Street Beat Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Street Beat sprint run?

Yes. I'd prefer stainless with a satin finish (M390, CTS204P, S110V, LC200N etc.)
35%
Yes. I'd prefer stainless with a DLC finish
4%
Yes. I'd prefer carbon steel with a satin finish (K390, M4, Super Blue, etc.)
29%
Yes. I'd prefer carbon steel with a DLC finish
9%
No, I am not interested in this model regardless of steel choice
12%
No, I am happy with VG10
10%

Total votes: 68

Michael Janich

Re: Street Beat Sprint

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

I would love a Street Beat Sprint run. I think it's one of the best fixed blade designs Spyderco has ever offered and love Fred's work. It's important to remember, however, that the original Street Beat (not the Lightweight, with injection-molded handle) is hand finished. The blending of the handle scales and the full tang is custom quality, but also makes it impossible to do a coated blade. DLC, while technically available in Japan, is also not commonly used in the Japanese knife industry--especially by the traditional maker of the Street Beat.

I'm not trying to be a fun sponge, but a big part of manufacturing is managing the realities of your resources. FWIW, Fred's custom pieces are very reasonably priced for the custom-knife market. He also puts custom handles on his mid-tech production blades. Working with him directly might be a shorter path to joy, if you have a personal "dream" Street Beat in mind.
Stay safe,

Mike
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:49 am
Hey, All:

I would love a Street Beat Sprint run. I think it's one of the best fixed blade designs Spyderco has ever offered and love Fred's work. It's important to remember, however, that the original Street Beat (not the Lightweight, with injection-molded handle) is hand finished. The blending of the handle scales and the full tang is custom quality, but also makes it impossible to do a coated blade. DLC, while technically available in Japan, is also not commonly used in the Japanese knife industry--especially by the traditional maker of the Street Beat.

I'm not trying to be a fun sponge, but a big part of manufacturing is managing the realities of your resources. FWIW, Fred's custom pieces are very reasonably priced for the custom-knife market. He also puts custom handles on his mid-tech production blades. Working with him directly might be a shorter path to joy, if you have a personal "dream" Street Beat in mind.
Stay safe,

Mike

I wonder if he'll make me a wharnie version?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:24 am
Michael Janich wrote:
Hey, All:

Stay safe,

Mike

I wonder if he'll make me a wharnie version?
He did collaborate with Mike to make the fusion. I think he would do it.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Michael Janich wrote:
Hey, All:

Stay safe,

Mike
Mike,

Thanks for this. I may just try to reach out to him for a custom Street Beat. I'm still "all in" for a sprint run if Spyderco ever decides to do that though.
--Jeremy
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I'm happy with VG10,but i would love to see the micarta/satin coming back.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.