s90v SHAMAN IS OUT

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: s90v SHAMAN IS OUT

Post by sal »

Hi Stoby,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
SalomonA

Post by SalomonA »

Let me say that I love the look, feel in the hand, and weight of this beautiful knife, as well as the steel. I just feel like it is not near as smooth as my other compression lock spydies, such as my cf yojimbo, para 2, and sliverax, which all free fall down and flick open with ease. This CF Shaman still flicks open if I do it hard enough, but there is a lot of resistance in the action, especially near the top bit. Is this typical of all shamans? I've been playing with it for two days straight, and it's showing no signs of smoothing up. At this point, I may end up selling it to get my money back, as I would rather carry a buttery smooth sliverax than the beefy shaman that has a rough action. Again, don't get me wrong, I love the size, looks, and materials of the blade, I just wish that a knife of this size could be made to pivot a whole lot smoother, as the action is a knife killer for me
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

SalomonA wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:21 pm
Let me say that I love the look, feel in the hand, and weight of this beautiful knife, as well as the steel. I just feel like it is not near as smooth as my other compression lock spydies, such as my cf yojimbo, para 2, and sliverax, which all free fall down and flick open with ease. This CF Shaman still flicks open if I do it hard enough, but there is a lot of resistance in the action, especially near the top bit. Is this typical of all shamans? I've been playing with it for two days straight, and it's showing no signs of smoothing up. At this point, I may end up selling it to get my money back, as I would rather carry a buttery smooth sliverax than the beefy shaman that has a rough action. Again, don't get me wrong, I love the size, looks, and materials of the blade, I just wish that a knife of this size could be made to pivot a whole lot smoother, as the action is a knife killer for me
My action is exactly how this sample is working at 4:26 in video! The compression lock needs to be pushed all the way over to get the detent ball up on the tang...so the blade drops freely. https://youtu.be/jKURYlu8eIs

That being said....the Shaman is a beefy working knife that has large phosphorus bronze washers! I don't think the action is going to compare to ball bearing comp locks like the Sliverax or Amalgam! Maybe a micro pivot adjustment? Good luck and I hope it works out for you .

James
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Washer knives will definitely smooth out once they're broken in. I'd say give it some time, keep using it.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
stoby22

Post by stoby22 »

sal wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:31 pm
Hi Stoby,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you Sal! Knife will be here Saturday! Cant wait!
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

SalomonA wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:21 pm

Little drop of lube to the pivot and detent. Smooth as my pm2's. No torx were required. Hopefully it warms up to you.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

New to forum.

I pre-ordered this on 5/21 from knifecenter. It still shows as pre-order. But I’m looking at the release thread and it says the Shaman CF was already released.

I see people posting KC has a “reputation”. I don’t know what that is. Other sites are showing sold out. Did anyone here order from KC and get there’s? Or is there still chance KC will come thru?

Thx
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SLOSpyder,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

sal wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:00 pm
Hi SLOSpyder,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you Sal.

It’s a humble honor for the personal acknowledgement.

I still remember walking into the local sporting goods store intent on buying my first knife not given to me by my father. I went to the counter looking into the case for the perfect knife. There it was; a smaller serrated blade. Knife was smaller than those around it. But the full stainless steel glowing in the case light was calling to me. 20+ years later, I still have that ATS-55 SS Delica. I came back and picked up one or two Spyders over the last 5-7 years. But the Para 3 brought me back for good and replaced the Delica in my pocket. Since then I realized what I’ve been missing. Now I’m at around 20 Spyders. I can’t say anything but the best about this company to my peers.

Here’s to hoping my Shaman CF comes thru!
Nate

Post by Nate »

SLOSpyder wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:23 pm
...I see people posting KC has a “reputation”. I don’t know what that is. Other sites are showing sold out. Did anyone here order from KC and get there’s? Or is there still chance KC will come thru?

Thx

Welcome to the forum.

In the past, KC has oversold pre-orders and ended up not getting enough stock, so some orders ended up being canceled. I've never had that issue and don't recall the exact details, my many pre-orders with them have been fulfilled. (Maybe around the time of the light gray Cruwear Military sprint?)

I've not heard of this happening with them for several years and I don't imagine it was intentional, but understandably if you had a pre-order on a must have sprint and KC canceled your order after it was sold out everywhere else, you'd probably have a long memory about it...
:spyder:
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

In stock at both GP & Knifejoy!
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

This Shaman Sprint is one of the most well-finished Spydies I've received in the last couple of years. No flaws to the touch (nor with a 10x Loupe!) and it opens and closes with smoothness and finality. Ker-snack. Great choice of smooth texture to the CF scales. The ergos of the countours and profile, make for certainty of grasp. If the scales were not *made* for my hand, then my hand automatically melds to this grip, as it feels a natural extension of my paw. Gratzi, S. Glesser.

Here are a few quick bundled cell pix of recently arrived Shaman Sprint, BBS Delica M390, Native Chief, LadyBug Pakkawood HAP40, and the DLT 20CV DLC PM2.

Haven't seen many posts/pics of the NC, BBS, nor LB PW. I'll try to get some better daylight photos of these, before they head out as graduation gifts. (The Shaman is not for a grad per se, but an in-law finishing law clerkship with a US District judge. Knife rights, hehe)

please forgive the html block crossing threads

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You are blowing like 15 threads up with these same pics...we get it bud
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:49 pm
You are blowing like 15 threads up with these same pics...we get it bud

Was thinking the same thing. Guess the reactions arent good enough? Nice knives and all they just dont speak to me. Nor the pics really.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Aww come on give him a break, I like the pics :D that Shaman is giving me SERIOUS FOMO. I almost bought one this afternoon. I reminded myself that I already have two Shamans and I can only buy one knife this month, so I bought the Chief instead. Still looking at those Shaman pics make me sweat a little. Maybe they'll still be a few left next month 🤞
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:45 pm
This Shaman Sprint is one of the most well-finished Spydies I've received in the last couple of years. No flaws to the touch (nor with a 10x Loupe!) and it opens and closes with smoothness and finality. Ker-snack. Great choice of smooth texture to the CF scales. The ergos of the countours and profile, make for certainty of grasp. If the scales were not *made* for my hand, then my hand automatically melds to this grip, as it feels a natural extension of my paw. Gratzi, S. Glesser.
Congratulations on the Shaman! I definitely think it's up there in the top 10 best knives to come out of Golden , For me personally!

James
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:45 pm
Thank you for the pictures man! I'm jealous of that lovely collection of the latest and greatest :D enjoy!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Got the CF shaman in. It's as nice as the 40th anniversary native!
d3Y11PM.jpg
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Just picked one up on ebay from whitemountainknives. I received a promotion for 13% back in ebay bucks which comes out to $36. That made it a no brainer for me.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That is a sharp looking knife.