Police 4 lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
francoiski

Police 4 lightweight

Post by francoiski »

i was reading on the forum that Sal wanted to make some in zdp and k390. i can't find any mention of them anymore. Anyone has some info? Thanks in advance!
The Meat man

Re: Police 4 lightweight

Post by The Meat man »

I can't find the exact quotes but from what I understand, Spyderco is planning on producing the FRN Police in ZDP-189, K390, and VG-10; however, the initial release will be the VG-10 model, with the others to follow if sales are high enough.

I could be wrong though. Hopefully Sal will chime in here.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Sal has actually said a few times that they want to release it in all 3 steels.
VG10 will have a black handle
ZDP189 will have the British Racing Green that usually accommodates the other Seki City models
K390 would apparently be packaged with Midnight Blue
Blades

Post by Blades »

Looking forward to seeing this one at Blade Show.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The FRN P4 is a step in the right direction, especially as the G10 version is very costly. However, as much as I like VG-10, that K390 is wonderful stuff. I hope they do come out with a LW in that steel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:15 am
The FRN P4 is a step in the right direction, especially as the G10 version is very costly. However, as much as I like VG-10, that K390 is wonderful stuff. I hope they do come out with a LW in that steel.
I'll be doing my part in bringing the K390 version to market by getting a VG-10 version as soon as they drop.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:12 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I'll be doing my part in bringing the K390 version to market by getting a VG-10 version as soon as they drop.
Yes me as well. Would love to see the K390 version come to life. Even thought about swapping the blades. Putting my K390 blade in the LW model and the vg10 in this g10 model. I don't know if can be done but I'm going to find out.
vivi

Post by vivi »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:12 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Same here. Hoping for a DLC run someday too!
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

And in the end, the demand will be critical in making decisions.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yep. If everyone holds out for the K390 run, there might not be one.

I'm in for a couple vg10's myself. At the price they're selling I'm at least getting one to EDC and one for back-up.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:04 pm

sal

I have to imagine for most new flagship type (Chief, Police LW, Shaman) models there is enough demand to justify at least one or two sprints or exclusives as long as the steels are ones that are "in vogue" when the sprint is released (so CRUWEAR, M390, K390 rather than S35VN, S90V, VG10). A lot people seem to be "waiting for the exclusives" on these new releases. The first Shaman exclusive sold out in minutes. I'm not sure how well the base model was selling, but the demand for exclusives was certainly there. I haven't got one yet, but i'll be getting one of the next exclusives or sprints for sure.

I think the Chief will be the same way. Maybe slow out of the gate, but a BHQ Exclusives will be an easy sell out, as would a CRUWEAR exclusive. Manix XL and Manix Backlock could fall into this category as well.

And I feel the Police LW will be the same. People want that Navy Blue/K390 and will wait for it. Just because there isnt demand for a black/vg10 Police LW doesnt nessecarily mean there isnt enough demand to support a K390 version. You might sell more Navy FRN/DLC K390 models as it is a unique and great looking combo than you ever would sell the basic black VG-10. I have nothing really against VG-10, but the Police LW isn't on my list at the moment. Blue/DLC K390 and i'm in!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:23 pm
sal wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:04 pm

sal

I have to imagine for most new flagship type (Chief, Police LW, Shaman) models there is enough demand to justify at least one or two sprints or exclusives as long as the steels are ones that are "in vogue" when the sprint is released (so CRUWEAR, M390, K390 rather than S35VN, S90V, VG10). A lot people seem to be "waiting for the exclusives" on these new releases. The first Shaman exclusive sold out in minutes. I'm not sure how well the base model was selling, but the demand for exclusives was certainly there. I haven't got one yet, but i'll be getting one of the next exclusives or sprints for sure.

I think the Chief will be the same way. Maybe slow out of the gate, but a BHQ Exclusives will be an easy sell out, as would a CRUWEAR exclusive. Manix XL and Manix Backlock could fall into this category as well.

And I feel the Police LW will be the same. People want that Navy Blue/K390 and will wait for it. Just because there isnt demand for a black/vg10 Police LW doesnt nessecarily mean there isnt enough demand to support a K390 version. You might sell more Navy FRN/DLC K390 models as it is a unique and great looking combo than you ever would sell the basic black VG-10. I have nothing really against VG-10, but the Police LW isn't on my list at the moment. Blue/DLC K390 and i'm in!
Yeah......I don't understand why the K390 wasnt 1st.
Anyone knows that will sale like hot cakes.
I for one surely ain't gonna buy a VG10 model just to hope they make a K390 version.
Man, that's like holding the K390 version as a ransom lol.
sal

Post by sal »

We have many customers that are not knife afi's like the forumites visiting here. The majority of customers prefer stainless steels.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:56 am
We have many customers that are not knife afi's like the forumites visiting here. The majority of customers prefer stainless steels.

sal

Just sprinkle some Salt on everything...make everything available in LC200N in a Salt version. I have been absolutely blown away by this steel so far, so I think it's safe to say those non AFI types will be too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:56 am

sal

C'mon buddy you know you want to ;)

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
blues

Post by blues »

Well, Sal does mean Salt...perhaps you're on to something.
- Retired from the chase -
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lol, Sal is a cool guy. Certainly knows what he is doing.
Besides, it's his company.
Me, - I'm gonna want what I want lol. When I want it too! Lol!!
Like this topic, and the Province for example.
I can say what I wanna say and that's cool.
That being said, can we PLEASE get that Province out! :D
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

VG-10 probably isn't going to be on my wish list, but I'm sure I'll end up with a few flavors of this. An LC200N Salt would be a no brainer for me. K390 obviously. And ZDP-189 would be a must have as well (if you do ZDP run it hard like the ZDP Mule! 66hrc please :D )
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mac,

The Province is getting closer. More involved than it might seem.

On the LC200N, anything is possible.

salt :p
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

sal wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:17 pm
Hi Mac,

The Province is getting closer. More involved than it might seem.

On the LC200N, anything is possible.

salt :p
Awesome. Thanx Sal :)