Military...so much handle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Re: Military...so much handle

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:03 pm
The Military is superior to the Paramilitary and the Para 3 in every way, I think. At least, when I get them in hand I think so.
Preach it brother Dan.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:48 pm

I think an FRN version is not too unlikely... the Native 5 got that treatment too, right, so why not the Chief.

Imagine a Chief LW Salt?!? :eek:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

The handle on the Military is fantastic for basically every grip you can imagine. I don't use mine as much anymore as my health dictates what I wear. If I'm not feeling good it's light gym or sweat pants. When healthy , I wear cargo shorts or jeans with the Military aboard.

I prefer the Framelock versions of the Millie better and do wish Golden would insert some steel threads in the G10 for 4 way pocket clip carry.

James
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

After using it this morning doing some outside work, I have to admit...it really is a great knife. I never ran out of cutting edge, never had to worry about getting the pivot dirty when digging out weeds from the mulch. I also did some chopping to round off a few of our shrubs and bushes. Extremely comfortable in hand. This is also my first knife in S110V and I can see why it's considered a super steel. Still shaving sharp, and I gave it some good whacks.

I guess the color of the scales is what is bothering me most at the moment. As this knife fits very well in the back pocket, the size doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as I previously thought. Even my wife knocked me "Look at Ricky with his big, purple knife" such a jerk haha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:13 pm
After using it this morning doing some outside work, I have to admit...it really is a great knife. I never ran out of cutting edge, never had to worry about getting the pivot dirty when digging out weeds from the mulch. I also did some chopping to round off a few of our shrubs and bushes. Extremely comfortable in hand. This is also my first knife in S110V and I can see why it's considered a super steel. Still shaving sharp, and I gave it some good whacks.

I guess the color of the scales is what is bothering me most at the moment. As this knife fits very well in the back pocket, the size doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as I previously thought. Even my wife knocked me "Look at Ricky with his big, purple knife" such a jerk haha.
You could always dye the scales?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Lol.

Get your hands on a CTS-XHP, and a Cruwear Military then you will have something to talk about.

M390 might cost too much but a CTS204P will give you more than you bargained for CTS 204P same steel as M390 less recognition comes in Green.

Less cost as well.

Next some S90V with some Millie love ala’ Bento Boxshop Baby.

Or score a TI with CF in S90V.

Welcome to the Spyderco Military Experience Sweetheart!

GO LARGE OR GO HOME!
ferider

Post by ferider »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Alright. Now that you got used to this one, the next one on the list should be the K2 :) Just as easy to carry (handle size), steel is even better. And not purple, so better for the wife, too :D

Cheers,

Roland.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This topic keeps making me chuckle every time I see it. If you search back far enough through my posts you'll see me commenting that the handle is ridiculous and way too big and how it's the one thing I hated about this knife. Now here I am 9 years later and I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe try to squeeze another half inch of blade into the existing handle. I basically forced myself to carry and use one before it made sense, and even then it took a lot of gloved yard work for it to really start shining.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:02 am

I basically forced myself to carry and use one before it made sense, and even then it took a lot of gloved yard work for it to really start shining.

This is where I really wish there was a love child of a Military and a Pacific Salt. Basically a G10 Military Salt with SE H1 and PE H1 blades. I use my Pac Salts for yard work for the rust-less-ness and toughness of H1, but I would prefer the Military handle. This would really make the ultimate yard work folder!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:02 am
... and I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe try to squeeze another half inch of blade into the existing handle....
Now THAT is so true... go all the way and make it a REALLY big folder. As it is now, the Mili offers only slightly more edge than a an Endura.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

LC200N Military or Vanex then all is said and done.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:07 pm
LC200N Military or Vanex then all is said and done.
I would love to see a LC200N Military Salt. :)

I often read comments from some people who wish the Military's blade was longer so the blade-to-handle ratio would be more "even". The Military's blade-to-handle ratio is actually perfect the way it is. If the blade were any longer, people would be complaining that the tip is poking their finger while in the closed position.

Jim
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I put off getting a Military for a long while because it seemed that my cancer was leading me down the immobile path, wheelchairs and all. But, I’m able to walk carefully at home and perhaps later on, outside more.

Anyway, given that carrying a larger knife when warranted is back in the picture. I’m going with Bloke’s recommendation to get a Military after I get rid of a few more knives and stuff. I predict I won’t have a need for some of the “larger” knives I now have.

From the comments here I think I will really appreciate the Military. And, frankly for me, it’s about time.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:54 pm
I put off getting a Military for a long while because it seemed that my cancer was leading me down the immobile path, wheelchairs and all. But, I’m able to walk carefully at home and perhaps later on, outside more.

Anyway, given that carrying a larger knife when warranted is back in the picture. I’m going with Bloke’s recommendation to get a Military after I get rid of a few more knives and stuff. I predict I won’t have a need for some of the “larger” knives I now have.

From the comments here I think I will really appreciate the Military. And, frankly for me, it’s about time.

Good to hear Michael! I think you will enjoy the Military; it's such a classic Sal Glesser design.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"