprint run of K390 :D :cool: :spyder:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:

Hopefully there will be a saber ground combo edge in foliage green or black/black to match the Delicas and Enduras.

And just look at all of those beautiful Boye Dents! Makes me sad the Police LW is lacking one. :(
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:38 pm
Hopefully they were just waiting for the base model Endela release before announcing the full Seki lineup sprint run of K390 :D :cool: :spyder:
What about the Wharnie DFly or the Police 4 LW? I'm not sure if the Police 4 LW will be a part of the Seki sprint runs given its large size, but I think the two new DFlies should be. A post from earlier today said the Wharnie DFly is starting to pop up on a few sites. So I guess the Seki sprint run may not be too far away. Though I could see Spyderco waiting a bit, giving some time for the VG-10 models to sell on their own. That said, Sal has mentioned a K390 Police 4 LW. That makes me wonder if it would be cheaper to send a bunch of K390 to Seki for the Police 4 LW and the rest of the Seki lineup than to send a little bit K390 and use a Japanese steel for the other models.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I've had my Endura 4 LWT C10FPBK-J-122 since 7-15-2015 (just checked my email receipt) and recently fell in love with it. And I got an Endela last Wednesday and am breaking it in. The Endela is quickly growing on me. Right now I love them both.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z4vdBt wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:45 am
I've had my Endura 4 LWT C10FPBK-J-122 since 7-15-2015 (just checked my email receipt) and recently fell in love with it. And I got an Endela last Wednesday and am breaking it in. The Endela is quickly growing on me. Right now I love them both.
I´ll do a more detailled review anyway as soon as I find time for that, but for me the Endela clearly has the best (and best sized) handle out of Endura, Endela, Delica (and I really LIKE the Endura- and also Delica- handle). The blade length still is a point for the Endura.

That beeing said: In my case the Endela is still growing on me too... and for me it started out already at a very high "popularity rating".. ;)

For people who like the PM2 dimensions in both handle and blade length, the Endela will be perfect. And is still a noticable slimmer and lighter carry than the PM 2...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve been waffling on the hap40 Cutlery Shoppe endura exclusive because of the endela- which seems perfect. But have pm2s, that blade length is covered. Decisions decisions!

🤷‍♂️
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:20 am
I´ll do a more detailled review anyway as soon as I find time for that, but for me the Endela clearly has the best (and best sized) handle out of Endura, Endela, Delica (and I really LIKE the Endura- and also Delica- handle). The blade length still is a point for the Endura.

That beeing said: In my case the Endela is still growing on me too... and for me it started out already at a very high "popularity rating".. ;)

For people who like the PM2 dimensions in both handle and blade length, the Endela will be perfect. And is still a noticable slimmer and lighter carry than the PM 2...

What got me into my lockbacks was Sal's Blade 2019 video where he talks about and demonstrates one handed closing ( starts at around 4:12 ). Learned something new!

I've carried my camo DLC PM2 for a year 4 months now and could see the Endura 4 LWT or Endela taking her place one day.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z4vdBt wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:53 am
Wartstein wrote:

What got me into my lockbacks was Sal's Blade 2019 video where he talks about and demonstrates one handed closing ( starts at around 4:12 ). Learned something new!

I've carried my camo DLC PM2 for a year 4 months now and could see the Endura 4 LWT or Endela taking her place one day.
I'd strongly suggest that you give backlocks a chance and just a bit practice time! I use them a lot, and could show you straight away 5 one handed closing methods at least as fast and easy as a comp.lock... Vivi has a link in his signature where he demonstrates some of those methods.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Here are three one handed closing methods for Spyderco lockbacks.

1. Depress lock bar and let the blade drop, and catch the kick with your index finger, then move your fingers out of the way and swing shut.

2. Depress lock bar with thumb while index finger stays in opening hole and guides the blade shut. Keeping the index finger there prevents the blade from swinging into the other fingers. This is the method I use, I have never cut myself this way.

3. Depress lock bar and swing the blade shut with inertia. This is perfect for people that don't have confidence in their ability to move their fingers out of the way ;)

Video demonstration - https://streamable.com/2rzwf
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z4vdBt wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:53 am
Wartstein wrote:

Vivi wrote: Here are three one handed closing methods for Spyderco lockbacks.

1. Depress lock bar and let the blade drop, and catch the kick with your index finger, then move your fingers out of the way and swing shut.

2. Depress lock bar with thumb while index finger stays in opening hole and guides the blade shut. Keeping the index finger there prevents the blade from swinging into the other fingers. This is the method I use, I have never cut myself this way.

3. Depress lock bar and swing the blade shut with inertia. This is perfect for people that don't have confidence in their ability to move their fingers out of the way ;)

Video demonstration - https://streamable.com/2rzwf
Thanks, Vivi!! I may give two more little details to your point three: Of course depress the lockbar with your INDEX finger on the lockbar; and: This method requires a bit more finger strength and/or a not too stiff action imho

And let me add three methods I use quite frequently:

4. Depress lock bar with thumb; pull blade about half way shut with index finger in the hole; then put index- and middle finger on the spine (and while doing so almost automatically move ring finger and pinky out of the blade path); close knife fully by pressing on the spine with index and middle finger

5. Depress lockbar with thumb; pull blade about half way shut with index finger in the hole (so far like in 4. (and vivis 2.)) ; rotate the knife in your hand 180 degrees so that the BACK of the handle is facing downwards (towards your palm); close the knife with your THUMB on the spine

6.) Depress lock bar with thumb; pull blade half way shut with thumb in the hole (so far like in 4. and 5.); index finger stays on the right side of the hole (if you are right handed); put thumb on the other side of the hole and "pinch" the blade/hole between those two fingers; swing the HANDLE shut upwards towards the edge (so kind of a "reverse spydie drop")
vivi

Post by vivi »

One other thing to keep in mind with backlocks vs comp/frame/liner locks, is their action gets significantly smoother after opening and closing them a couple hundred times.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:53 pm
One other thing to keep in mind with backlocks vs comp/frame/liner locks, is their action gets significantly smoother after opening and closing them a couple hundred times.
Very true. My new Endela already starts to get smoother when opening and closing, just from frequently DOING so..