Endela-thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Endela-thread

Post by Wartstein »

Not too relevant, but still somewhat interesting:

Sal once mentioned something like that the Endela is designed to fill the gap between Endura and Delica, a role originally the Stretch should have taken, but did sell less than expected.

Now it´s interesting how close the measurements of Stretch 2 FRN and Endela really are:

Overall length: 8.14" (207mm) / 8.10" (206mm)
Closed length: 4.71" (120mm) / 4.69" (119mm)
Blade length: 3.43" (87mm) / 3.41" (87mm)
Edge length: 2.97" (75mm) / 2.99" (76mm)
Same blade thickness of 3mm of course

So virtually the same in most aspects.

The good thing: Now in that price and size category one can truly decide, wether he or she wants a choil or not; appreciates the (imho) great but a bit "funky looking" Stretch blade shape or the more "classic" of the Endela; and prefers the Stretch ergos (probably even more comfortable for many, but placing the hand further from the edge in a regular grip) or the one of the Endela.
Most other aspects will be quite the same
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The new "byte" features an article about the Endela including the ultimate Endura-family-size comparison pic... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:11 pm
The new "byte" features an article about the Endela including the ultimate Endura-family-size comparison pic... ;)

It’s a perfect pic for comparison. I’m disappointed that the family pic is missing the best one - wharncliffe Delica. :eek:
- best wishes, Jazz.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Presumably there will be a wharnie endela at some point?
mn700vforce

Post by mn700vforce »

I will wait till they offer it with an Orange handle
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mn700vforce wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:16 pm
I'd somehow LIKE to wait till they offer it with a blue handle, but don't think I can... too courious how the Endela feels in hand..
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:19 pm
mn700vforce wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:16 pm
I'd somehow LIKE to wait till they offer it with a blue handle, but don't think I can... too courious how the Endela feels in hand..
Yes, blue or grey. But black is safe and allows them to test the market reception.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I noticed the Endela seems to have more belly than the Endura.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I noticed that too. Initially I wasn’t happy about it, but decided I really don’t have a problem with it.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Make it shorter and it has to be narrower or have more belly. I opted for the more belly.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:50 pm
Make it shorter and it has to be narrower or have more belly. I opted for the more belly.

sal
Personally I'm glad that it's "more belly" and not "narrower".
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:50 pm

sal
I am thrilled with the blade shape: More Delica, less Endura.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Do some more people happen to actually have the Endela meanwhile and like to share thoughts on and impressions of it?
In Europe it was available for a short time, but is not currently, as far as I'm aware of.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd like to see a Foliage Green combo edge like the Delica and Endura.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Held one in my hand today... ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!!! I will be getting one but it didn't happen today as I went with another model that was a last chance offering that I hadn't planned on.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:38 pm
Held one in my hand today... ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!!!
Thanks, good to hear!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I would have liked to see Spyderco go with a deep carry wire clip on the Endela. Something like this would help it stand out from the Delica and Endura (and even the Native LW) and maybe drive additional sales. A lot of people have mentioned wanting a deep carry wire clip on the Delica 5, so this would have been a good gauge on people's reaction to a wire clip on the Endela. Just food for thought. Too late now.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:08 pm
I would have liked to see Spyderco go with a deep carry wire clip on the Endela. Something like this would help it stand out from the Delica and Endura (and even the Native LW) and maybe drive additional sales. A lot of people have mentioned wanting a deep carry wire clip on the Delica 5, so this would have been a good gauge on people's reaction to a wire clip on the Endela. Just food for thought. Too late now.
I have to respectfully but absolutely disagree.

I'll admit, that I generally prefer the hour glass clip anyway and also think it's in any case the better choice than the wire clip for a knife meant to be for a broad variety of customers (so also beginners, "non knife people" and so on), cause it's more robust.

But even more important imho, the Endela is exactly NOT meant to "stand out from Delica and Endura", but just keep their great, tried and trusted overall design in a very usefull middle ground size.

And deep carry? Please NO for me. I never really understood what's the appeal there: Makes the knife longer and feeling bigger in the pocket and harder to access resp. places your thumb further away from the opening hole when drawing the knife.

Just my 2c of course.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Can’t wait for a g10 variant of this!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderHS08 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:32 am
Can’t wait for a g10 variant of this!!!
My dream version: Rough Micarta and cladded HAP40...
( I know, before THAT happens **** will freeze over and Spyderco will switch from opening hole to thumb studs... ;) )