Endela-thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z4vdBt

Re: Endela-thread

Post by z4vdBt »

Having my Endela modded to a straight spine.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

How long till the Cruwear Endela?? :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Is Seki City capable of working with steels like Maxamet? I'm eager to try HAP72 and I figure getting Hitachi steel is by far cheapest for the Seki facility. Just wondering.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

z4vdBt wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:16 am

Pic please ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:22 am
How long till the Cruwear Endela?? :D
YAAS!
sal

Post by sal »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:43 am
sal wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Thanx much for all of the very detailed and thoughtful input on the design. It helps me understand your thought.

sal

Any plans for saber ground combo edge variations in Foliage Green and/or black/black to match the Delicas and Enduras? I would love to see both of these on the Endela as well as the Police LW.

Hi Steelcity,

We probably won't make a saber ground version. Stainless scales is still up for question. Colors and steel variations will be possible depending on demand.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:34 am
steelcity16 wrote:
sal wrote:

Thanx much for all of the very detailed and thoughtful input on the design. It helps me understand your thought.

sal

Any plans for saber ground combo edge variations in Foliage Green and/or black/black to match the Delicas and Enduras? I would love to see both of these on the Endela as well as the Police LW.

Hi Steelcity,

We probably won't make a saber ground version. Stainless scales is still up for question. Colors and steel variations will be possible depending on demand.

sal

This is too bad. The Foliage Green Saber Ground Combo Edge are my favorite standard production Delica and Endura. I'll be happy if the Police LW gets this treatment though. I would think that would be a popular model.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:16 pm
sal wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
sal wrote:
This is too bad. The Foliage Green Saber Ground Combo Edge are my favorite standard production Delica and Endura. I'll be happy if the Police LW gets this treatment though. I would think that would be a popular model.
I too think a sabre ground version would fit the Endela well. Though 99% of the time I prefer ffg, I keep ONE sabre ground Endura as an extreme hard use blade (ok, tbh I rarely use and carry it, cause my ffg Enduras can take any hard use I normally would do. Still, I like to have the SG Endura).

Many people seem to think, that thicker or sabre ground hard use blades are best suited for bigger knives. Imho that is probably true for fixed blades, but in folders where real chopping never is a main goal anyway, I think middle ground blades (like Endela or Shaman) are the best for thick, strong blades. Really long (folder!) blades (Police, Chief) should rather be thinner and slicey, small ones too. Just MY personal preference of course!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
sal wrote:

sal

Hi Steelcity,

sal

For me just a blue handled VG10 PE one to accompany my SE, and I am a happy man... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:59 am
z4vdBt wrote:
Pic please ...
Will post a pic here when I get it back.

:)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

z4vdBt wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:08 pm
elena86 wrote:
z4vdBt wrote:
Pic please ...

I'll do it myself ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:02 pm
z4vdBt wrote:
elena86 wrote:
z4vdBt wrote:
Pic please ...

I'll do it myself ....

ok - you post your pic then lol.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z4vdBt wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:06 am
elena86 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:02 pm
z4vdBt wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Pic please ...

I'll do it myself ....

ok - you post your pic then lol.

I'd never do that mod myself (love the drop on the tip), but would like to see both pics... :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:59 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:06 pm

Thanks for sharing!
And I think I remember, it was you who said the Endela is or at least looks very balanced, more so than for example the Stretch 1? I objected that a bit, but now have to admit that you were right, when it comes to looks! Functionwise though I´d still like a few millimeters more.

You know, I feel stupid saying this, but I think the handle should be just a wee bit shorter. Not because I think it’s unbalanced, but for my personal size tastes. Only because it would feel like I was using a smaller knife, which I like. That probably doesn’t make sense. I do like it though. Cuts wood nice, and apples too.
I am a bit divided on that:

If the Endela would have been developed as a totally new, not somewhat related to other models knife, I´d fully get the blade / handle ratio. Really almost similar to the PM 2, you get a blade length many seem to like (and tbh is sufficient for most tasks, though I´d prefer it to be a tad longer) on a very generous, perfectly sized handle that offers several good grip options (more than the PM 2 does).

If I think of the Endela as a middle ground between Endura and Delica though, I think the handle indeed could be shorter.
As it is, the BLADE of the Endela really is between Delica and Endura (though still closer to the Endura), while the HANDLE for me is 90 % Endura and just 10 % Delica... the handle could be more than 5 to 8 mm shorter and still easily accomodate the blade, plus the knive would look much more like a true "between Endura and Delica" model.
That being said: I am glad, that the handle is as it is right now, and can absolutely live with the shorter blade, though my dream-Endela would have 5 mm more edge.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I think the Endela should have been shorter on both sides... a shorter handle and a slightly shorter blade. As it is, it's closer to the Endura and that's quite redundant IMO. Even so, I am commited to purchase a serrated one and re-grind that spine to a pointy tip and I might like it. I only wish Spyderco decides to release a serrated ffg Delica. THAT would be a helluva edc folder for me.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:41 am
I think the Endela should have been shorter on both sides... a shorter handle and a slightly shorter blade. As it is, it's closer to the Endura and that's quite redundant IMO. Even so, I am commited to purchase a serrated one and re-grind that spine to a pointy tip and I might like it. I only wish Spyderco decides to release a serrated ffg Delica. THAT would be a helluva edc folder for me.
I have to disagree: While it would be just logic if it had a shorter handle just if you wanted to truly design a middleground knife between Endura and Delica (other than that the handle is perfect as it is!), the blade really should not be any shorter. My reasoning: a shorter blade would really put the Endela TOO close to the Delica functionwise in being then "just" another small knife with a blade that does not have all the advantages of a longer one.

And as much as I think the Endela is quite close in size to the Endura handlewise and concerning closed size: I still like to use and carry the Endela a lot more, despite in use I prefer the longer Endura blade...

But however I look at it: For me the Endela clearly is a knife that has been missing in Spydercos line up and as I´ve said before: The first (or in fact ONLY) knife in a LONG time that successfully broke into my two-model-Endura 4-Stretch 1-rotation...
FK

Post by FK »

My big disappointment with the Endela is the 3mm blade thickness.
IMHO it would have been much better with 2.5mm blade stock,, a 3 inch sharpened length slicer would be excellent.
The thicker blade stock is not necessary for a pocket knife of this size.

Regards,
FK
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FK wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:25 am
IMHO it would have been much better with 2.5mm blade stock,, a 3 inch sharpened length slicer would be excellent.

Regards,
FK
I am with you to some degree (love thinner blades), but you know that no Spyderco in that size range is thinner (except the Centofante), many are THICKER (PM 2, almost exactly Endela size, 3.7 mm stock...)??
FK

Post by FK »

The Endela is 3mm stock,,,,, PM 2 is 3.58mm (0.141").
Small difference but noticible when deep slicing.
This is reason many custom makers offer blade regrinding to thin out blade proper and behind the edge reduction.

Regards,
FK
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

FK wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:25 am

Regards,
FK

Funny, how I love the thickness the best of all it's properties. It's still FFG and cuts well. I wouldn't want a wafer I'm scared of using, that can bend when the wind hits it right.
- best wishes, Jazz.