I have lost...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

I have lost...

Post by ZMW »

2 lil spydies. K390 Urban and H1 SE DFLY. NOOOO!!!

I need to get a small spydie to replace them. I have an ikuchi but need a small EDC. I am thinking another Dfly2, PE H1. Any other good suggestions for a mid range LW user?

Maybe a Native LW, but that might be bigger then I am thinking for the lil spydie role
archangel

Re: I have lost...

Post by archangel »

Meerkat?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ZMW wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:19 pm

I need to get a small spydie to replace them. I have an ikuchi but need a small EDC. I am thinking another Dfly2, PE H1. Any other good suggestions for a mid range LW user?

Maybe a Native LW, but that might be bigger then I am thinking for the lil spydie role
Sorry that you lost the knives!!

Replacement: Chap FRN. Probably the best "bang for the buck" Spyderco imho. Closed package almost as short as a DFly (3.6" vs 3.33"), but a LOT more edge (2.35" vs 1.88"); Perfect, very slicey, thin bladestock (2mm), still very strong (I tested that, believe me...)

And: CTS XHP is an amazing steel...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Native 5 lw is a great knife. And it's available in the salt version now. I have the PE dragonfly in h1 and it's a good knife but I carry the native more. I usually break out the dragonfly when I go to the beach.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZMW wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:19 pm

It is so heartbreaking and gutwrenching to lose a Spyder or any other premium blade for that matter. I've been there and experienced that on more than one occasion and I feel your pain Brother. First off I would dive right into a Hawkbill/Dragonfly or go bigger into a Harpy. Then for a main EDC being you like smaller blades I would get a Para 3 with one of the supersteels.

Do keep us posted my Brother and I hope you find the ones you lost or recover the ones that might have been stolen if that is the case. When I found out what the guy sold my G-10 Harpy for after he stole it from me I could have committed murder I was so mad :mad: He literally sold that gem of a folder for about the price of a pack of his miserable, disgusting cigarettes :mad: I've been able to forgive a lot of people for the wrongs that they have done me in the past but that's been one that I just can't get out of my head.

So take heart Brother and we'll be pulling for you. ;) OH by the way you can't go wrong with any of the GOLDEN made NATIVE models :cool:
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Sorry for your loss ZMW :(

Have you considered the Lil Native? Seems to me this falls within your desired size parameters. Definitely one of the more robust "little knives".. very sturdy for such a tiny profile. Available in compression or back-lock. Solid choice all-around.

As Wartstein suggests, the Chap LW is another fantastic knife that is on the smaller side. Can't go wrong with another DF either though..

Good luck with your search!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Nothing against the Native, but as the OP himself implies: As an replacement for a DFly sized knife it´s quite "big" indeed. Both in length and thickness.
I personally also feel, that such a still-small-knife is better suited by a thinner bladestock, so, well, Chap FRN again... ;)

At least if had an Ikuchi sized knife already (like the OP does) and wanted a compared to that SMALL EDC additionally, the Native would not be my choice.

Just me, of course. And totally biased, cause the Chap is the only (for me) small knife I really like... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I have a local dealer I like, it sounds like a need to hold a Chap LW, Lil native, and the tried and true Dfly2 and see who wins. I forgot about those 2 options. Thanks Fellas
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Chap LW and PE Dfly Salt are my 2 small guys
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

See if you can find a HAP40 DragonFly
They are just flat out AWESOME.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

ZMW wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:13 pm
I have a local dealer I like, it sounds like a need to hold a Chap LW, Lil native, and the tried and true Dfly2 and see who wins. I forgot about those 2 options. Thanks Fellas
Hi ZMW - here are a few quick comparison shots..

All three are pretty similar in size. If you prefer a stouter blade, I'd go Lil Native.. it's definitely a sturdy knife for being so little. If you like a slice-ier knife, def go Chap LW. Realistically, all three are great choices.

I'm kind of embarrassed by the smudges on my Chap.. think it needs a cleaning..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if i had to replace my df2 salt, i'd probably go for the li'l native. i like a robust knife and the compression lock is fun. the chap is nice and i love xhp, but it's too long for me to take to work. we have stupid rules. also, the li'l native wasn't out yet when i got the df2 as my knife for work. i kind of wish it had been.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Did you like the Urban? Might be worth trying to pick up the coming sprint in AEB-L.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Zero contest, chap (but don’t lose it you will be sad).
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Rhino
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Compression lock Lil Native is what you want!
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Lil Native all day
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The Cat and Chicago are neat options in the $50-$60 range with the upgrade to BD1N. If you want something really inexpensive that will hurt your wallet even less if you lose it, the upcoming Insistent (mini Efficient) at $41 from the value line looks pretty interesting.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

sorry to hear that. i would get the meerkat and compression lil native to replace them. or cat in bd1n
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I hope you’ve only misplaced your DF2 and Urban.

Although I haven’t lost mine, I’m going for a Lil’ Native quite soon. I may even get one that locks, and, when it drops, the one that doesn’t.

Eric is sly and clearly saw something I didn’t at first glance.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”