Military...so much handle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Re: Military...so much handle

Post by cycleguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:44 pm

But I have high hopes for the Chief! More than 1 cm shorter (and slimmer) than the Mili when closed, sticks less deeply in the pocket anyway due to clip mounting position, but virtually the same edge length. Plus backlock. Perfect for me, probably... hope for an FRN version some day...
The day after the reveal, I started thinking about a FRN version tool!!! Strange how I can get myself all worked up and excited about a variant when I haven't even experienced some version of the knife yet.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

IMG_20190516_174000_01.jpg
Here's a pic of the Military next to a Police4. Handles are the same length. The Police4 carries better if you have the clip setup for tip-up. I find it's actually a little worse to carry tip-down than the Millie, because the thumb ramp on the blade sticks out more.
I find the Military handle to be a little more ergonomic, but both are excellent.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You just have to grow into it. Use it with gloves on. After carrying one for a year or so my Manix 2 and Para 2 feel like kids toys.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Though I find the handle huge, it's definitely extremely comfortable with various grips. I like choking up and using the choil on all my knives and was surprised when doing so with the Military that even with that much handle hanging off the back of my medium-large hand, was still pretty balanced and comfortable.

I've got some trimming to do with my landscaping this morning and will use it for that, I'll try chopping as well, something new for me with a folder that I typically don't do. Obviously this knife is up for the task.

You guys aren't kidding though, after carrying it in my back pocket the past couple days and fiddling around with it even when not using it and then putting it away for the night. I then grab onto a Delica or Para 3 and they feel tiny. The Dragonfly was almost comical :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I have to agree with much of what's said above: yes it's a big knife and yes it's super comfy in hand. And you're all totally right that smaller knives just feel super small in comparison, even my PM2's feel tiny, and when I first got a PM2 I thought jeez what a big knife! Not so much any more lol. A PM2 with a slightly longer blade would be so sweet...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

ferider wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:15 am
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:09 am
More details about the custom scales on the top please!
Aramis "New Version Military Scales, Swift, Full CF, NO CLIP". Need to send him an email, as he only sells scales with clip on ebay. Same price as 253753656645@ebay. You can pick other materials, too, see the ebay listing.

'99 FSTF here, BTW :)

Roland.
99 FSTF?

Also why do I need a clip? I can not reuse mine?

It says new version. Does that mean for a CQI Millie or something internal with Aramis?

Thanks
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:30 am
You just have to grow into it. Use it with gloves on. After carrying one for a year or so my Manix 2 and Para 2 feel like kids toys.
So true. My PM2 is so tiny feeling.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hey Harley, sent you a PM
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ferider

Post by ferider »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:04 am
99 FSTF?

Also why do I need a clip? I can not reuse mine?

It says new version. Does that mean for a CQI Millie or something internal with Aramis?

Thanks
'99 FSTF = '99 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy. From your moniker, I assumed you ride. Just ignore I guess ....

If you buy from ebay, Aramis scales will have a cutout to screw in your clip. See the silver twill Rex 45 Military in my picture.

If you don't want to use a clip at all, he can custom make a scale without the cutout, like in the black M4 Military in my picture.
Last edited by ferider on Sun May 19, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Ah ok makes sense.

Yeah I ride just out of context I did t get your reference. Wide Glide and Road King for me. I do very much miss my Sporty though.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Military and the regular Manix 2 have about the same measurement of gripping area between the rise of the finger guard and the rise of the pommel. However, the Military rounds these off so that if you have on gloves, or have big hands, you can ride up on these and still be comfortable. I wish other knives were like this.

Now, the NC and the P4 have in favor that they do not have a confined space for your hand. They should be far better for big hands and gloves.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Millie. Don’t change a thing (blade-steels excepted). So says the guy who wanted to change some things before he got one and put it to use.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Those Aramis scales are so sweet. I'm just a little leery of taking factory scales off a lanyard tube, I can just imagine me being an idiot and SNAP...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Not much to add (new anyway).
I have small hands and thought the PM2 was perfect.
I waited for many years before buying my first Mili.
Now it is all I carry! You have to judge it in use, not by looks. It is design genius in many subtle ways. Even the liner lock and tip-down, which I was not a fan of, just work for this design. I rarely carry a PM2 anymore, unless I am in a social setting where a Mili might be out-of-place.
As far as handle length - my hands are not Vivi-sized, not even close. I don't cover much of the handle in a static grip, but that handle allows for so much flexibility and dynamic use (you can shift grip "on-the-fly" according to the task and immediate ergonomic needs, there is never a compromise. And it is the only folder I can use in winter when I am always wearing heavy mittens and liner gloves or mittens. The handle is secure, the lock is sufficiently accessible, the whole package carries very easily, everything works. The only thing I changed was the clip - to a deep carry Lynch clip.
ferider

Post by ferider »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:23 am
Those Aramis scales are so sweet. I'm just a little leery of taking factory scales off a lanyard tube, I can just imagine me being an idiot and SNAP...
You don't need the tube for the Aramis scales, there is are additional screws going in the backspacer instead. So, for taking the original G10 scales off, you don't even need to remove the tube, the liners are not connected to it. Just remove all original screws, spread the scales/liners a bit to remove the blade, and the liners will basically fall out. The new scales will come with 6 new T6/M2 (?) scale screws. You just need blade, pivot, washers, pivot screws, stop pin and liners from the original knife.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

ferider wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:18 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:23 am
You don't need the tube for the Aramis scales, there is are additional screws going in the backspacer instead. So, for taking the original G10 scales off, you don't even need to remove the tube, the liners are not connected to it. Just remove all original screws, spread the scales/liners a bit to remove the blade, and the liners will basically fall out. The new scales will come with 6 new T6/M2 (?) scale screws. You just need blade, pivot, washers, pivot screws, stop pin and liners from the original knife.
Oh that's interesting, thanks. I really like the carbon fiber handles, so sleek lol
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:22 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:44 pm

But I have high hopes for the Chief! More than 1 cm shorter (and slimmer) than the Mili when closed, sticks less deeply in the pocket anyway due to clip mounting position, but virtually the same edge length. Plus backlock. Perfect for me, probably... hope for an FRN version some day...
The day after the reveal, I started thinking about a FRN version tool!!! Strange how I can get myself all worked up and excited about a variant when I haven't even experienced some version of the knife yet.

CG
I just KNOW I'll like the Chief, just by looking at pics or Erics vid... :)
/ I think an FRN version is not too unlikely... the Native 5 got that treatment too, right, so why not the Chief.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You can buy the Aramis scales direct from his web site now: http://aratech.ru
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I think the OP really is only referring to the Military having a very long handle in relation to the actual cutting edge, and that's what I second.

In all other aspects it's really a great user-knife, with near perfect ergos, no one has to convince me bout that at all!

It's just not the best for front pocket carry imho, that's all. If I'd wear some kind of more "tactical" pants with leg-/sidepockets instead of jeans when at work, I 'd carry my Mili a whole lot more (though I'd still prefer the backlocks on my Enduras and Stretches).

In fact I am thinking about purchasing that kind of pants and not jeans as soon as I'll need new clothes, for luckily in my job I can wear these "tactical" pants no problem, and they'd be way better for knife-carry in general.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Military is superior to the Paramilitary and the Para 3 in every way, I think. At least, when I get them in hand I think so.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050