Recommendations for custom dlc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knifenewb

Recommendations for custom dlc

Post by Knifenewb »

Hey everybody, only been into Spyderco for a few months, but I'm starting to pile up a small collection, 7 knives in 5 blade steels, and I'm looking at getting an Advocate and getting the blade coated for corrosion resistance. Now I know what everyone's thinking, "Let it patina," "Just wash it with soap and water once a week," etc. I'm fine with all of that, and I have a BHQ Native 5 M4 satin that's my work knife, to which I apply a coat of EDCi about once a week, and that's worked pretty well, not perfect. That's all well and good, but for something more premium, I want to be able to carry it when I want and not be forced to do maintenance just to keep corrosion away. Also I have three month old twin boys so my time is at a bit of a premium right now.

So long story short, anybody have any experience with getting blades custom coated, rough cost, longevity of the coating, would you recommend anyone? Thanks in advance!

Also, Sal, if you're reading this, more K390 and M4 production models are hard for me to say no to...
Tool steels are better than stainless steels, fight me.