Is the Delica being discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Re: Is the Delica being discontinued?

Post by ugaarguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:40 am
Albatross wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:31 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:11 am
Marulaghost wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:12 pm
This is true, but in my opinion, the Delica has the best blade shape of all the models listed in this thread. It's not the thinnest, but it's a really nice shape for most cutting tasks. The Delica has the perfect amount of belly(almost none). The blade is not tall either, which makes it more versatile. If the handle was a little bit longer, or maybe a 50/50 choil was added, the Delica would be (my) perfect sub 3" knife.
I really like the Delica (after the Chap LW my second favorite small folder), but one of the main reasons for that is that is does NOT feature a choil, but instead a full four finger grip handle, which places your hand quite close to the edge anyway. And, as I stated many times: Choking up on the Ricasso (instead of on a designated choil) is no problem at all and not even uncomfortable...

Para 3 is not for me. NO four finger grip on the actual handle and small blade, but thick stock. Not necessary imho.
That may be true for YOU, but it's not for me. I have thick "sausage" fingers as Nick Shabazz calls them. The Delica's grip contours hit my fingers wrong and I feel crowded trying to get a four finger grip on the handle. Choking up on the ricasso? Only if I want to slice my pointer finger open. I'm glad the Delica works for you.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:21 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:40 am
Albatross wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:11 am
I really like the Delica (after the Chap LW my second favorite small folder), but one of the main reasons for that is that is does NOT feature a choil, but instead a full four finger grip handle, which places your hand quite close to the edge anyway. And, as I stated many times: Choking up on the Ricasso (instead of on a designated choil) is no problem at all and not even uncomfortable...

Para 3 is not for me. NO four finger grip on the actual handle and small blade, but thick stock. Not necessary imho.
That may be true for YOU, but it's not for me. I have thick "sausage" fingers as Nick Shabazz calls them. The Delica's grip contours hit my fingers wrong and I feel crowded trying to get a four finger grip on the handle. Choking up on the ricasso? Only if I want to slice my pointer finger open. I'm glad the Delica works for you.
I did not want to imply that my thoughts concerning the Delica had to be true for others also, if I sounded like that, this was not my intention!

/ Choking up on the Ricasso: I stated this several times already: I just don't get why some people feel that this could be a problem (not meant offensive, don't get me wrong).
I do this all the time, on other knives even on the actual EDGE, in most knife-tasks one could imagine and honestly never, ever did cut myself (and: My edges are, though not hair splitting, always hair-shaving-sharp).
I mean, in ancient times they grabbed swords on the edge to do certain types of attacks... swords may be not as sharp as Spyderco knives, but the tasks for swords a bit more hefty... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

sal wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:52 am
He should run for office. Typical political jargon. ;)

sal
Hyperbole and appeal to emotion, oh yeah he'd fit right in :D
Crux

Post by Crux »

Yeah, but did you notice how hot that Para 3 LW looked on the screen. I can't imagine a better looking knife.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

This jumps into my pocket a lot, around the house. Look ma no finger choil!

Spyderco isn't making any money off of me with the Para3. I'd like to see the Rookie return!
mattman

Post by mattman »

Albatross wrote:
If the handle was a little bit longer, or maybe a 50/50 choil was added, the Delica would be (my) perfect sub 3" knife.
Are you familiar with Boomer52s GrindMod Delica scales?
Crux

Post by Crux »

I have a few Delica's. I use them for teeny tiny projects like cutting thread or scraping poppy seeds off my bagel. If I have a big project like tree felling or cutting firewood, I turn to the Para 3, but not the LW. I save the LW for any stonework I might need to do.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: