Everyday Spyders You Use For Culinary/Food Uses?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Everyday Spyders You Use For Culinary/Food Uses?

Post by JD Spydo »

Now up front I'll tell you that ever since I got my very first Spyderco kitchen knife back in 1998 I believe it was they have been my favorite kitchen/culinary blade to use on food preparation. And I've owned quite a few of Spyderco's great kitchen/culinary blades over the years with nothing but good to say about them.

But on the other hand I've found a few of the Spyderco models on the main line up that are intended for everyday usage but yet I've grown to like them for kitchen/culinary uses. Three great models that immediately come to mind are my Catcherman models, Along with my TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade models, as well as my C-36 Military models. It's been said by a lot of you that use your everyday/EDC Spyders for food prep that some models have ideal food prep designs. Also do you like plain edged or Spyderedged blades for food prep? I happen to like both myself and find many uses for each edge type.

So which everyday user/EDC Spyders do you like to use in the kitchen and why? To me the TEMPERANCE 1 models are like little Chef's knives and even work better in some instances. OK tell us about your favorite EDC Spyder you like to use preparing food. Also which blade steels do you like the best for food work?
Wartstein

Re: Everyday Spyders You Use For Culinary/Food Uses?

Post by Wartstein »

To be clear: I am really no master chef in the kitchen by any means, but I use the Spyder in my pocket for minor food prep frequently.

On one hand, I often pull my Endura or Stretch out of my pocket when I am in my own kitchen to quickly slice some bread or cut some cheese or fruit, just cause I really like to use my folders and it´s fast and convinient.

Then I do a lot of food prep when not at home, since I don´t work in an office, but am on the road by car or bicycle. So I preper some lunch outdoors or in the car, even walk a short distance in the woods or meadows and start a small fire or light my stove to cook a little meal. Same when mountaineering or hiking.

Endura ffg (my sg not so much, but still I keep it for other reasons) and Stretch 1 work very good in that capacity. Endura a bit better when it comes to blade LENGTH, but Stretch 1 has the better blade SHAPE for food prep imho.
I think my Mili would be even a bit better, at least when it comes to blade length, but (as discussed in another thread) I carry it very rarely cause it feels to long in my pocket, due to the long handle and the mounting point of the clip.

Concerning steels:

VG10 works great for food prep in my use. Never had any rust problems, just one time I did cut cheese that was kept in a salty liquid with a VG10 knife, did not wipe off the blade properly and stored the knife for a month or so. It did develop some rust spots in the process, but nothing I could not clean off again quite easily.

My HAP40 Endura has developed some Patina, probably mainly from doing food prep, but I like that actually.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon May 20, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

LC200N Native gets used in the kitchen a lot.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Back before I retired, I used a Stretch at least a few times a week for cutting food at work and occasionally in resteraunts when a few of us would go out for lunch. Nowadays I pretty much stick to Spyderco Kitchen Sharps for cutting food unless I'm just finding excuses to cut something with a new knife, as was the case when I bought a Gayle Bradley Junction a couple weeks back.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:10 am
Back before I retired, I used a Stretch at least a few times a week for cutting food at work and occasionally in resteraunts when a few of us would go out for lunch. Nowadays I pretty much stick to Spyderco Kitchen Sharps for cutting food unless I'm just finding excuses to cut something with a new knife, as was the case when I bought a Gayle Bradley Junction a couple weeks back.

The Stretch 1s blade shape is great for cutting food, absolutely (ok, for me it´s the most versatile overall folder blade shape anyway...;) )
I know you´d also (or to be honest certainly LONG before myself) like to see a 2mm bladestock Stretch, right? Imagine, how this thing would slice... :rolleyes:
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I often use whatever I have in my pocket, but my favorites are my Police 4 (long, thin blade) and Military. I also like using my Boye Cobalt Folder despite its short thick blade, because I like the way the BDC performs in the kitchen.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Typically any new knife I get I try out in the kitchen but I don't regularly use any of my folders in the kitchen. I have always wanted to pick up a Resilience just for the kitchen though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have some nice kitchen knives so I only use my folders in the kitchen for things like opening packages. Spydercos have great blade geometry for a folder but they have nothing compared to a nice kitchen knife.

I do use my folders on lunch break sometimes and I have a young child so I use it to cut up food for him pretty often. I just use what I carry but in my experience the Police4 and Delica both work quite well. I have probably cut up hundreds of apples with my Super Blue Delica.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:47 am
I have some nice kitchen knives so I only use my folders in the kitchen for things like opening packages. Spydercos have great blade geometry for a folder but they have nothing compared to a nice kitchen knife.

I do use my folders on lunch break sometimes and I have a young child so I use it to cut up food for him pretty often. I just use what I carry but in my experience the Police4 and Delica both work quite well. I have probably cut up hundreds of apples with my Super Blue Delica.
A bit off topic, but may I ask: What will probably be the first folder you give to your child, as soon as he or she is old enough to cut up food by himself / herself? ;)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I cook daily and don't really ever use my Spydies in my own kitchen. I have kitchen knives for that. :D The exception being that I will use my PE Dragonfly Salt for deveining shrimp. Something about that shape makes it comfortable and easy to use when I am standing there for an hour deveining five pounds of those tasty boogers!

Now outside of the house, I keep a Pacific Salt in my briefcase for cutting up my food at the office, and I typically will grab a Native Salt or Pacific Salt if I am heading out to a restaurant or somewhere where I may be eating like a fair or festival or cookout or something. I am probably going to grab a few Salt 2s to throw in the mix here as well so they are a little less scary to the sheeple. :rolleyes:

I've always wanted a folding Salt knife that looks like and has the same ergos and blade shape as a steak knife. Something I can take outside the house for cutting up meals and to not draw attention to myself when whipping out my scary tactical folders! :) I wonder if an Ikuchi Salt would fit the bill? Ideally something designed to be dishwasher safe so I can fold it back up and throw it in my pocket at the restaurant, then throw it in the dishwasher for a deep clean when I get home.

Do any of you put your Salts or other folders in the dishwasher? Has Sal or Kristi or anyone ever said that Salts are dishwasher safe?? I am not recommending it, but I have run my Salts through every once in awhile with no noticeable harm done. :confused:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:35 am
I often use whatever I have in my pocket, but my favorites are my Police 4 (long, thin blade) and Military. I also like using my Boye Cobalt Folder despite its short thick blade, because I like the way the BDC performs in the kitchen.
Actually I'm surprised I don't hear of more people using the POLICE model in the kitchen because in a couple of ways it has quite a few advantages for that type of work. And both edge types of the POLICE would do well I'm sure of it.

I never got one of those Boye Dendritic Cobalt folders when I had the chance. But I imagine that they are about as rust proof as H-1 is.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:56 am
The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:35 am
Actually I'm surprised I don't hear of more people using the POLICE model in the kitchen because in a couple of ways it has quite a few advantages for that type of work. And both edge types of the POLICE would do well I'm sure of it.

I never got one of those Boye Dendritic Cobalt folders when I had the chance. But I imagine that they are about as rust proof as H-1 is.

Yeah the P4 is about as close to a folding kitchen knife as Spyderco makes in my opinion. And since reprofiling mine to about 10 dps it outperforms a lot of cheap kitchen knives.

You can still buy the Boye Cobalt Folder. David Boye still makes and sells them on his website. I bought one of his "seconds" at a 15% discount.
I've said this before but I would love to have a thinly ground kitchen knife in BDC. It takes a super sharp edge very easily (reminds me of PE H-1 in that regard) and is extremely aggressive when sharp.

As far as rust resistance, it simply can't rust. There's no iron in the composition; it's mostly cobalt, chromium, and carbon, with a little tungsten I believe.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I remember when David Boye came out with those Dendritic Cobalt blades. And it's been some time ago. Just to show you the power of "marketing" it wasn't too long after that when I seen the very first premium knife with H-1. And it wasn't a Spyderco Salt either. Benchmade had a Dive Knife model 100S H20 and they made it with H-1 for a little over a year but then changed it to X-15 TN for whatever reason. I had a Boker Gemini model that had that X-15 TN stainless and it was quite resistant to corrosion but still not comparable to H-1. I had one of those Benchmade H-1 Dive knives and I wish I would have kept it because I'm sure it's gotten colossal collector value over the years. But it sure didn't go down as one of Benchmade's success stories.

And it wasn't but about a year or two later that Spyderco launched their Salt Series with H-1. Needless to say Spyderco took H-1 steel to a really high level on the sales charts. But even as good of a performer as that Dendritic Cobalt was it never got the market appeal that H-1 did. Or was it the genius marketing rather than the overall performance that got H-1 high on the sales charts? I've wondered about that many times :confused:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:08 am
I remember when David Boye came out with those Dendritic Cobalt blades. And it's been some time ago. Just to show you the power of "marketing" it wasn't too long after that when I seen the very first premium knife with H-1. And it wasn't a Spyderco Salt either. Benchmade had a Dive Knife model 100S H20 and they made it with H-1 for a little over a year but then changed it to X-15 TN for whatever reason. I had a Boker Gemini model that had that X-15 TN stainless and it was quite resistant to corrosion but still not comparable to H-1. I had one of those Benchmade H-1 Dive knives and I wish I would have kept it because I'm sure it's gotten colossal collector value over the years. But it sure didn't go down as one of Benchmade's success stories.

And it wasn't but about a year or two later that Spyderco launched their Salt Series with H-1. Needless to say Spyderco took H-1 steel to a really high level on the sales charts. But even as good of a performer as that Dendritic Cobalt was it never got the market appeal that H-1 did. Or was it the genius marketing rather than the overall performance that got H-1 high on the sales charts? I've wondered about that many times :confused:

I think it was a combination of good marketing and lower costs. H-1 is just cheaper to produce than cast cobalt. A Boye Cobalt Folder, new, costs about $190 versus $80 or so for a Salt 2.
- Connor

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:27 am
JD Spydo wrote:

I think it was a combination of good marketing and lower costs. H-1 is just cheaper to produce than cast cobalt. A Boye Cobalt Folder, new, costs about $190 versus $80 or so for a Salt 2.
Oh and I agree with what you just said>> but don't ignore what timely marketing can do for any product. And for a company as high up the charts as Benchmade to virtually flop with H-1 but very shortly later Spyderco made it into one of their biggest cash cows without a doubt is something that can't be ignored. The H-1 steel didn't change it was largely how it was presented and marketed. You could use the "INtel vs AMD" comparison for those of you who are very computer savvy.

Intel's marketing is truly what made them the pinnacle they are today IMO. Because serious geeks have told me that AMD's products are better. That's just one comparison overall.

But Spyderco took the time to find out the strengths and weaknesses of H-1 and marketed the high points and the rest is history. But Benchmade never explored the potential of H-1 being an excellent steel for serrations>> and serrations is mainly what put the Great Spyder Factory on the map to begin with. But the overall bottom line was that it was truly a piece of timely marketing that took H-1 to another level IMO.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I just got my first ever UKPK today so now I want some G10 and FRN UKPK Salts for bringing to restaurants.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

I own two of the David Boye Dendritic cobalt folders; one all-serrated sheepsfoot and one combo-edged "pointy-tipped" version. Both are good knives, but I don't use them in the kitchen. I prefer blades with thinner grinds for cutting edibles.

I do use Spydercos for cutting fruits occasionally. I've used my Delica 4 FFG, Militaries, PE leaf-bladed Caribbean, and a few others. But I don't use them as "kitchen knives", and I don't own any Spyderco kitchen knives. My kitchen knives are all made by Victorinox.

Jim
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

I would never use a folding knife in the kitchen absent necessary.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

99 times out of 100 i use proper knives for the job (kitchen knives) I don't use a crowbar to hammer nails :)
That said i used my Calypso Jr to open a plastic bag with orange and red peppers and used it to remove the stem and slice them up a couple of days ago.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:51 am
The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:27 am
JD Spydo wrote:

Oh and I agree with what you just said>> but don't ignore what timely marketing can do for any product. And for a company as high up the charts as Benchmade to virtually flop with H-1 but very shortly later Spyderco made it into one of their biggest cash cows without a doubt is something that can't be ignored. The H-1 steel didn't change it was largely how it was presented and marketed. You could use the "INtel vs AMD" comparison for those of you who are very computer savvy.

Intel's marketing is truly what made them the pinnacle they are today IMO. Because serious geeks have told me that AMD's products are better. That's just one comparison overall.

But Spyderco took the time to find out the strengths and weaknesses of H-1 and marketed the high points and the rest is history. But Benchmade never explored the potential of H-1 being an excellent steel for serrations>> and serrations is mainly what put the Great Spyder Factory on the map to begin with. But the overall bottom line was that it was truly a piece of timely marketing that took H-1 to another level IMO.

I agree: it was genius marketing on Spyderco's part for sure that caused the H-1 Salt knives to really take off.
- Connor