DLC 20CV PM2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: DLC 20CV PM2?

Post by Sharp Guy »

I had a feeling there'd be some cancellations and more would come up for sale. I had the site open for a while. I kept going back and hitting refresh to see if the buy button would activate. I'm not interested in this one but I was hoping I might be able to help out one of our members. I ended up getting busy with work and finally closed the site sometime around 1:00 pm CT.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Pointy britches

Post by Pointy britches »

After they went out of stock I clicked the email me when in stock button and low and behold I got the email at 2:05 CT.... and an order confirmation at 2:07.... got lucky. :cool:
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:26 am
I got caught up with some stuff and was checking in 20 minutes after the release start time. Figured it was likely sold out ... it was!!

Had to come here to the forum to see what went down ... 4 minute sell out ... WOW!!!

For those that got one, Enjoy!

CG

Having missed out, I went ahead and ordered a BRKT Bravo 1 LT in CruWear ... good medicine for the pain and suffering!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:31 pm
THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!! Got it for $139 with my $10 discount!!!!!!
I did not mess around with the DLT Rewards when a few came available this afternoon, (I have DLT Rewards $$ and appreciate the DLT Rewards program) I checked out as fast as I could! Got the Confirmation email!
5pins

Post by 5pins »

Why would someone go through all the trouble of getting one of these and then cancel? I don't get it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

5pins wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 pm
Why would someone go through all the trouble of getting one of these and then cancel? I don't get it.
Someone mentioned the possibility of spam bots placing orders? I don't understand how those things work, but how the heck would they be able to place credit card info!?! Regardless, if it's true...that's a real shame that some actual people missed out and never thought, or had the opportunity to check back once more became available.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

5pins wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 pm
They may not have actually cancelled. Could be their credit cards were declined.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:17 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:26 am
I got caught up with some stuff and was checking in 20 minutes after the release start time. Figured it was likely sold out ... it was!!

Had to come here to the forum to see what went down ... 4 minute sell out ... WOW!!!

For those that got one, Enjoy!

CG

Having missed out, I went ahead and ordered a BRKT Bravo 1 LT in CruWear ... good medicine for the pain and suffering!

CG

That oughter do it!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

How a fixed blade in a completely different Steel profile satisfies this is a mystery but I get it.

Did the same thing with a Benchmade Nestucca recently and it is freaking awesome. Only thing that could make it better would be if Spyderco made it because they could make it better in ways I cannot imagine.

Hey Sal what do you say how about a Spyderco version of the Alaskan ulu Benchmade did theres how about you kick their tushies?

Hint make it much larger they made this too small yet it works incredibly in the Kitchen. https://www.benchmade.com/nestucca-cleaver.html

Do this in LC200N and you have a winner and then some!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:52 pm
How a fixed blade in a completely different Steel profile satisfies this is a mystery but I get it.

Did the same thing with a Benchmade Nestucca recently and it is freaking awesome. Only thing that could make it better would be if Spyderco made it because they could make it better in ways I cannot imagine.

It's a trade-off for me; one exciting package for another exciting package (unfortunately the substitute comes at a higher price). Guess this is possible because the exclusive is/was not one of those that I perceive as "the greatest knife ever, have to have, there is no equal".

Obviously I'm a fan of FB's. Admire the Benchmade you reference and here is another I admire although I don't have any hands-on experience with either. www.dlttrading.com/searchresults.html?s ... ry=bushbat

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Got M390 and 204P Para2's and a bunch of ZeroTolerance 20CV 0562's.
This Para2's pretty cool looking, but I passed.
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

DLT commented on Instagram that they'll be doing another run.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's good to hear! Sounds like A LOT of people missed out on it. Mine is set to arrive at work today around noon :cool:

-Rick
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

Mine is waiting in the PO Box as of 7:41 a.m. (talk about fast). I'll post some pics once it's picked up later this morning.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ihped1 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:01 am

Good for the PM2 hoarders, bad for everyone else. That could have been something interesting like a G10 Native, which has NEVER seen 20CV/CTS-204P/M390. Now it is like the 10th PM2 run in one of these steels. Yawn...
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:18 am
ihped1 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:01 am

Good for the PM2 hoarders, bad for everyone else. That could have been something interesting like a G10 Native, which has NEVER seen 20CV/CTS-204P/M390. Now it is like the 10th PM2 run in one of these steels. Yawn...
Agreed, I like seeing cool variants but at this point I have so many Para2s that it will take a special version to get my wallet open. Plus, I have had the 204P version for years now and have no need/desire to get one in M390 or 20CV.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pointy Britches, Rbb,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I got mine, and WOW...it sure is a "looker" Can't take that away from it. But I can tell, for me...who primarily uses knives outdoors and in a warehouse setting, I'm not sure if these scales will work for me :confused: They look fantastic, I really do like them with the black blade. The hassle of keeping them clean could very well drive me nuts though. I'll give it some time and see how it goes.

Also debating if I want to switch the blades with my OD Green S30V model...which is already my favorite knife, then bump it up to a super premium steel would just be the cats pajamas on that knife. Then if I decided to sell this knife, with S30V...who knows if it would even sell?? As I said, I'll give it some time and see how I manage with these scales. As previously stated, the scales are definitely a bit darker than the stock photos show, so that's a plus. I took a few pics outside so you can see them in natural light. On to the pics!

Resized_20190531_114244.jpeg
Resized_20190531_113844.jpeg
Resized_20190531_114133.jpeg
Resized_20190531_113705.jpeg

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:21 am
Agreed, I like seeing cool variants but at this point I have so many Para2s that it will take a special version to get my wallet open. Plus, I have had the 204P version for years now and have no need/desire to get one in M390 or 20CV.
I'd love to see the Manix, Native and Military get the same general treatment as the PM2 and PM3 for exclusives, with lots of them coming down the pike all the time. But the reality is that most of the dealers ordering exclusives want to generate a fast return, to make their capital investment pay off as quickly as they can.

The only dealer regularly doing exclusives with a different strategy (higher prices so they hold them longer, which gives them a lower velocity on their capital) regularly gets slammed on these forums for using that strategy.

Honestly, the best strategy from a business investment standpoint is to put in the capital for something you _know_ will sell out instantly and get you immediate, virtually guaranteed return on the capital invested (and free the capital up so you can immediately put it back into another exclusive, to get the pay off from it again). That means repeatedly sprinting the most popular models (currently PM2 and PM3) in the most popular steels. Score an instant sell out, rinse and repeat.

You could run the numbers on the two different strategies (long term hold v. high velocity of capital) but I'm almost certain that the high velocity strategy is scoring a bigger overall return on investment (on an annualized basis). That means that until the market response changes, this is likely the strategy we'll see from the people ordering exclusives. Remember that they have to manage their capital as wisely as they can, for the maximum return, because that's how they are putting food on the table and shoes on their kids' feet.
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

Thanks, Sal!

As promised, here are photos of the knife I just picked up.

As always, great fit and finish!