Least liked thing about a favored Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Least liked thing about a favored Spydie

Post by steelcity16 »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:38 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:24 am
No Spydie is perfect. Compromises have been made in its design and execution.

What do you overlook or forgive in a favored Spydie just because most everything else about it is what you want a folder to be?

For example, I love my Caribbean, but I hate reaching for the choil that isn’t there. :eek:

This so funny, because I saw the thread title and clicked on it to state essentially the opposite.

I love my Manix 2 and PM2 in spite of their choils. I don’t have a Caribbean yet, but it is top of my list.

I agree. Once I got the Tenacious I remembered what a choil-less knife could be like and now I am looking at getting a Polestar and Alcyone to try. I love everything about the Tenacious except the lack of higher end steels and the lack of true DLC option. The Caribbean would already be in my possession if it had normal peel ply G10 scales. Holding out hope that we will see a blacked out version with the standard ungrooved coarse texture Peel Ply G10.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Big50

Post by Big50 »

Spyderco Southard: Perhaps my favorite knife ever! It bothers me that it has paper thin washers for bearing races! My sample still functions well, but I can’t help but think the washers are a time bomb.

I love everything else about the knife. Yes, that includes the clip, asymmetric scales, and other quirks!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Then there is the Chaparral LW. Absoutely perfect in every aspect. Cannot think of ANYTHING that could be improved here. Again, just perfect for what it is (a really small folder), and also perfectly executed. When it comes to this, even "more perfect" for me, than Stretch 1 and Endura
But: Still not my FAVORITE knife. REALLY like it, but Stretch and Endura even more, no doubt (main reason is the size of course).

I am with you here. Out of every Spyderco I have ever had pass through my hands, I believe the Chaparral LW is the most perfectly executed knife. There is literally nothing I could nitpick about the design. Zero, zilch, nada. It is smooth as glass, perfect blade shape, thickness, great steel, nice FRN color, great FRN texture, perfect deep carry wire clip, great steel, etc, etc. The only problem is that there is only one version! :( I need an LC200N Salt version!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Then there is the Chaparral LW. Absoutely perfect in every aspect. Cannot think of ANYTHING that could be improved here. Again, just perfect for what it is (a really small folder), and also perfectly executed. When it comes to this, even "more perfect" for me, than Stretch 1 and Endura
But: Still not my FAVORITE knife. REALLY like it, but Stretch and Endura even more, no doubt (main reason is the size of course).

I am with you here. Out of every Spyderco I have ever had pass through my hands, I believe the Chaparral LW is the most perfectly executed knife. There is literally nothing I could nitpick about the design. Zero, zilch, nada. It is smooth as glass, perfect blade shape, thickness, great steel, nice FRN color, great FRN texture, perfect deep carry wire clip, great steel, etc, etc. The only problem is that there is only one version! :( I need an LC200N Salt version!
Your description could be my words, just better said by you... ;)

On the steel: I am afraid you won't get lucky, as the Chap is meant to be the knife to display different HANDLEmaterials- and not steels... that said: Did you ever keep, carry and use a Chap? CTS HXP is amazing, really, for my limited steel experience it feels like a better S30V (and I really like S30V!).

But maybe if more people would just give the Chap a try, maybe even as an alternative to Delica or DFly (yes, for me the Chap covers the "realms" of both these other knives), I am sure many more would love it and ask for more steel options. Personally I am 100% happy with CTS HXP though.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:11 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Your description could be my words, just better said by you... ;)

On the steel: I am afraid you won't get lucky, as the Chap is meant to be the knife to display different HANDLEmaterials- and not steels... that said: Did you ever keep, carry and use a Chap? CTS HXP is amazing, really, for my limited steel experience it feels like a better S30V (and I really like S30V!).

But maybe if more people would just give the Chap a try, maybe even as an alternative to Delica or DFly (yes, for me the Chap covers the "realms" of both these other knives), I am sure many more would love it and ask for more steel options. Personally I am 100% happy with CTS HXP though.

I do own and carry the Chap LW often. I just like to have a few versions of each of my favorite designs! :D I do understand about the Chap being meant to showcase the scale material, but there is a quote floating around here somewhere where Sal said that the Chap LW and Sage LW could be used for different steels and FRN colors, so here is to hoping! I am looking forward to the Sage LW as well and it will be a day 1 buy for me!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

My least liked thing about my favorite Spyderco? I hate that I don't have two of them 🤣

Joking aside, I wish the Hawkbill Dragonfly came in a color other than yellow, I wish there was a Plain Edge ZDP-189 or K390 version, and I wish it was linerless G-10 or CF. :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

To be straight forward, here is one: I love the Tasman Salt but the apparent thinness of the tip sometimes scares me that it will snap or bend.

The larger hawkbills do not have that same fear factor.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sharpening choil on the Kiwi is annoying because it snags occasionally when opening mail. Boye dent on the Stretch and Jester is esthetically unappealing, as is the clip that leaves unsightly channels in the handle when removed (and shape of lock well, if I really want to nit pick) on the Chaparral. Boye dent, sharpening choil, and clip that's impossible to remove without totally disfiguring the knife on the Kopa.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:14 am
Sharpening choil on the Kiwi is annoying because it snags occasionally when opening mail. Boye dent on the Stretch and Jester is esthetically unappealing, as is the clip that leaves unsightly channels in the handle when removed (and shape of lock well, if I really want to nit pick) on the Chaparral. Boye dent, sharpening choil, and clip that's impossible to remove without totally disfiguring the knife on the Kopa.
I don't quite comprehend: You don't like a boye dent in a backlock, but also don't like the shape of the (back-)lock on the Chap, which has NO boyedent?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the overall design and features of the Military. The one thing I do not care for is the liner lock. If it were a back lock or a CBBL, it could be the only medium to big knife I would want to own. As it is, I will go with the P4 and NC, instead.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:58 am
The Deacon wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:14 am
I don't quite comprehend: You don't like a boye dent in a backlock, but also don't like the shape of the (back-)lock on the Chap, which has NO boyedent?

Yes, that's correct. I don't like the Boye dent for several reasons. For one, it's just plain ugly. When has a "dent" ever been considered a good thing? Beyond that, I find the claims made for it to be puzzling. If it's a general safety feature, or an aid to finding the lock without looking, why not have it on all midlocks? If it's mostly for combative use, why have it on knives like the Kopa, Ladybug, and Jester, but not on the original Manix? Finally, and perhaps most importantly, it makes closing some knives difficult and painful for me, because one or more of the pointed "corners" of the dent press into the arthritic knuckle of my thumb. Much as I love the looks of the Schempp Persian, I cannot carry one for that reason.

As for the Chaparral, I just think a round lock well, like the Kiwis, looks nicer than the Chaparral's squared off one. Chalk it up to beauty being in the eye of the beholder.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Manix 2 LW:
The spring on the ball bearing lock is excessively strong. I would adjust it, but the bloody knife is riveted together!!!

Otherwise, the knife is very nice. But I don't think I would buy it again knowing what I do now.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:59 pm
I'd like if the Lil Temp 3 was able to drop shut like a PM2 (or other Golden compression locks). Has anyone with a Lil Temp 3 been able to do it without significant blade play? I haven't seen it done. Seems to just be how Seki City makes the compression lock. It's definitely smooth, but you need a significant shake to drop the blade when you disengage the lock, no matter how much you loosen the pivot. It's still a great knife with a good action.
My Lil Temp 3 is how you describe above.. super smooth action, but will not drop shut. It would be nice if the blade would drop shut, but I don't really mind that it doesn't, and haven't made any pivot adjustments yet to try to get it to because the lock-up on it is rock-solid as is.. I wouldn't sacrifice this for added "drop-shut-ability."

You're absolutely right.. it is a great knife! I got mine a month or two ago and it very quickly became one of my all time favorites!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:39 am
To be straight forward, here is one: I love the Tasman Salt but the apparent thinness of the tip sometimes scares me that it will snap or bend.

H1 is pretty robust. There was something a long time ago where someone bent an H1 blade in half, and then bent it back with no ill effects. If it bends, bend it back. I doubt you will break a tip on an H1 knife during normal or even hard use. It is truly amazing stuff!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:36 am
I love the overall design and features of the Military. The one thing I do not care for is the liner lock. If it were a back lock or a CBBL, it could be the only medium to big knife I would want to own. As it is, I will go with the P4 and NC, instead.

What don't you like about the liner lock? Curious why so many people are against it as I really like it for ease of gloved opening and easy one hand closing. The fidget factor is even there for me. I don't really see anything to not like.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:49 am
Manix 2 LW:
The spring on the ball bearing lock is excessively strong. I would adjust it, but the bloody knife is riveted together!!!

Otherwise, the knife is very nice. But I don't think I would buy it again knowing what I do now.

It should break in with use and repeated opening/closing. I'm with you on the pinned construction though. Moving to screws on the Manix LW would be great. Especially if they even make a Salt version.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:17 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:39 am

H1 is pretty robust. There was something a long time ago where someone bent an H1 blade in half, and then bent it back with no ill effects. If it bends, bend it back. I doubt you will break a tip on an H1 knife during normal or even hard use. It is truly amazing stuff!
Thank you, this is very comforting and assuring to know!

Do you think a drop-point type H1 blade even at 2.5 mm thickness is probably a very robust and durable knife, and for everyday cutting uses, from making sandwiches to cutting down cardboard boxes, it will hold up quite well?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Although this thread seems to have caused a good many here to rag on different models and trends, I’ll continue it—as I had intended it—by saying:

My S30V Shaman’s blade-finish is not the mirror-like one I prefer, and its contoured-handle is not the grippy one I prefer. Nevertheless, this knife is simply a winner.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 am

My S30V Shaman’s blade-finish is not the mirror-like one I prefer, and its contoured-handle is not the grippy one I prefer. Nevertheless, this knife is simply a winner.
Agree on the "winner"-part, but also really like the stonewashed finish and especially the smooth contoured handle... ;)

Hope, YOUR perfect Shaman will be released some day not too far away!
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri May 17, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:45 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 am

Agree on the "winner"-part, but also really like the stonewashed finish and especially the smooth contoured handle... ;)

Hope, YOUR perfect Shaman will be released some day not to far away!
:)
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”