Is the Delica being discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Crux

Is the Delica being discontinued?

Post by Crux »

Delica is Cancelled: Para 3 LW destroys in a Science Based Comparison

https://youtu.be/GIhOvFnTV-Q

Warning, video may be offensive.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
sal

Re: Is the Delica being discontinued?

Post by sal »

He should run for office. Typical political jargon. ;)

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Science says that 2.5mm blades cut better than 3.7mm blades.

Science also says that a lock with a bias towards closing is less likely to open on its own and thus is inherently safer.

Then there is the 1 in 10 people who probably appreciate an ambidextrous lock.

Then there is the tip up only. I cannot scientifically prove it but only heathens carry tip up. ;)

I like his videos and enjoy his sense of humor. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

solution: BD1N delica? hmmm
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

He forgot to mention to please forward your Delicas to me for proper disposal!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'll act as an alternate disposal sponsor! The title had me scared for a second!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

All joking aside, I think the Delica is facing some serious internal and external competition. The Chaparral LW with wire clip and even thinner CTS-XHP blade is only $11 more. The USA made Para 3 LW, with the currently very popular Comp lock and wire clip, is only $13 more. Buck's 112 Slim Ranger Pro has the disadvantage of pinned construction, but it's a USA made knife with S30V blade and choice of G10 or Micarta scales, for the same price as the FRN Delica. Then Spyderco's own Native 5 LW for $20 more is a slightly thicker but similar length knife that's made in USA with an S30V blade.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the delica grew in popularity at least partially because it was a good value folder that was somewhat higher quality than those typically classified as budget knives. with the continuous price increases, the delica (along with at least a few other models) is losing that value distinction. some people may love it and stick with it, but there are better options, both in spyderco's line-up and from other manufacturers. personally, i've never understood the draw of the delica, even when it was "only" in the $60 range.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

The chap lw, para3 lw, and native lw all lack the blade shapes, grinds, and color options that the Delica has to offer. And none of those offer any Japanese steels.
You can't get a chap with blue scales, a para 3 with a wharncliffe, or a native in HAP40. Also all but the delica lack a wave opener
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The video was hilarious.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

ugaarguy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:28 pm
The Chaparral LW with wire clip and even thinner CTS-XHP blade is only $11 more.
That is the real threat to the Delica. It also has an inherently better backlock due to the internal stop pin.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I saw the clickbait title...and clicked, thinking, “That makes no sense, why would they ever do that?”

Glad it was just humor.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

They'll replace my Delica's when they pry them from my cold, dead, fingers.

:D :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Marulaghost wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:12 pm
The chap lw, para3 lw, and native lw all lack the blade shapes, grinds, and color options that the Delica has to offer. And none of those offer any Japanese steels.
You can't get a chap with blue scales, a para 3 with a wharncliffe, or a native in HAP40. Also all but the delica lack a wave opener
Other than steels that the Japanese won't export, all of those are just variants that can be made.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:11 am
Marulaghost wrote:
Other than steels that the Japanese won't export, all of those are just variants that can be made.
This is true, but in my opinion, the Delica has the best blade shape of all the models listed in this thread. It's not the thinnest, but it's a really nice shape for most cutting tasks. The Delica has the perfect amount of belly(almost none). The blade is not tall either, which makes it more versatile. If the handle was a little bit longer, or maybe a 50/50 choil was added, the Delica would be (my) perfect sub 3" knife.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:56 am
He forgot to mention to please forward your Delicas to me for proper disposal!!!

CG
LOL'd
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:54 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:28 pm
The Chaparral LW with wire clip and even thinner CTS-XHP blade is only $11 more.
That is the real threat to the Delica. It also has an inherently better backlock due to the internal stop pin.
True and true.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albatross wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:31 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:11 am
Marulaghost wrote:
This is true, but in my opinion, the Delica has the best blade shape of all the models listed in this thread. It's not the thinnest, but it's a really nice shape for most cutting tasks. The Delica has the perfect amount of belly(almost none). The blade is not tall either, which makes it more versatile. If the handle was a little bit longer, or maybe a 50/50 choil was added, the Delica would be (my) perfect sub 3" knife.
I really like the Delica (after the Chap LW my second favorite small folder), but one of the main reasons for that is that is does NOT feature a choil, but instead a full four finger grip handle, which places your hand quite close to the edge anyway. And, as I stated many times: Choking up on the Ricasso (instead of on a designated choil) is no problem at all and not even uncomfortable...

Para 3 is not for me. NO four finger grip on the actual handle and small blade, but thick stock. Not necessary imho.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Crux

Post by Crux »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:40 am
Para 3 is not for me. NO four finger grip on the actual handle and small blade, but thick stock. Not necessary imho.
OUCH!
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Crux wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:56 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:40 am
OUCH!
... in the sense of it hurts you if someone does not really like the Para 3? ;)

No worries, it´s a cool little piece, but I am generally not really into smaller folders, and the ones I like have to have a thin, slicey blade.
I also really don´t like if the overall length of a handle WOULD offer enough space for a full four finger grip, but due to a choil actually does NOT (so I HAVE to choke up to get that four finger grip).

That´s one point for the Chap: The handle would be a bit short for a four finger grip anyway, so for my handsize the choil makes sense (a bit like on a DFly)