Endela-thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Endela-thread

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:08 am
Jazz wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34 am
Sonorum wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:49 am

I really like your photosop pic, That looks really comfortable, yet still has the swell for good retention.

I figure that´s exactly what Sal wanted to achieve when redesiging the Endura handle into the Endela handle, but for some he maybe did not go far enough?! (Though tbh, I personally am glad he did NOT "go to far" but still make the Endela handle a true "Endura family shaped handle")

See also HERE: viewtopic.php?t=83743#p1326225

See the "progression" from Endura / Endela / Sonorums proposal concerning "point" between the finger grooves below (1 Endura 2 Endela 3 fictive Endela proposal by Sonorum) - don´t you think Sal did mellow out that point enough already from Endura to Endela?

Sonorum's handle is the fix that the Endelica family needs to be truly great!

Someone should take note.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:08 am
Jazz wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34 am
Sonorum wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:49 am

Sonorum's handle is the fix that the Endelica family needs to be truly great!

Someone should take note.
I persnally still think Sal mellowed out the "point" enough already from Endura to Endela.. but admittedly, I don´t have any issue with both the Endura and the Endela handle, love them both.

But I may post Sals reasoning concerning the way / amount he altered the handle once more (link plus copy and paste) - so as far as I understand the still existing "finger grooves" are partly there to (quoting Sal:) "avoid the "rolling" of a "stick" handle". Maybe THAT´s exactly what I like so much in Endura and Endela handle?!

viewtopic.php?t=83743#p1326225

"Very observant Warstein.

I designed the handle with less pronounced "finger placement" due to the complaints that I'd received about the Endura by some that it didn't fit, and I wanted to avoid that issue. There is still enough to avoid the "rolling" of a "stick" handle, but it might be more comfortable for some people.

sal"
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I respectfully disagree.

The proposed handle is completely neutral and will fit everyone, while still preventing the rolling issue. It is very close to the Caribbean's handle, which I find to be almost perfect.

I see no reason to make multiple finger gooves, when the same can be achieved by a gentle curve. The Yojimbo is a prime example. It is a fantastic knife, but my hand didnt fit properly into the predefined grip area, so I had to sell it. Why purposely limit the potential market for the knife?

I for one have saved the image and will be using it to have a new handle made.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:19 am
I respectfully disagree.

The proposed handle is completely neutral and will fit everyone, while still preventing the rolling issue. It is very close to the Caribbean's handle, which I find to be almost perfect.

I see no reason to make multiple finger gooves, when the same can be achieved by a gentle curve. The Yojimbo is a prime example. It is a fantastic knife, but my hand didnt fit properly into the predefined grip area, so I had to sell it. Why purposely limit the potential market for the knife?

Great thing (for you) that Sonorum made this pic then! :)

For me the Endela handle honestly is just perfect, but I have to admit: Perhaps Sonorums take on it would still be perfect for me and more universally fitting for more people?! Can´t tell..
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:39 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
I respectfully disagree.

Great thing (for you) that Sonorum made this pic then! :)

For me the Endela handle honestly is just perfect, but I have to admit: Perhaps Sonorums take on it would still be perfect for me and more universally fitting for more people?! Can´t tell..
The Endela handle isn't bad but it could perhaps be slightly better for more people. Call it the sonor-ela while you're at it :D
/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sonorum wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:35 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:39 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
The Endela handle isn't bad but it could perhaps be slightly better for more people. Call it the sonor-ela while you're at it :D

Sonor-ela.. If ever available I´ll certainly get one (but just in SE ! ;) ) and compare it to the regular Endela! :)
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

You could always sand the area that protrudes to fit your hand. I have an Endura that I sanded the bulge where the middle finger hits. It is not hard to do and looks like it came from the factory that way. Looks like the photo shopped pic above.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I ordered a serrated Endela a few months ago just because I'm a sucker for spyderedges and because I was curious. Never carried the knife until one week ago when I decided to give it a try. First and foremost I was commited to remove that hump near the tip and mod it as I usually do with my Pac Salts... I like my blades to be as pointy as possible but... I changed my mind because I was sure I was not going to keep it in my collection. Long story short : I like the d*a*m*n knife more than I thought I would. Sweet lord, I even started to appreciate the blade shape, hump and all ... it's such a good allaround working folder and that drop point gives me decent piercing capability and confidence in the same time. Ergos are good for my medium hands but that Endura 4 style handle shape is not quite my cup of tea... I allways favor the Endura 3 style handle shape... however, it's not a biggie. Is it going to displace my beloved SE wharnie Delica ? I doubt but the jury is still out.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:28 pm
I ordered a serrated Endela a few months ago just because I'm a sucker for spyderedges and because I was curious. Never carried the knife until one week ago when I decided to give it a try. First and foremost I was commited to remove that hump near the tip and mod it as I usually do with my Pac Salts... I like my blades to be as pointy as possible but... I changed my mind because I was sure I was not going to keep it in my collection. Long story short : I like the d*a*m*n knife more than I thought I would. Sweet lord, I even started to appreciate the blade shape, hump and all ... it's such a good allaround working folder and that drop point gives me decent piercing capability and confidence in the same time. Ergos are good for my medium hands but that Endura 4 style handle shape is not quite my cup of tea... I allways favor the Endura 3 style handle shape... however, it's not a biggie. Is it going to displace my beloved SE wharnie Delica ? I doubt but the jury is still out.

Very cool that an obviously very experienced and long time Spyderco - user and collector (certainly more so than I am) seconds my impression and recommendation of the Endela SE! :)

"Such a good allaround working folder" sums it up perfectly

Though I have to say: I never had a SE wharnie Delica, but I could see this being one of the few Spydercos that should and could be an even better cutter than the Endela SE, especially given the thinner stock of the Delica and its ffg grind (while the "regular" SE Delica is sabre grind and no match to the Endela SE imho when it comes to pure cutting power).
Bigspyder

Post by Bigspyder »

Nobody has spoke about the one grip option that Endura offers. With Endura you can take grip from the back of the handle. I mean that first fingergroove where you normally put your indexfinger and middlefinger. If you put only indexfinger there and middlefinger on the next groove (middlefinger behind the first "bump") . Like that you get grip from more back on the handle. If I was not clear, I can put my ringfinger and littlefinger on the last portion of the handle, behind the last "bump".

Question: Is this possible with Endela, because the handle is shorter? Or do your pinkie hang of the handle.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bigspyder wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:55 am
Nobody has spoke about the one grip option that Endura offers. With Endura you can take grip from the back of the handle. I mean that first fingergroove where you normally put your indexfinger and middlefinger. If you put only indexfinger there and middlefinger on the next groove (middlefinger behind the first "bump") . Like that you get grip from more back on the handle. If I was not clear, I can put my ringfinger and littlefinger on the last portion of the handle, behind the last "bump".

Question: Is this possible with Endela, because the handle is shorter? Or do your pinkie hang of the handle.

I get what you mean!

I have L to XL hand, and if I grip the Endela as you describe, there is still small bit of handle sticking out behind the ring finger (I´d say about 2 to 3 mm). Far from "pinkie hang of the handle)

That grip feels almost exactly like on the Endura, just a tad even more comfortable, since the Endela handle is a bit more hand filling (due to the shallower finger placements)
Bigspyder

Post by Bigspyder »

Thanks mate!

Btw. That was my first post to this forum 😆. So hi to everybody!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bigspyder wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:56 am
Thanks mate!

Oh, didn't realize that! Welcome, and glad I could reply to your very first post!

/ And get an Endela.. in SE, you'll love its performance! :)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bigspyder,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bigspyder wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:56 am
Thanks mate!

Welcome to the forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bigspyder

Post by Bigspyder »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:31 am
Hi Bigspyder,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks Sal!

Can you confirm, was this grip option one of the idea on the Endela handle desing?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Bigspyder wrote:

I like how you think, bro, and welcome to the forum.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Bigspyder

Post by Bigspyder »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:55 am
Bigspyder wrote:

I like how you think, bro, and welcome to the forum.
Thanks!
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Can someone tell me whether the clip from Delica 4 is interchangeable with Endela?

Not sure if they match length wise.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:34 am
Can someone tell me whether the clip from Delica 4 is interchangeable with Endela?

Not sure if they match length wise.

I am almost certain it is, but will check when at home