Why put liners in the Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tangent

Why put liners in the Delica?

Post by tangent »

This is a serious question...and I know we all have our preferences. I admit that I am biased because I prefer the linerless Salt 2 scales over the lined Delica 4 scales. But my preference isn't based on feel alone. The linerless handles are very slightly thicker for added rigidity and therefore fill my hand just a little better. But other than that, it just seems that the linerless design is simpler and more rust resistant...plus, they must be slightly cheaper to make.

So, other than the additional heft that you feel with the weight of the liners, what's the purpose? I imagine that it adds strength, but the amount of strength added doesn't seem to be a huge selling point in a folding pocket knife. But the weight reduction, simplicity and increase in corrosion resistance are all pluses in my book.

What do you all say?
Last edited by tangent on Sun May 19, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Why have liners in the Delica?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think in the Pakkawood model, they add a classy touch that goes well with the full length backspacer.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tangent

Re: Why have liners in the Delica?

Post by tangent »

I should clarify that I am only talking about the FRN models. No argument against the steel liners in wood scales.
ugaarguy

Re: Why put liners in the Delica?

Post by ugaarguy »

The Native LW and G10 S30V both went liner-less. I agree with switching the FRN Delica and Endura to liner-less. I've never had good results with getting clips tight on Spydies where the clip screws mount into the thin metal liners. I love molded in thread inserts on anything that doesn't have a metal scale or thick metal liner.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The liners were added in the Delica 4 revision to facilitate four-way clip mounting. The Delica 3 barrel bolt setup only permitted tip-up clip mounting. My guess is that there was wide sentiment for four-way clips before they were available on the Delica/Endura.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have nothing against going linerless, even would prefer it in many knives.

But not so in the Delica/Endura/(Endela)-family.

First these are such iconic models and changes should be just very subtle imho, for mainly "historic and traditional" reasons. (EDIT:Learned just right now (thanks, Bill) that the liners are not a "traditional" feature, but D3 had NO liners. So I was wrong on that).

Then the Delica feels just perfectly balanced and very sturdy as it is.

And while for example the linerless, delicashaped Salt 2 is 15% lighter than the SABREGRIND Delica (since the Salt is slso sg, that's a better comparison than to the ffg Delica), I am not sure if this is really that much noticeable
in reality (btw., the linerless Native lw (sure a different knife with thicker bladestock) is almost 20% HEAVIER than the linered ffg Delica).

If at all or how much more flex there would be in a linerless Delica I can't tell. Never had a salt 2, just Native 5 lw and Manix 2 lw. THESE two felt very solid though, but are different knives and FRCP, not FRN...
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon May 20, 2019 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:03 am
The liners were added in the Delica 4 revision to facilitate four-way clip mounting. The Delica 3 barrel bolt setup only permitted tip-up clip mounting. My guess is that there was wide sentiment for four-way clips before they were available on the Delica/Endura.
So Delica 3 was linerless?? Did not know that!!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:07 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Yes it was. The handle molds for the D3 and E3 were re-used in the Salt line.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:14 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:07 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Yes it was. The handle molds for the D3 and E3 were re-used in the Salt line.
Thanks!! I was aware of that the Salt handles are shaped after D3 and E3, but thought the latter HAD liners while the Salt models do not.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

In many ways the barrel bolt clip fastening method is (my opinion) more elegant than three screws and 12 tapped holes. However, the tip-down carry proponents are surely appreciative of being accommodated.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

The rigidity added by the liners is just as ''important'' as the weight spared by taking them off.To each it's own,but i don't understand this anti-liner movement.Maybe it's a wish to relive times gone by,when we where young,and linerless?
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It used to bug me that they threw liners in there, but I think it gives them the perfect amount of heft, not too heavy or light. Less chance of stripping the D holes out when fiddling around on them also. I do like the Salt knives' feather weight, though. I'm not a fan of all the ribbing inside the Salts and Natives, however. I wish they were solid FRN.
- best wishes, Jazz.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Guess I like that it is available both ways. Should make those that prefer them and those that don't prefer them content. A better approach than all linerless may be keeping things as they are and adding a LC200N Salt 2 version.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
tangent

Post by tangent »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:31 am
Guess I like that it is available both ways. Should make those that prefer them and those that don't prefer them content. A better approach than all linerless may be keeping things as they are and adding a LC200N Salt 2 version.

CG
Yes except that we can’t get FFG in the Salt 2 scales.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

tangent wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:34 am
cycleguy wrote:

CG
I see. Can Delica 4 blades be swapped with Salt 2 blades if someone was interested?

CG
tangent

Post by tangent »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:46 am
tangent wrote:
cycleguy wrote:

CG
I see. Can Delica 4 blades be swapped with Salt 2 blades if someone was interested?

CG
Yes. In fact, this is what I have done. It would be nice to not have to buy two knives for every one I’d like to use.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

tangent wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:26 am
cycleguy wrote:
tangent wrote:
cycleguy wrote:

CG

CG
Yes. In fact, this is what I have done. It would be nice to not have to buy two knives for every one I’d like to use.
I completely understand; a ffg Salt 2 offering along with the other two offerings does seem to have its place. Maybe someday!

CG
tangent

Post by tangent »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 am
tangent wrote:
cycleguy wrote:
tangent wrote:

CG
I completely understand; a ffg Salt 2 offering along with the other two offerings does seem to have its place. Maybe someday!

CG
Yep. I’m hoping for a Salt 2 Wharnie in LC200N with black scales. Too specific? :)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

tangent wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:29 am
cycleguy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 am
tangent wrote:
cycleguy wrote:

CG

CG
Yep. I’m hoping for a Salt 2 Wharnie in LC200N with black scales. Too specific? :)
Not at all. We all have our things that we like... just hope Spyderco keeps pumping out the choices vs whittling back!

CG
ferider

Post by ferider »

spyderwolf wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:08 am
The rigidity added by the liners is just as ''important'' as the weight spared by taking them off.To each it's own,but i don't understand this anti-liner movement.Maybe it's a wish to relive times gone by,when we where young,and linerless?
I'm with you. Except for Salt models, I completely fail to understand why the little additional weight matters for practical carry, while liners sure give more overall toughness (and add material value, too). For example, for liner-less Native 5 vs liner'ed Native 5, the liners just add 17g (e.g., C41GM45 comes in at 88g, while the C41GDBL5 is 105g). Anything less than 110g total, I can't feel in my pocket anyways, and I can loose more than 17g just by skipping dinner once :) And then, people love clips on liner-less tiny knives, which add ~10g by themselves. Somebody explain me this.

In fact this trend of going liner-less for most new releases pushes me away from Spyderco. In my example above, a fully liner'ed M4 Native 5 would have been the bee's knees, but like that, oh well ....