Everyday Spyders You Use For Culinary/Food Uses?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: Everyday Spyders You Use For Culinary/Food Uses?

Post by VashHash »

I used to use my rock salt in the kitchen pretty often. Cutting veggies and chopping stuff. The negative blade angle worked pretty well. It's mainly my car knife now. I have also used my temperance 1 in the kitchen. It's easy to clean because of how the handle is attached. I still use my M390 mule pretty often in the kitchen too. No scales on it. I've used a few folders too but prefer fixed blades because I'm usually cutting meat.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:05 pm
I used to use my rock salt in the kitchen pretty often. Cutting veggies and chopping stuff. The negative blade angle worked pretty well. It's mainly my car knife now. I have also used my temperance 1 in the kitchen. It's easy to clean because of how the handle is attached. I still use my M390 mule pretty often in the kitchen too. No scales on it. I've used a few folders too but prefer fixed blades because I'm usually cutting meat.
Wow VASH!!! that sounds like a very enviable set up. I think even an old TOAD model with M390 would get my attention in a hurry. I wish I would had some dough handy when those M390 Mules were available. And I've heard so much good stuff about those ROCK SALT models too. Yeah those two push up the needle on my "envy meter" :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:57 pm
99 times out of 100 i use proper knives for the job (kitchen knives) I don't use a crowbar to hammer nails :)
That said i used my Calypso Jr to open a plastic bag with orange and red peppers and used it to remove the stem and slice them up a couple of days ago.

Now Larry I truly understand your sentiment and most of the time and in most situations I would agree with you 100%. But truly I have found a few of Spyderco's great EDC folders and fixed blades to also make great kitchen/culinary blades. I guess what got me started was on a couple of occasions about 15 years ago I was at a deer hunting cabin and I was the only one who brought knives that were worth the time of day. It was then when I realized about 3 of my EDC Spyders also made great food blades too.

Don't throw out the really good baby with the not so good bathwater. Because if you tried a few of these models for food prep I think you would see where we are coming from. Funny you mention the CALY JR.>> because for a short blade I can't even begin to tell you how much food prep that I used my Burgundy, ZDP-189 CAly JR. for. If I had it's really big brother the C-54 Calypso I think I could have done anything food-wise with that bad boy>> and it sure wasn't designed with food in mind. I think some day you'll reconsider :)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My plain edge Delica works great in the kitchen!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Easy day brothers.

Waterway LC200N.

Serpents Fang ... Hundred Pacer In CTS- XHP

Would purchase a fixed blade or folder version of the Hundred Pacer in LC200N without a second thought!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

A Serrata, of course...blitz through raw chickens if you want a quick soup...
Sideways for garlic crushing, and back of the spine for shellfish, breaking lobster claws etc.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:50 pm
A Serrata, of course...blitz through raw chickens if you want a quick soup...
Sideways for garlic crushing, and back of the spine for shellfish, breaking lobster claws etc.
Stuart you're not the only one I've had tell me that the "SERRATA" model is great for cutting up all kinds of meat, poultry and fish. Which is why I will never give up either one of my TEMPERANCE 1 models. It was made in SE & PE both and I use both of them probably for about the exact same reasons you use your SERRATA model. I wish Spyderco would make more heavy use fixed blades in SE & PE both. I use my PE & SE TEMP 1 about equal.

I also wish they would bring back the full SE version of the CATCHERMAN. Isn't that SERRATA model the one with the specially hardened 440C? Or am I thinking about another fixed blade model.

Well anyway I'm surprised I'm not hearing more of you who use a Spyderco heavy duty fixed blade for kitchen uses.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

The ZDP-189 Endura is my goto for powwows and events. Cutting up fry bread and Indian tacos pizza and veggies. Most events are pretty long. Always need food knife
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

N'dn Salmon hash Mmm

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

5-by-5 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 am
The ZDP-189 Endura is my goto for powwows and events. Cutting up fry bread and Indian tacos pizza and veggies. Most events are pretty long. Always need food knife
Hey I love ZDP-189 blades for all kinds of uses>> and I've used them on food before too. But I did learn the really hard way that you don't want to leave a ZDP-189 blade with anything on it. CLEAN IT!!! IMMEDIATELY after use!! Because corrosion resistance is not a strong point for ZDP-189 unfortunately.
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

I have a Spyderco model folder in my pocket any time I'm wearing pants! However, if in my kitchen I always grab a kitchen knife. I have various types and sizes of quality steel Japanese kitchen knives. Most of which are very thin "lasers". I just don't see the 3" or so folder (what I usually carry) with typically much thicker blade stock being better for food prep.
In a pinch when not in my kitchen, if I needed to slice some food, then I would use my Spyderco folder because I don't carry my kitchen knife block around with me.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Forgot about the southfork. I've used that quite a bit for a kitchen knife. Just gotta be sure to clean it and dry it before putting back in the sheath. I find the rougher satin finish on the blade holds more moisture. It's the only time I've had a corrosion issue with S90V. It was easily cleaned but it still happened.