Knife rules for N. Carolina?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Knife rules for N. Carolina?

Post by Pelagic »

NC is generally pretty cool. Vibe and outlook towards knives will vary by city. Most towns and especially rural areas, you're almost expected to have a knife.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

anteck7 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:40 am
I will say that that that more educated/accepting population has higher expectations that you will use a knife/gun whatever responsibly.
As it should be! 'thank you,

lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Chumango

Post by Chumango »

TN is close by, and has no blade length limit statewide. And has more generous handgun carry laws than the Carolinas. Lots of places to do the things you want to do.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I had a nephew call me to get him out of jail late one night after he was arrested with a cheap italian style switcblade in his pocket. He was at a university with a couple friends being loud and someone called the campus police. After patdown frisk he was off to jail and had to bond out. I forget the outcome. He was the only one arrested so whatever they were doing couldn't have been all that bad.

Yes, he brought that on himself by acting stupid but it does show that not everything goes. Laws are laws even when you get away with them and all it takes is once.

Joe
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Mastiff I'm sorry to hear that but glad it was nothing more serious. I would not think of carrying an automatic knife even if it were allowed, too complicated and too likely to be assumed to be a weapon. I think they're cool and all that but would not carry one. (altho I also see them as useful especially if you have an injured hand or arthritis or something, too bad the cultural stigma against switchblades won't go away). And as I read in NC they aren't allowed to be carried or considered the same as regular pocket knives so you won't see me doing that!
blues

Post by blues »

Totin' my Police 4 and J-frame in hot, sunny western NC today. It's good to be free. Just wish it was a little less hot. Even the dogs got tired of playing today.

Good day for a hike to the local waterfalls. Or staying home and catching a ball game and a cold one.

- Retired from the chase -
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Would the standard Spyderco Endura folders be okay to carry in N Carolina, as far as you know, if someone wanted to use it for EDC, and also for fishing in some of those beautiful Blue Ridge Mountain streams?
blues

Post by blues »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:53 pm
Would the standard Spyderco Endura folders be okay to carry in N Carolina, as far as you know, if someone wanted to use it for EDC, and also for fishing in some of those beautiful Blue Ridge Mountain streams?
Unless you were doing something that was perceived as threatening or otherwise illegal, I've never heard of any of our deputies or locals making an issue of an honest citizen carrying a Spyderco for routine purposes. The length of the blade would not be an issue in my neck of the woods.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/north-carolina/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nor ... s.1251779/
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

blues wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:39 am
Totin' my Police 4 and J-frame in hot, sunny western NC today. It's good to be free. Just wish it was a little less hot. Even the dogs got tired of playing today.

Good day for a hike to the local waterfalls. Or staying home and catching a ball game and a cold one.

holy cow that is beautiful!

I wish i had that view.
blues

Post by blues »

Well it's close by, but not close enough, unfortunately, to look out my window at. As the crow flies it's only four or five miles, though.

It's a special area around here, nestled between several national and state forests.

vivi

Post by vivi »

Western NC / Eastern TN is one of the most beautiful parts of the country, no doubt.
:unicorn
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have carried an Endura since 1992. In that time I went through DUI roadblocks and other situations where I was asked "are you carrying any weapons?". I respond that I have a pocket knife in my RFP but don't consider it a weapon. I also note that I'm pretty polite and coperative and actually ask them if they have any instructions about what do do with the knife while I'm there. Sometimes they want to hold my knife ( or firearm if applicable) until they are done and send me on my way. Some take custody of the knife until done and some just tell me to leave it in my pocket. In no case did it come up that I was Law Enforcement and I flipped no ID cards or even said anything. In one case two officers argued whether they should arrest me or not while a 3rd officer argued they couldn't because I wasn't doing anything illegal. At times some police are pretty aggressive other times not. In either case if you are not doing anything wrong and remain calm and cooperate they will eventually figure out it's time to let you go. None obviously tried to confiscate my stuff like they did to us as teenagers back in the 70's ( cops used to stop us and take everything they could find when I was a kid growing up around Cleveland. It was like getting robbed)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:00 pm

None obviously tried to confiscate my stuff like they did to us as teenagers back in the 70's ( cops used to stop us and take everything they could find when I was a kid growing up around Cleveland. It was like getting robbed)
It was exactly getting robbed, with the threat of violence from armed highwaymen. That kind of “peace officer” is still out there. When you’re pulled you don’t know who you’re going to get. The professional or the [unprintable].