Endela-thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Genotoxic

Re: Endela-thread

Post by Genotoxic »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:01 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:53 pm

But then for me there is something not really rationally explainable about the Endela. It just "connects" with me, looks perfectly balanced and proportioned(though strictly functionally speaking the blade could be a bit longer) , a bit sturdier than Endura and Delica. It´s a knife I look at and instantly want to use it. Great design!
I have an Endela on the way to me in the mail currently so really excited! When you say sturdier than the Endura or Delica is it because the Endela is more robust in build over the other two or is it just the feeling the knife gives you in hand?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Genotoxic wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

But then for me there is something not really rationally explainable about the Endela. It just "connects" with me, looks perfectly balanced and proportioned(though strictly functionally speaking the blade could be a bit longer) , a bit sturdier than Endura and Delica. It´s a knife I look at and instantly want to use it. Great design!
I have an Endela on the way to me in the mail currently so really excited! When you say sturdier than the Endura or Delica is it because the Endela is more robust in build over the other two or is it just the feeling the knife gives you in hand?
Practically speaking "sturdier" really is the wrong term, I have to admit... :o
The Endela has the same bladestock as the Endura (3mm, Delica 2.5mm) and is similarly built.

It's really just and solely its looks that are more "sturdy" or to put it better more compact in a positive way, but really just aestheticwise.
I like the overall Endura-style and the Endela for me is the best and most "harmonic" looking member of the family.

/ I hope you'll post your own impressions here when you have your Endela! As said, for me a total winner and keeper (it's in my pocket right now, actually... ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just wanted to share two pics I already posted elsewhere.

Reason being, that the Endela still keeps growing on me, it is just a perfectly looking masterpiece design imho.
Great work by Sal.

As said in a post above, I totally like the overall Endura-family-shape, but while both the Endura (cause it's so long) and the Delica (because it's rather slim) can look a bit skinny, the Endela looks just perfectly right. Slender, but still compact.
Maybe on the pics some can see what I mean...

Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:15 am
Genotoxic wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

The Endela has the same bladestock as the Endura (3mm, Delica 2.5mm) and is similarly built.

It's really just and solely its looks that are more "sturdy" or to put it better more compact in a positive way, but really just aestheticwise.
I like the overall Endura-style and the Endela for me is the best and most "harmonic" looking member of the family.

/ I hope you'll post your own impressions here when you have your Endela! As said, for me a total winner and keeper (it's in my pocket right now, actually... ;) )
Ah yes, I understand the feeling... hard to describe but when you get something that clicks with you, you just know haha.

I'll definitely share my thoughts when I get it in hand! The PM2 is my favorite knife and the Endela seems like a more abuse ready PM2. At about half the price of an all black S30V PM2 here in Canada theres a really good chance the Endela will be coming to work with me a lot more often than one of my PM2's.

When they release it in different steels I'll be in for one of those for sure but on the other hand you can't beat the price of a VG10 Endela. Currently they're only 3$ more than a Delica here.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Genotoxic wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:24 am
Wartstein wrote:
Genotoxic wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Ah yes, I understand the feeling... hard to describe but when you get something that clicks with you, you just know haha.

I'll definitely share my thoughts when I get it in hand! The PM2 is my favorite knife and the Endela seems like a more abuse ready PM2. At about half the price of an all black S30V PM2 here in Canada theres a really good chance the Endela will be coming to work with me a lot more often than one of my PM2's.

When they release it in different steels I'll be in for one of those for sure but on the other hand you can't beat the price of a VG10 Endela. Currently they're only 3$ more than a Delica here.
Sometimes it's hard for me to find the right terms in English, you know... ;)

But if you look at my pics posted a bit earlier: The Endelas handle and blade have the same height as the Enduras, but are both a bit shorter. That's most likely what makes the Endela look a bit more compact, "sturdier" (but just by its looks) and for me just a perfect design aesthetically speaking.

And yes, it has virtually the same bladelength as the PM2, but more (and really good) grip options while being a lot "smaller" / slimmer in the pocket. Plus a thinner (but certainly strong enough) blade stock. I like the PM2, but I'd choose the Endela over it any day of the week...

If you should never have owned an Endura-style knife before: Don't shy away choking up on the Endelas Ricasso if you like the choil on the PM2. It's no problem at all, for me it works almost as good as a dedicated choil. Plus: This design places your hand closer to the edge when NOT choking up. A winwin imho... ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Genotoxic wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Genotoxic wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Thought I´d post some comparison pics of Endela vs PM 2 for you and others (ot, I give tip down carry another try with the PM2 at the moment (but still don´t like it))
They are really very similar in their dimensions as you can see... (perspective is a funny thing: No idea why the Endela handle looks much shorter in the last pic...)

Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:33 am
Genotoxic wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Genotoxic wrote:

Thought I´d post some comparison pics of Endela vs PM 2 for you and others (ot, I give tip down carry another try with the PM2 at the moment (but still don´t like it))
They are really very similar in their dimensions as you can see... (perspective is a funny thing: No idea why the Endela handle looks much shorter in the last pic...)
Awesome thanks! Actually those pictures cleared up some thoughts about the Endela I had. I was worried since the thinner blade stock they'd narrow out the thickness at the tip too drastically therefore making the tip weaker eventhough it has the dropped down design that's supposed to strengthen it.

It seems they've left the tip as thick or slightly thicker than the PM2 and since I've never had issues with a PM2 tip I'm sure the Endela will be more than fine for proper knife use.

After seeing your pics and being able to compare look at my Delica and Endura I think this knife will hit right in the sweet spot. Always wanted a little more to a Delica or a little less to an Endura, just like a Para 3 is a compromise on size and my Military is a little much for most occasions the PM2 is perfect 90% of the time. Actually come to think of it now the Delica/Endela/Endura family is the Japan produced more value version of the Military/PM2/Para 3 line... or maybe the other way around, not sure which came first.

One question for you that I'm not sure if it's been answered already, how does the clip sit in your hand when gripping the knife? I know the Endura is perfect and I dont even know a clip is there but the Delica clip can dig into my hand if I have a firm grip on the thing.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

I think the perspective is off because in a couple pics you lined up the pivot and in another couple you lined up the 'butt' of the handle.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:59 am
I think the perspective is off because in a couple pics you lined up the pivot and in another couple you lined up the 'butt' of the handle.
Thanks, but.... no. ;)
Look at pic one and pic three: In reality the handles are virtually of the same length. One can see this, no matter how they are lined up I think.
Pic 4 is just weired... you'd think it's the DELICA, but it definitely is the Endela...

EDIT: Think I solved the mysterie of pic 4: The PM 2 is wider at the back and of the handle, so placed like in pic 4 it's closer to the camera and looks bigger/longer...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Genotoxic wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Genotoxic wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Awesome thanks! Actually those pictures cleared up some thoughts about the Endela I had. I was worried since the thinner blade stock they'd narrow out the thickness at the tip too drastically therefore making the tip weaker eventhough it has the dropped down design that's supposed to strengthen it.

It seems they've left the tip as thick or slightly thicker than the PM2 and since I've never had issues with a PM2 tip I'm sure the Endela will be more than fine for proper knife use.

One question for you that I'm not sure if it's been answered already, how does the clip sit in your hand when gripping the knife? I know the Endura is perfect and I dont even know a clip is there but the Delica clip can dig into my hand if I have a firm grip on the thing.
I'd say the Endela tip is probably a bit stronger than the PM2 tip. And keep in mind: Mine = the SE version of the Endela has a chisel grind, which makes the tip "sharper" or more acute than in the PE version! (I like that, but am glad that it has the "drop down". Would be TOO acute and fragile in chisel grind without the drop imho).

Concerning your question: I am not at home right now and I am carrying my HAP 40 Endura (and not the Endela), so I can only check later how exactly the clip lies in my hand.
But what I can say right now: For my hand the Endela is perfectly comfortable, no hotspots.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Genotoxic wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Genotoxic wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Ok, now I am at home and can compare for you Endela and Endura concerning on how the clip sits and feels in hand. But be aware (I am sure you are anyway) that this of course totally varies from hand size to hand size, from which parts of your hand maybe have some callus or not and so on...
For reference: My hands are L to XL, my fingers are probably more skinny than "fat".

To be honest:

Almost no difference in feel when choked up on the Ricasso (a grip I use a lot)

In a regular "forward" grip on the handle (index finger placed right behind the guard) I can feel the clip of the Endura a bit more, so the Endela is slightly more comfortable (though BOTH are generally speaking!).
Probably the clip contacts my hand just in a slightly different area of the palm and that happens to be a tiny bit more comfortable.

But that being said: I am convinced if you like the grip of the Endura, you will like it on the Endela either.

I´ve attached another pic (sorry for the bad lighting) by which you can estimate, how much more "forward" on your palm the Endela clip will be resting than the Endura clip...

Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Thanks for answering all my questions on the Endela beforehand Wartstein! I received mine in the mail yesterday and normally I wouldn't give my thoughts on a knife after one day of use but I had a weird day at work where I did the amount of cutting that I'd probably normally do in maybe 2 weeks almost just today alone. This gave me pretty good idea of how the knife feels in hand when cutting hard and also since its a different sized version of two knives I have plenty of experience with I don't feel the need to go over certain things.

Anyways lets being... out of the box mine came almost perfect. The quality of the injection mold on the handles for this new model is great and all the details are very crisp and defined, something that can make or break a plastic handle. The fit and finish on the knife is great for Seki. While it doesn't have the same level of detail that Golden or Taichung Spydies have, for the price and intended use of the knife I cant complain at all. Maybe I just got a really good example but it seems like they stepped up their game a notch for the Endela over the regular VG10 Delica and Endura.

The biggest surprise on this knife was the edge out of the box. Usually my only real issue with Seki knives is the secondary grind they put on them. A lot of times its uneven and not nearly as sharp as Spydercos from different plants but mine had a nice even bevel that came screaming sharp and served me well today while cutting miles of cardboard it seemed.

Now the most important part probably, the egros. This handle is super comfortable, the Delica and Endura already have great ergos but this one is a little softer on the finger groves and just the right thickness between the two to make it perfect. Also for me the clip lands perfectly in my hand. The best test is prolonged use and after probably 2 hours of straight cutting my hand was perfectly fine with no sore parts from hotspots which is about as much as one can ask. The handle is a perfect size for me in the sense that I can get a full grip and then some but also don't have all the extra meat like an Endura.

Last point will be the blade. We all know the Endura family knives can cut, and cut well. To shorten the blade they added more belly to the knife and I actually really enjoy it in use and looks! It has almost the exact belly radius of a PM2 so for me it just felt right at home and I was able to rock the knife while cutting in various ways to make it cut like a monster. The length for me is plenty to do most tasks. Once again mentioning the PM2, with basically identical edge length if you're comfortable with that much edge you'll be pleased with the Endela.

Final thoughts are that I'm super impressed by this model. Originally I thought it was just going to be kind of boring as its just the middle ground between a Delica and Endura but having a knife in your preferred size really makes a difference! I always liked its brothers but never could get them to stick in my pocket due to not being the right size. Now though I have to say, the Endela is growing on me and I see it being used extensively in the future and welcome different steel choices also. If you're on the fence about the Endela my thoughts are that you probably cant go wrong, especially for the price.

Also I was inspired to take some pictures so ill share them here, enjoy!

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Genotoxic wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:59 pm
Thanks for answering all my questions on the Endela beforehand Wartstein! ....

Final thoughts are that I'm super impressed by this model. Originally I thought it was just going to be kind of boring as its just the middle ground between a Delica and Endura but having a knife in your preferred size really makes a difference! I always liked its brothers but never could get them to stick in my pocket due to not being the right size. Now though I have to say, the Endela is growing on me and I see it being used extensively in the future and welcome different steel choices also. If you're on the fence about the Endela my thoughts are that you probably cant go wrong, especially for the price.
You are very welcome and thank YOU for your elaborated and detailled thoughts!!

Yes, the Endela is a perfect design. Despite its shorter (as you said, it has just PM2 length) than the Endura blade (which I prefer lengthwise), I like to use the Endela more, cause for me it feels so perfect in hand and also looks great aestheticwise.

The built quality of my SE model is also outstanding. I'll definitely get a PE too, but try to wait for a blue one... hopefully the Endela will come in more color options soon...

Monty

Post by Monty »

I'm really looking forward to picking one of these up to do a 2 5" regrind in the spirit of the kahr delicas but with a little more grip size and weigh in the blade. I'm hoping the result will replace my dragonflies when I can't carry a pm2 or larger blade.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:50 pm
Genotoxic wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:59 pm

The built quality of my SE model is also outstanding. I'll definitely get a PE too, but try to wait for a blue one... hopefully the Endela will come in more color options soon...
I'm almost certain we'll see the same treatment that the Endura and Delica have with all the various options coming to the Endela.

Us here on the forums might not realize but the Delica and Endura are massive sellers for Spyderco. Probably beating out the Para series knives if I had to guess just because they're amazing tools and someone who isn't into the hobby necessarily will save the money and get a plain VG10 Endura and use it like a workhorse.

Hopefully sales are great and it warrants many variations because I'll have the opportunity to get any variations that come as I missed most of the Delica and Endura editions as they came out before I was big into the hobby. This time around I can follow the model from release.

Also the full SE edge gives such an aggressive look to the knife its awesome!
cali

Post by cali »

Could anybody take a photo of Endela with Stretch 1?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cali wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:33 am

I already did on page 6 of this very thread, plus Delica and Endura... but give me a minute and I´ll take some more specific shots for you... :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83925&start=100
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cali wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:33 am
Sorr, very quick pics, bad focus and lighting, but should be good enough for size comparison. Endela has a longer handle and a tiny bit shorter blade and actual edge than the Stretch 1 (while the Endela is has almost identical handle and blade length as the Stretch TWO)

Please feel free to ask, should you need more pics or have other questions concerning this two knives.

cali

Post by cali »

Great thanks!
I am fine with Stretch and as I can see Endela will not replace it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cali wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:19 pm
Great thanks!
I am fine with Stretch and as I can see Endela will not replace it.

You´re welcome!

If you´re looking for a folder to literally replace your Stretch 1, imho NO knife can do that, for the Stretch 1 is perhaps the best folder ever designed (for me personally at least)...;)

But if you like the overall size and materials of your Stretch and additionally want something "similar but different", the Endela is probably the best choice out there. Great and perfectly designed knife.
Very comparable in dimensions, but yet a bit lighter than the Stretch and feels great in hand and to use in a different way than the Stretch does.

I can totally understand that you are completely fine with (only??) your Stretch 1, if I could have just ONE folder it could very likely be the Stretch.
But should you ever feel like getting an Endela too, I´d recommend the SE version to go with your PE Stretch (as fas as I know there has never been a SE Stretch...)