Military...so much handle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Military...so much handle

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The past few months, I've really been itching for a Military. A Spyderco icon and highly praised model around here. I came across a great opportunity and jumped on it. I've had mine in S110V the past couple days, and sadly...I'm not a fan of this knife. Besides the purple scales... there's definitely nothing blue about them, their purple..or else I'm color blind. I think there's just waaaaay too much handle on this knife. Maybe that was the intention of the design?? For me, it's just too much

Prior to this knife, I considered my SE Endura and Gayle Bradley 2 as my "larger folders" with the Manix 2 and PM2 close behind. I've compared the Endura and GB2 to this knife and was quite surprised in how close the blade length was with the 3 of them, but then you get to the handle and the Military is around an inch longer in length. I didn't take measurements, just from the eye test.

After looking at all these models laid out together, the Military began to look kind of doofy too me. So much handle, yet similar length blade.

For those of you that carry a Police, how does it compare or differ from the Military in this aspect? Also curious how the Chief will stack up here once it's released. I know there's a cult following for the Millie, and I'm glad I finally gave it a shot. It just doesn't live up to the hype or meet the expectations for me and I will be moving on from this model. Really makes me appreciate the GB2 that much more now.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Re: Military...so much handle

Post by Wartstein »

I am like you, the Military is just too long in pocket (even more so given where the clip is mounted).
Add linerlock (not my favorite), only tip down carry, and tip I am always a bit worried about (snapping, though it never happened tbh): The Mili is not really for me. Endura gives me not much less edge in a way smaller package (though the Military has even better ergos admittedly).

Never had a Police, but I think it would be too long for me either.

But I have high hopes for the Chief! More than 1 cm shorter (and slimmer) than the Mili when closed, sticks less deeply in the pocket anyway due to clip mounting position, but virtually the same edge length. Plus backlock. Perfect for me, probably... hope for an FRN version some day...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's a big knife designed to accomodate big hands while wearing gloves. Compact knives have their place, but so do large handled ones like the Millie.

If you feel the Millie is too much handle the Police probably isn't your cup of tea either. Similar handle length.

I like having the option of choking up in the choil, using the general purpose grip, or being able to hang three fingers off the butt end for chop cuts. Makes the knife very versatile.
:unicorn
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It's all about that handle though... Big and comfy for me. The Police4 does carry better, with great ergos and a thinner stock. It's a very different design.

Regardless, do you have an issue with how the knife feels in your hand? Especially with big knives, what's the reason to focus on blade to handle ratio? The flexibility and leverage the Military gives you is partly why it gets so much love around here.

I'm super stoked about the Chief and will likely jump on the first drop! No thumb ramp and I hope the LW version had a wire clip ;)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've always found the Military to be a very comfortable knife in my hand, almost perfect in fact. It's never felt too big for me, either in hand or in pocket. I own an older, Japan-made Cold Steel X2 Voyager with a 6" blade, which I do feel is too big for practical carry for me. With a 6" blade length, I'd rather carry a fixed blade. BTW, I'm 5' 9" to 5' 10" tall and have medium-sized hands. Of course, YMMV. I'm also comfortable with the Delica and Para 3, which some people feel are too small. I carry and use my Military, but more often carry knives in the 3" to 3.5" range, because I don't always need a 4"-bladed folder. My favorite is the Caribbean, which is about 3.5" but has a cutting edge length comparable to the Military's.

As for the Police model, the only ones I have are variations of the SS model, and they, too, are comfortable in hand. I find the Military more comfortable in hand than the SS Police, which is more slick.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sun May 19, 2019 12:24 am, edited 7 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:54 pm

Regardless, do you have an issue with how the knife feels in your hand? Especially with big knives, what's the reason to focus on blade to handle ratio? The flexibility and leverage the Military gives you is partly why it gets so much love around here.
Not the OP here, still I may answer: For me the Mili is too long when closed, but I personally have no issue at all with how it feels in hand. In fact it feels great and has perfect ergos.
It's really ALL about carrying the knife. I am just a right front pocket guy, tried IWB, back pocket, but that does not really work for me.
When carried in my front pocket, especially in not too loose pants, the Military feels awkward and uncomfortable, especiallly when riding a bycicle or sitting in a car.
Still, I would carry one regardless, but the Endura and Stretch both have enough edge for me and really give me all I need,that's why my Mili is getting almost no pocket time...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Military to me is par excellence and a resounding credit to Mr Glesser. It certainly isn’t a small knife and does have ample handle, something I consider a positive. The negative rake, blade length, shape and splinter probe tip makes it an extremely versatile knife.

All said, it wasn’t love at first sight. When I got my first Military I certainly liked it but thought it was huge, way too much knife to carry in a pocket. Our good brother Evil D suggested I slip it in my back right hand pocket so I did and the rest is history.

I wouldn’t change a single thing and if I could only have one single folding knife I’d have a Mighty Military. :)

Still patiently awaiting a Maxamet blade in my favourite folder. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I measuredthe internals of my Millie, and a bigger blade is possible.
But would it be worth it?

Change is not always needed...
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

...except for an AEB-L blade... :)
jacala

Post by jacala »

Waaaaaaay too much handle was the intention of the design.
It's a Military knife. Can be handled with a pair of gloves on and with two hands on if need be.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I always fond the Military to be perfect in hand,too large in the pocket.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You mostly talked about what it looked like and not what it was like to use it.

The handle is big but it has partial liners and it is a relatively lightweight knife. It actually carries pretty well. It could be said that the Para2 has a large handle for its blade too.

I wasn’t sold at first either but once you carry it for a while it does have a way of shrinking on you. Quite a few forumites have had a similar experience. Now when I open a Para2 it looks like a little stubby blade to me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:53 am
Now when I open a Para2 it looks like a little stubby blade to me.
:)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:56 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Now when I open a Para2 it looks like a little stubby blade to me.
:)
Probably because the modern world conditions folks to think any usefully large blade is a tacticool murder weapon.
:unicorn
blues

Post by blues »

It's not too much handle. You're wearing the wrong pants.

I find that the Military and Police 4 carry quite comfortably in the pocket, and feel great in the hand.

(And I only have medium sized hands by most measurements.)
- Retired from the chase -
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

I too wish the military had a little more blade for the existing handle, and agree it is on the large side. That said, I still love it and it has long been my primary EDC.

This is hearsay, but from what I remember Sal saying (typing):
Yes, gloved hands were one of the design criteria for the Military, hence it's oversized handle and opening hole. (I can personally attest that it is successful in these two functions)
For the first two iterations of the Police, one of the design objectives was as much blade in as little handle as possible.

The third handle and forth profile generation added tip up clip placement, and so are a bit larger. I have not handled them so I cannot speak to whether they have stuck to the minimal handle, but they do look larger.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
I wasn’t sold at first either but once you carry it for a while it does have a way of shrinking on you. Quite a few forumites have had a similar experience. Now when I open a Para2 it looks like a little stubby blade to me.

Well said! At first I thought the Military was a huge knife, but it wasn't long before the Millie looked and felt normal and everything else tiny. It really does grow on you as you carry and use it; it is now one of my top favorite knife designs of all time.

The Police is slimmer than the Millie, and it carries better, but as others have said the handle is essentially identical in length: they just managed to cram an extra half inch of blade in there. It's a superb design in it's own right but if you feel the Military is too big for you than I don't see the Police being any better.

I know that big knives are not everyone's cup of tea but I'd encourage you to give the Military a fair trial Rick, you might be surprised how quickly that knife shrinks. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ferider

Post by ferider »

If anybody is interested, Aramis Model Swift scales reduce Military handle length from 5 1/2 stock to 5 1/4 " length.

On top:

Note also, that the black CF Military sans clip above weighs 111g only, with steel liners, backspacer, and 4 screws on either side. Identical to the weight of the fully linerless upcoming Chief. :)

Having said this, I like large knife handles. More important than longer blade. I also like heavier Pivots. Which other Spyderco has a T15 Pivot ? As an outdoors user, the Military is in a completely different category than - say - the Endura.

BTW, the Police handle is also 5 1/2" long, but feels a little easier to carry than Military, since it's thinner. Then again, a 4" blade is sometimes more useful than 4.5 (P4). I wouldn't want to live without either Military or P4 in my life :)

The Meat man wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:48 am
I know that big knives are not everyone's cup of tea but I'd encourage you to give the Military a fair trial Rick, you might be surprised how quickly that knife shrinks. :)

I second this !

Roland.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

ferider wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:49 am
If anybody is interested, Aramis Model Swift scales reduce Military handle length from 5 1/2 stock to 5 1/4 " length.

On top:

Note also, that the black CF Military sans clip above weighs 111g only, with steel liners, backspacer, and 4 screws on either side. Identical to the weight of the fully linerless upcoming Chief. :)

Having said this, I like large knife handles. More important than longer blade. I also like heavier Pivots. Which other Spyderco has a T15 Pivot ? As an outdoors user, the Military is in a completely different category than - say - the Endura.

BTW, the Police handle is also 5 1/2" long, but feels a little easier to carry than Military, since it's thinner. Then again, a 4" blade is sometimes more useful than 4.5 (P4). I wouldn't want to live without either Military or P4 in my life :)

The Meat man wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:48 am

I second this !

Roland.
More details about the custom scales on the top please!
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
ferider

Post by ferider »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:09 am
More details about the custom scales on the top please!
Aramis "New Version Military Scales, Swift, Full CF, NO CLIP". Need to send him an email, as he only sells scales with clip on ebay. Same price as 253753656645@ebay. You can pick other materials, too, see the ebay listing.

'99 FSTF here, BTW :)

Roland.