Native CQI linerless/FRN blade swap?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pickmansmodel82

Native CQI linerless/FRN blade swap?

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

Has anyone here tried a blade swap on the new linerless G10 native 5 to the FRN LW model? I’m thinking of swapping a maxamet blade with the DLC M4, and vice versa.

Are the tolerances similar, minus the pivot having washers?
toocool006

Re: Native CQI linerless/FRN blade swap?

Post by toocool006 »

Did you ever end up doing this? How did it go? Has anyone else done this? I'm considering swapping my rex45 lw with my linerless smooth forest green s90v. Any input y'all could share would be appreciated!
~andrew
gbcaffee

Post by gbcaffee »

I swapped a LW Native 5 Rex 45 with a G10 Rex 45 and it went fine. They're both pretty easy to assemble. I didn't notice any issues on either once I got them reassembled. (got a used Rex 45 G-10 which had a blade which had been used pretty rough already, and wanted to put that on the beater LW and swap the new LW blade into the G-10). I don't notice any blade play or anything on either one now.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

gbcaffee wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:55 pm
I swapped a LW Native 5 Rex 45 with a G10 Rex 45 and it went fine. They're both pretty easy to assemble. I didn't notice any issues on either once I got them reassembled. (got a used Rex 45 G-10 which had a blade which had been used pretty rough already, and wanted to put that on the beater LW and swap the new LW blade into the G-10). I don't notice any blade play or anything on either one now.

Thank you, very helpful to hear! Going to give my project a shot and update y'all.
~andrew
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

With the Natives I swap out both blade and lockbar together when doing blade swaps. All in all I've found the Native 5 platform one of the easiest models to perform blade swaps on.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I just did the swap, swapping both the blades and lockbars to keep each set paired. Came out very well! I needed to really press the G10 back together to eliminate any gap between the scales and the lockbar/backspacer, but once I got it fully seated it's good to go!
~andrew
JMM

Post by JMM »

I swapped the blade from my Rex45 LW Native5 with the S90V/154 blade from my Native5 CF, both knives were 100% on point after the swap, like they belonged that way, I was super impressed.