Has to be discussed: Military or Chief?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Has to be discussed: Military or Chief?

Post by MichaelScott »

I know the Chief isn’t available yet, but I watched Eric’s video on the design of the Chief, history of the Native series and Chief breakdown. Awesome knife. Made me wonder what you all think about it and if it came down to a choice between the two, Military or Chief, which would you prefer and why? Me, right now I am definitely on the fence.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Re: Has to be discussed: Military or Chief?

Post by vivi »

No question at all for me, and I'm someone that used to own 6 Millies and carry them every day for five+ years.

Chief.

Why?

Three reasons.

1. No thumb ramp. Thumb ramps ruin ergonomics for me when using the choil on most knives, including the Millie.
2. Tip up carry.
3. Lockback. The Millie is one of the Spydercos that came open in my pocket, and made me exclusively buy lockbacks and cbbl going forward.

EDIT: I felt like adding that I would still recommend the Military to anyone who likes the design. I think it is one of the best Spyderco folders on the market, but my preferences have developed in a particular way that led me away from it. Most folks probably have no issues with the things I listed.
Last edited by vivi on Wed May 22, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm

1. No thumb ramp. Thumb ramps ruin ergonomics for me when using the choil on most knives, including the Millie.
2. Tip up carry.
3. Lockback.
Chief!!
Reasoning:

- What Vivi said already (except I don't mind or even like thumb ramps
- Plus: Better carryability: Much shorter when closed (while offering almost the same edge length as the Milli), slimmer, lighter.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:55 am
I know the Chief isn’t available yet, but I watched Eric’s video on the design of the Chief, history of the Native series and Chief breakdown. Awesome knife. Made me wonder what you all think about it and if it came down to a choice between the two, Military or Chief, which would you prefer and why? Me, right now I am definitely on the fence.
I love the handful of Millies I've aquired. ..especially the framelock versions. As much as I enjoy the design /function of the knife, The Native Chief will be more to my preferred taste. I love the natural "choil" grip of the Native 5 ...coupled with a larger blade and more hand placement options...the Chief will be a winner for sure.

Really looking forward to this new Golden offering!

James
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I expect to like the Chief’s backlock better than the Military’s liner lock. It should be as tight as the Native’s lock. :)

I expect the Chief to ride slimmer in the pocket.

The Chief will have thinner blade stock.

I expect that I will like the ergos on the Military better.

I like both blade shapes.

Military or Chief? Definitely both!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Definitely Police 4. :)

I haven't used a Chief, so I'm not sure I could comment intelligently on the Military v. Chief question.
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

Personally, I wish I could carry something larger than 3.5" legally. I've got a couple of Endura's and Military's that I'd like to carry more often, but I usually don't due to the law. I'll take them camping/backpacking and use them around the house, but that's about it.
JS_KnifeNerd

Post by JS_KnifeNerd »

JS_KnifeNerd here :spyder:
Just wondering, how does the Chief stack up to other big knives?
I totally feel you Shane I live in Denver to :o
Thank You :)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'll need to get both in-hand to know. It is nice having a SFO in your backyard!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'll have to have the Chief in hand to compare. Hard to say right now. Probably going to be Military for me. I like the liner lock. A G10 Military Salt In H1 SE is my dream yard knife.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I quite like the looks of the Chief but, it's a backlock, has less cutting edge than a Military, redundant clip holes all over black scales ... not for me. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I'd go with Military as I'm not a huge fan of the leaf shaped blade. The Chief's shape is more subtle than the original Native, but I'm still more positively disposed toward the clip point and thumb ramp of the Millie. The difference in the locking mechanisms is not too big a deal for me; I have no problem with backlocks or liner locks. The Military's handle is doubleplusgood comfortable in my hand, and I really can't imagine the Chief improving on that. All that said, the Chief looks like a fine instrument and I doubt there's much of anything wrong with it, only between the two I'd choose a Millie ;) And make it 52100 lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm
No question at all for me, and I'm someone that used to own 6 Millies and carry them every day for five+ years.

Chief.

Why?

Three reasons.

2. Tip up carry.
3. Lockback. The Millie is one of the Spydercos that came open in my pocket, and made me exclusively buy lockbacks and cbbl going forward.

EDIT: I felt like adding that I would still recommend the Military to anyone who likes the design. I think it is one of the best Spyderco folders on the market, but my preferences have developed in a particular way that led me away from it. Most folks probably have no issues with the things I listed.
I can't think of a thing to add to this.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Millie
All day and every day.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Chief 100%

I do like the Military with the frame lock, but it still can't match the Chief's ergonomics and superior lock.

Compression>Backlock>Framelock>Linerlock>Feces>CBBL
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ll wait until the Chief is in my hands.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have a few formidable Military sprints. Good luck to the challenger to the throne... No contest. :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ferider

Post by ferider »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:14 am
I have a few formidable Military sprints. Good luck to the challenger to the throne... No contest. :)
+1. And for me, "a few" is an understatement :)
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:13 pm
Chief 100%
: : :
Compression>Backlock>Framelock>Linerlock>Feces>CBBL
Hey, why don't you tell us what you really think ? :D
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I must add to my earlier comment.

Who is the best climber to have summited Everest? Each and every one of them!

I foresee the Chief being every bit as good as my 204P and REX45 Millies, just not the same.

Thus, I’m disinclined to see the Millie and Chief opposed, unless funds make a choice necessary, then the reckoning is less about the inherent goodness of the knife and more about personal preferences.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I am looking for a discussion of their respective attributes and differences rather than which is better. Better is such an individual and vague notion that I don’t care about that. I am interested in which you may prefer and why. A contrasting conversation not a contest.

I’ve had neither but have been interested in a Military for some time. Now, I will want to compare the two.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation