What types of colors of FRN do you prefer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What FRN color types do you prefer?

Earth tones
63%
Bright colors
28%
Basic black
9%

Total votes: 57

ATC729

Re: What types of colors of FRN do you prefer?

Post by ATC729 »

I'm a big fan of brighter than the sun orange! Not only is it something a little more unique, but it makes it hard to lose!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:34 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am
I do like translucent and the brighter colors would look best. However, I was only thinking of the solid colors and FRN is not clear. That would be FRCP and for another poll.
FRN can be translucent.
Really? I thought it was kind of milky in its normal state. That is interesting, to be sure. I knew FRCP was clear, or close to it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I like black but I would also like to see more dark blue tones. I also like gray FRN.
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

I like colors that are not dull...not sure that actually means "bright"

So I like orange, yellow, red, blue and green. I do think orange is my favorite
Big50

Post by Big50 »

I’m on both sides of this one.

As far as bright goes, I really like the orange FRN as seen in the Delica, DF, etc.
I’m not a fan of the Salt yellow FRN aesthetically, but it serves it’s purpose.

With earth tones, I really like the blue-gray of the V-Toku run. It’s very much grown on me.
The brown FRCP used on the old XHP Manix 2 LW is awesome. I’d like to see that color in FRN.

Certain shades of red would be cool
Basic black is boring.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:15 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:34 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am
I do like translucent and the brighter colors would look best. However, I was only thinking of the solid colors and FRN is not clear. That would be FRCP and for another poll.
FRN can be translucent.
Really? I thought it was kind of milky in its normal state. That is interesting, to be sure. I knew FRCP was clear, or close to it.
Plastic engineer in the family :cool:
:unicorn
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder why Spyderco does not give us more translucent scales? I did a poll last year or so and people love the idea and had a lot of suggestions regarding color choices. I wonder if their marketing research says that the average knife buyer would not like it and so would not be profitable?

For translucent scales, I would definitely prefer brighter colors.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:35 am
I wonder why Spyderco does not give us more translucent scales? I did a poll last year or so and people love the idea and had a lot of suggestions regarding color choices. I wonder if their marketing research says that the average knife buyer would not like it and so would not be profitable?

For translucent scales, I would definitely prefer brighter colors.

Hopefully the Manix LW Salt will have a new translucent color scale. If Spyderco ever decides to bring us some production Cruwear knives, a translucent smoke grey would be a cool color. And it would be awesome to see some dealers do some Manix LW exclusives in translucent colors. Cutlery Shoppe could do a DLC CTS-XHP blade with translucent orange. St Nicks could do a DLC 4V blade with translucent red.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

How about some tan, and perhaps goldenrod?

I do like black, yellow, and my orange Delica wharnie though. Would really like a tan Native and Dragonfly.
- best wishes, Jazz.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Jazz wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:42 pm
How about some tan, and perhaps goldenrod?

I do like black, yellow, and my orange Delica wharnie though. Would really like a tan Native and Dragonfly.

Tan is great, especially with DLC. Going to be grabbing the Tan/DLC PM2 next week. Tan FRN would be VERY welcome, again, with DLC for me at least. I love all of the earth tones with DLC.

I would like to see what goldenrod FRN would look like. Not sure on that one.

Glow in the dark neon FRN/FRCP is one I would really like to see on some future Salt models.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Don’t know how I forgot, but we need some OD green, and plain edge, not combo.
- best wishes, Jazz.
archangel

Post by archangel »

What do you consider Orange to be, Earth or bright? :confused: I like Orange best, if it's got to be FRN...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

archangel wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:38 am
What do you consider Orange to be, Earth or bright? :confused: I like Orange best, if it's got to be FRN...
I prefer more earth toned orange like is found in nature. Bright orange does have its place, however. In an outdoor situation where I might loose my knife, even briefly, bright orange (or safety yellow-green) is the way to go. The HAP 40 series had a nice color of orange, but there are other earthy shades.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:35 am
Don’t know how I forgot, but we need some OD green, and plain edge, not combo.
Yes, OD green as a top choice. I also like dark OD flat earth.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted for the "bright colors". Oh yes I do indeed like all the "Nuclear Colors" that they use on Spyderco's FRN handled knives. There is a variety of reasons I love the "Nuclear Colors" so much but it just makes perfect sense when you really think about it.

First off all of Spyderco's FRN handled folders and fixed blades too are basically for hard uses. So wouldn't it make perfect sense to have the knife in a color that could be easily found in case you misplace it or GOD Forbid drop it in relatively deep water :eek: ?? I can't tell you how many times I would be working with one of my Salt Series blades and I would lay it down somewhere and because of it being a color that almost glows in the dark it sure made it much easier to find.

I like the novelty aspects of these hard use Spyders being made with radical colors.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:59 am
archangel wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:38 am
I prefer more earth toned orange like is found in nature. Bright orange does have its place, however. In an outdoor situation where I might loose my knife, even briefly, bright orange (or safety yellow-green) is the way to go. The HAP 40 series had a nice color of orange, but there are other earthy shades.

Do you like the Rex45 G10 tone? I find that one really good looking.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I like black, although most any earthy color is good too. I also like the bright colors, especially orange.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I like the Racing Green, Coyote Brown, & Khaki Tan. I'm ok with Black, but for so many years that's all there was so it's nice to see something different. I prefer muted colors that blend in & are less noticeable while carrying. I'd love to see the Khaki Tan & Denin Blue offered on the Kahr Delicas show up on standard offerings.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm surprised Khaki isn't more widespread. I see so much of it. I like the color myself!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I don't much like FRN period -- but if we are going to go that route, it will be for a lightweight (and cheap) knife, so I voted for bright colors.

If it has to be FRN, it should be an obnoxious color, sort of like warning colors on toxic insects.

A plus on all this is that I am most likely to buy an FRN knife for a lightweight knife to save a few grams on a backpacking knife, and I prefer that to be as bright as possible so if/when I set it down, it shouts to me about where it is.

So I vote for "radioactive green" and hot pink. Bright orange would be an acceptable compromise.