Least liked thing about a favored Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Re: Least liked thing about a favored Spydie

Post by cycleguy »

I like the Delica 4. I don't find any issues with it. Guess that is why I like it ... no compromises!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Police 4 is my favorite folder. Can't carry it this time of year without rusting the blade, lock and liners though.

Manix XL is another favorite. The thing I hate about it is all that handle jimping is completely unnecessary given the knifes extremely secure handle with deep flares on either end. Would also be nice to see it run in more than two steels each decade.

The Pacific Salt rounds out my top three folding Spydercos. It gets old grinding down the blunt tip into a proper knife tip. But that's a pretty easy fix all things considered.
Last edited by vivi on Thu May 16, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 pm
Police 4 is my favorite folder. Can't carry it this time of year without rusting the blade, lock and liners though.

Police lw will fix this of course... (I am sure that´s one of the reasons for your signature ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

The little bit of vertical blade play in my V-Toku 2 Stretch 2 is very slight but it detracts from a nearly perfect knife.

The bi-directional texturing of the FRN on my Native Salt is much too aggressive for me. I get why it is this way for a Salt series knife, but it not only chews pockets, but is a PIA to clip and unclip. I have sanded the FRN some and will probably do more and have considered bending the clip, but hesitate on that. The FRN on my Stretch doesn't have the same issue at all.

Hard to find a complaint about the SpydieChef!
Last edited by Enactive on Thu May 16, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Usually the clips. For right side carry they are in my palm when I use the knife. Either the clip itself bothers me during use or the screw heads. Not a huge problem but that's something with most knives with a clip and not exclusive to spyderco. I prefer it to digging in my pocket for a knife though.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Purely aesthetic; seeking a more symmetrical look.

Wish the blade on the PM2 would be longer. Ditch the lanyard tube and put in a longer blade.
Peter
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Para 3 clip location. They should move it to the location on the LW as a CQI change to the g-10 versions.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Military is my favourite folder.

The only thing I don’t like are black clips on knives with satin finished blades like the DigiCam Military which looks like a poxy after thought. :eek:

Luckily fine glass blasting fixes it quick smart. :)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:24 am
No Spydie is perfect. Compromises have been made in its design and execution.

What do you overlook or forgive in a favored Spydie just because most everything else about it is what you want a folder to be?

For example, I love my Caribbean, but I hate reaching for the choil that isn’t there. :eek:
Overall, I do not like leaf shaped blades, and I am very grateful that Sal and Eric make other knives so as to differentiate the lineup. I have one leaf shape blade, a Native 5 in Maxamet, and it is one of my best knives.

Spyderco is unquestionably the #1 leader in steels, and I think they are in the top 5 for a manufacturer. If I could do one thing it would be to release more knives in conventional shapes. For example, I'd like to see the Street Beat in M390, and Street Bowie in 3V or 4V, both at a respectably high HRC.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
attila

Post by attila »

My Rex 45 Military has a bit of blade movement when closed because the detent ball is smaller than the closed detent hole.

Manix LWs should not be pinned.

Both of my Caly 3s have considerable vertical blade play when locked open (Moki-made knives, I think).

Most, if not all, of my Seki City knives have vertical blade play when locked open.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Vertical blade play on backlocks.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

The Military is a sweet knife that I have bought many of. The tip down only clip is killing me, I prefer tip up because every other knife carries tip up. When the Millie is in my pocket, the jimping of the thumb ramp is always there to scrape my palm when grabbing stuff (some people say to carry the Millie in right rear pocket, no thanks that's where my wallet lives).
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Bloke wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:58 pm
The Military is my favourite folder.

The only thing I don’t like are black clips on knives with satin finished blades like the DigiCam Military which looks like a poxy after thought. :eek:

Ooohh, yeah, that reminds me. I can't stand the uncoated liners, standoffs, tubes, etc on the DLC Military, PM2, Para 3, Shaman, etc. It bothers me so much when the screws and all of the other stuff is coated but not the liners. I MUCH prefer when every single piece of hardware, including the liners, are coated like on the DLC Manix and DLC Native.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Delica saber needs to be ground higher, plain and simple, and the Mantra needs a choil or ricasso. I keep putting my finger there. Too much edge anyway. I may grind a choil someday.
- best wishes, Jazz.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

I think my biggest compromise would be the blade stock thickness on the PM2. I love the knife in nearly every other aspect, so I put up with the thick blade, and it just makes be kinda frown when it hangs up because of its thickness. And I get it in my head that I should take it to the stones and grind it down. I really prefer thin slicey blades. But it's just so nice in every other way.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

The only things I don't like about my favorite Spyderco.
1st - Tall blade.
Distant 2nd - Blade width.
Distant 3rd - Blade steel.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:24 am
No Spydie is perfect. Compromises have been made in its design and execution.

What do you overlook or forgive in a favored Spydie just because most everything else about it is what you want a folder to be?

For example, I love my Caribbean, but I hate reaching for the choil that isn’t there. :eek:
This so funny, because I saw the thread title and clicked on it to state essentially the opposite.

I love my Manix 2 and PM2 in spite of their choils. I don’t have a Caribbean yet, but it is top of my list.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Vivi wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 pm
Have you considered getting it DLC'd after market? I was actually thinking about doing that with mine.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:30 pm
Clip placement and or clip type
+1
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I still want an orginal ATR style titanium integral compression lock on an R or Domino style & size knife, with a Vanax blade. On that theme, I'd love a Sage 2 with an LC200N or Vanax blade. I wish the handle on the SpydieChef was just a bit longer. I wish the cutout in the handle to access the opening hole was a bit bigger on the 'Chef.