Endela-thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Endela-thread

Post by Woodpuppy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:08 pm
I would have liked to see Spyderco go with a deep carry wire clip on the Endela.
I’m glad they didn’t. I’m not a big fan of the wire clip. Only spyder I ever lost had a (admittedly weak) wire clip. Besides, the only clips I replace are para3s, and not because I want deep pocket persay, but because I think they sit in the pocket a little better. Other knives, even the delica, do fine for my with the oem clip. In fact I quite like the oem clip.

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:50 am
spyderHS08 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:32 am
Can’t wait for a g10 variant of this!!!
My dream version: Rough Micarta and cladded HAP40...
( I know, before THAT happens **** will freeze over and Spyderco will switch from opening hole to thumb studs... ;) )
Easy peasy! You just need to wait for Knife Center’s dealer exclusive in pakkawood & hap40, then buy some aftermarket micarta scales.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Like the Chief, Endela in stock at lamnia (European dealer)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is a good picture of the comparison between the Endela and PM2.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/end ... y.1664904/
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:12 am

This is a good picture of the comparison between the Endela and PM2.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/end ... y.1664904/

Thanks a lot, Doc! Would have missed that, since I am not never look on bladeforums (I already almost don´t find the time for the Spyderco forum, which btw is the one and only forum I am active on the internet.. ;) )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:06 am
Not too relevant, but still somewhat interesting:

Sal once mentioned something like that the Endela is designed to fill the gap between Endura and Delica, a role originally the Stretch should have taken, but did sell less than expected.

Now it´s interesting how close the measurements of Stretch 2 FRN and Endela really are:

Overall length: 8.14" (207mm) / 8.10" (206mm)
Closed length: 4.71" (120mm) / 4.69" (119mm)
Blade length: 3.43" (87mm) / 3.41" (87mm)
Edge length: 2.97" (75mm) / 2.99" (76mm)
Same blade thickness of 3mm of course

So virtually the same in most aspects.

The good thing: Now in that price and size category one can truly decide, wether he or she wants a choil or not; appreciates the (imho) great but a bit "funky looking" Stretch blade shape or the more "classic" of the Endela; and prefers the Stretch ergos (probably even more comfortable for many, but placing the hand further from the edge in a regular grip) or the one of the Endela.
Most other aspects will be quite the same

One last link to a vid: https://youtu.be/wZAUpJCcRdQ

It features another, but very good size comparison from Endela to Endura and Delica (starting at about 0:50)
But for me even more interesting to the Stretch 2 FRN (starting at about 2:00). (On that, see my own previous post I quoted above): Really almost the same size in every aspect (blade, edge, overall, closed), but many other features differ a lot. Great, cause if one wants a Seki FRN VG10 backlock - knife in exact that size, now there´s the choice between choil / no choil, different blade- and handle shape and so on
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

So now I pulled the trigger and ordered a serrated Endela... :)

I realized, that my experience with Spydercos serrations is really limited to the short section on my Delica combo edge, which is also sg and not ffg.
I thought the Endela would be a good opportunity to really try out Spydercos serrations on a longer edge so I could form a more valid oppinion.
And looking at the depictions, the Endela still has a good amount of PE towards the tip (which I like by concept!).

The bad thing is: Though the dealer stated on his page he´d have the Endela in stock, after ordering I received a mail, that the delivery is to be expected only in like two weeks. That´s ridiculoulsy long for shipping inside Europe!

Does any of you Euro-forum-members happen to know a better/faster source for ordering the Endela (serrated!) ?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:01 am

I realized, that my experience with Spydercos serrations is really limited to the short section on my Delica combo edge, which is also sg and not ffg.
I thought the Endela would be a good opportunity to really try out Spydercos serrations on a longer edge so I could form a more valid oppinion.
And looking at the depictions, the Endela still has a good amount of PE towards the tip (which I like by concept!).

The bad thing is: Though the dealer stated on his page he´d have the Endela in stock, after ordering I received a mail, that the delivery is to be expected only in like two weeks. That´s ridiculoulsy long for shipping inside Europe!

Does any of you Euro-forum-members happen to know a better/faster source for ordering the Endela (serrated!) ?
You could order from the US and get it in a couple of days, not two weeks.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:15 am
Wartstein wrote:

Thanks, Doc, I´ll look into that!!

The few times I did order from US so far (cause the particular knife generally was not available in Europe anymore at all), shipping costs to EUROPE were very high, so I ordered to a kind of a US post box which you can get for free and had the knife forwarded from there for a reasonable price. But that usually takes a vey long time too, and plus tariffs / taxes can get quite high priced still.

But, to be honest, I never ordered from one of the really big US dealers like blade hq, kc and so on, they may have lower shipping costs.

/ Since I know you´re interested in the Endela too, what do you think about the serrated version?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:32 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:15 am
Wartstein wrote:

Thanks, Doc, I´ll look into that!!

The few times I did order from US so far (cause the particular knife generally was not available in Europe anymore at all), shipping costs to EUROPE were very high, so I ordered to a kind of a US post box which you can get for free and had the knife forwarded from there for a reasonable price. But that usually takes a vey long time too, and plus tariffs / taxes can get quite high priced still.

But, to be honest, I never ordered from one of the really big US dealers like blade hq, kc and so on, they may have lower shipping costs.

/ Since I know you´re interested in the Endela too, what do you think about the serrated version?
I like the idea. That is the one I have saved in my cart, in fact. I will not get it right away as I just ordered 3 Spydercos from CutleryShoppe.com, including the Urban Coyote.

I am not familiar with European or EU customs. I live on the other side of the planet and shipping costs around $21 and up. Knifeworks ships for $21 and has tracking at that price. CS is further inland and it is just a little more. But, you have shipping options where you can get the knife very fast, if you wish, but of course it costs more. Either of these two companies are great to buy from and very helpful. I cannot say enough about how much help Amber has been to me at KW international shipping department and Jeff at CS. They are the best.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I wonder if we will be seeing these in colored scales(?)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Axlis wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:30 am
I wonder if we will be seeing these in colored scales(?)
I'm sure we will! I want a blue PE...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wartstein my friend and Doc and others: I have some important questions about the new Spyderco Endela folder. Basically the summary of my questions is: Please sell me on this exquisite knife.

Here they are:

1Serrated or Plain-Edged Endela: Which is most likely to be most useful, as far as you know, and the most "general purpose" out of both PE and SE?

2 Is this a folding knife that many military officers, cadets, and privates in all branches of service would likely choose to carry as an everyday and emergency cutting tool?

3 If someone were to ask you "Should I pick the Endela, or, should I go for a Pacific Salt, or, a Salt 1?" what would your answer be?

4 Primary uses: Everyday carry, cutting cardboard, opening mail, food preparation such as picnic lunches, fishing chores, and other EDC uses.

5 Would you say the Endela is a "timeless design" that is not so much a specialized niche-design but a very "across the board" pocket knife?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:07 pm
I have some important questions about the new Spyderco Endela folder. ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
carrot

Post by carrot »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:07 pm
1Serrated or Plain-Edged Endela: Which is most likely to be most useful, as far as you know, and the most "general purpose" out of both PE and SE?

2 Is this a folding knife that many military officers, cadets, and privates in all branches of service would likely choose to carry as an everyday and emergency cutting tool?

3 If someone were to ask you "Should I pick the Endela, or, should I go for a Pacific Salt, or, a Salt 1?" what would your answer be?

4 Primary uses: Everyday carry, cutting cardboard, opening mail, food preparation such as picnic lunches, fishing chores, and other EDC uses.

5 Would you say the Endela is a "timeless design" that is not so much a specialized niche-design but a very "across the board" pocket knife?
1. I have now come to the conclusion that SE is preferable for EDC, at least in fulfilling my needs. I rarely need to make a clean cut with a pocket knife, so an efficient "matter separator" is all I need and SE is very easy to touch up on the Sharpmaker. SE is more forgiving at still separating matter if you have a flat spot or a nick in the edge.

I have four SE knives in regular rotation (Para 3, Jazz Delica, Jazz Endura, and Manbug Salt).

2. Maybe, but I would expect the CE Endura to be more popular as a hard use knife at a fair price.

3. If you live near the beach, go fishing frequently, or wish to IWB carry during hot and humid summers, I would recommend a Salt knife. Otherwise the Endela will likely be more satisfying to use and own.

4. All are easy tasks for any FFG model from Spyderco, not just the Endela.

5. Yes. I expect that the Endela will hit the sweet spot for me, as I often wish the Delica was just a hair longer and sometimes find the Endura a little cumbersome.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Got my SE Endela today. Initial impressions: blade is centered, grind is dead center and without any visible flaws, and it's as sharp as any Spydie I've ever received (and I have a bunch). No gaps, no grit. Seki City nailed this one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dsvirsky wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:13 pm
Got my SE Endela today. Initial impressions: blade is centered, grind is dead center and without any visible flaws, and it's as sharp as any Spydie I've ever received (and I have a bunch). No gaps, no grit. Seki City nailed this one.
Great! Mine (also SE) should arrive next week, hopefully on monday already. Can´t wait! :)

/ How do you like the quite long PE portion towards the tip? For me that´s a plus, but people who want to cut rope and the like on a surface / cutting board with an SE edge, probably would like to to see the SE portion going closer towards the tip..
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

The PE portion feels just about right for me on the Endela. Long enough to be useful for precise cuts but not so long that it "comprises" the belly of the blade, which is what turns me off to most combo edges.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 am
The PE portion feels just about right for me on the Endela. Long enough to be useful for precise cuts but not so long that it "comprises" the belly of the blade, which is what turns me off to most combo edges.
Yes, maybe the way it's done on the Endela is even the "better combo-edge"? (Sure with a slight SE bias.. ;) )
Reject

Post by Reject »

A size comparison with the Endura, Delica, Dragonfly and seeing that there will be a FRN Police coming out soon; the Police.

How much can a Koala bear?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Reject wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:08 pm
A size comparison with the Endura, Delica, Dragonfly.....
Thanks, very informative!! I like the amount of belly on the Endela, and can see: The Police would just be TOO long for me..