Least liked thing about a favored Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Least liked thing about a favored Spydie

Post by wrdwrght »

No Spydie is perfect. Compromises have been made in its design and execution.

What do you overlook or forgive in a favored Spydie just because most everything else about it is what you want a folder to be?

For example, I love my Caribbean, but I hate reaching for the choil that isn’t there. :eek:
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu May 16, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
BornIn1500

Re: Least liked thing about your best Spydie(s)

Post by BornIn1500 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:24 am
I love my Caribbean, but I hate reaching for the choil that isn’t there. :eek:
I don't understand this. The finger guard is right up against the edge of the blade and your finger is just as close as any finger choil could possibly be on those models. I assume it's just habit? Now it kind of makes sense that people ask for finger choils. Not because it's necessary or beneficial, but because it's simply what they're used to. And it makes sense for Spyderco to keep doing it because by making people dependent on choils, it probably stops people from buying many other brands. Kind of genius marketing using human psychology.
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Thu May 16, 2019 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Least liked thing about a favored Spydie

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My favorite knife is the Military but my least favorite lock is the liner lock. It is still my favorite knife. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Re: Least liked thing about your best Spydie(s)

Post by steelcity16 »

least liked design features on knives from my collection:

military - no tip up carry option
native lw - would prefer wire clip
manix lw - pinned construction
para 3 - clip placement

knives in my collection I consider perfect:

dragonfly
chap lw
linerless g10 native
manix 2
tenacious
para 3 lw
pacific salt
spyderhawk

and then there are a few knives I am wanting, but have reservations due to scales or lack of jimping. give me flat slab coarse texture peel ply g10 scales and aggressive jimping and I am all over all 4 of these

lil native - lack of spine and choil jimping
caribbean - bumblebee scales
shaman - smooth, contoured G10
manix backlock - fine g10 texturing
Last edited by steelcity16 on Thu May 16, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

My caribbean has slight but noticable horizontal blade play, but is still my favorite knife. I’m planning to take it to the sfo next time I’m in denver to see if it can be fixed. If not, it’s still an amazing knife.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I could do without the oval thing in the middle of the Caribbean handle. I dislike that more than the color scheme.

I can't really think of much else unless this just turns into a general "how I'd make it better" topic. I'm super picky so the knives I own have passed scrutiny already.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

PM2 - Spydie-hole is a bit too large. Prefer the size on the Gayle Bradley II, Advocate, Yojimbo 2.
Advocate - excessively long flipper tab; handle shape is blob-ish; orange peel texture looks dirty.
Yojimbo 2 - big blade hump.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Lack of jimping on my Yojimbo 2 always puzzles me for a second or so when I grab it. (Yes, I know the sage Mr Janich doesn't do jimping so that's why I use the word 'puzzled')

The 'extra' jimping in on the Manix 2's liners at the rear also puzzles me- especially when they are no corresponding slots in the G10.

The Native 5 Lightweight having a completely different clip hole layout to all the others frustrates me.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:24 am

For example, I love my Caribbean, but I hate reaching for the choil that isn’t there. :eek:
It's really not a problem to choke up on the actual edge of a no-choil-knife, and I wonder why most people seem to not get or believe this (not meant as an offense, don't get me wrong!)

I do this all the time, and while performing tasks I'd use a finger choil otherwise, but in the "no choil scenario" putting my index finger right where the cutting edge is already, I never, ever did hurt myself.
Now you may think my blades are not sharp maybe. But while I am not aiming for hair-whittling-sharpness, my knives are most times shaving sharp at least.

It's even not much more uncomfortable than using a dedicated choil. Most times I do it like this: Index finger on the edge, but also pressing back against the front side of the handle/guard. Thumb pressed on the side of the blade. Very secure and very powerfull grip, believe me...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Lack of a deep-carry pocket clip/aftermarket deep-carry pocket clip options for the Lil Temperance 3.

I've always preferred a deeper carry and typically add aftermarket deep-carry clips to most of my knives.. so far, I have not been able to find one for the LT3 and I understand that I probably won't due to the specialized fit needed for the indexing divot and the non-standard three-hole pattern.. regardless, this has been one of my most carried knives since I got it. The ergonomics are perfection in my hand and I absolutely love everything else about the design.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Interesting question. If I take it literally, so like in: "What is the LEAST liked, but generally STILL VERY much liked feature on your favorite models IF you HAD to name one":

Stretch 1: Perfect ergos, but maybe the part of the handle where index and middle finger rest could be just a BIT thicker (or taller/more handfilling) in relation to the rear part of the handle..

Endura 4: Absolutely love it, but maybe: Make it with no Ricasso at all, but edge all the way back to the handle (as far as technically possible in a backlock-knife). And if that is done, maybe make the whole knife a tiny bit shorter, so that the actual EDGE (now going all the way back to the handle) has the same length as in the current model, but BLADE and handle are a tad shorter.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:50 am
I can't really think of much else unless this just turns into a general "how I'd make it better" topic. I'm super picky so the knives I own have passed scrutiny already.
Yeah. What I was aiming at was how we make peace with things that niggle at us.

Delicas and Enduras have that unsightly gap between blade and handle. Now I say, so what, it lets other good things happen in the knife.

And they have a notch in place of a choil. Now I see the notch as doing the job of a choil—just as well if not better—without sacrificing as much edge-length.

Like I said, making peace.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu May 16, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Clip placement and or clip type
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Also.. the !@#$% liner-lock on the GB2. I understand the safety-minded design philosophy behind not having a cutout to access the lock.. but the GB2 has become one of my least carried knives, simply because I find it to be such a PITA to close compared with the others. It's a shame really, because it is a gorgeous design that I really like otherwise..

Interesting thread idea wrdwrght.. I'm sure it will highlight the inherent subjectivity of our collecting habits. One of the many reasons I love Spyderco.. everybody has different preferences and there is something for everybody.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I'd like if the Lil Temp 3 was able to drop shut like a PM2 (or other Golden compression locks). Has anyone with a Lil Temp 3 been able to do it without significant blade play? I haven't seen it done. Seems to just be how Seki City makes the compression lock. It's definitely smooth, but you need a significant shake to drop the blade when you disengage the lock, no matter how much you loosen the pivot. It's still a great knife with a good action.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my favorite knife (not just spyderco) is my manix 2 lw in xhp. it fits my hand perfectly and rides wonderfully in the pocket. it’s perfect in every way, except the stupid pins. it needs screws or lc200n.

my second favorite is the pacific salt. it’s pretty much a perfect knife for what it is, but the handle ergonomics aren’t my favorite. it’s a small gripe though.

finally, the yojimbo 2... i don’t find it all that comfortable in my hand and it doesn’t ride nicely in the pocket compared to the manix. however, it’s such a cool looking knife and it’s a wonderful design for its intended purpose. it’s really a piece of art and i carry it all the time.

actually, i ranked these, but i don’t really favor one over the others. if i had to choose only one, it would be the manix because i think it’s a better all-around edc blade and it’s the most comfortable to use, but it would be really hard to give any of them up. and, if i could only have one knife, i would probably choose my native salt. it’s a little smaller than i like and i don’t like the small hook at the end of the grip, but it’s got similar ergonomics to the manix and the ability to take it in the water, which is important to me in my environment.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

PM2 - cutting edge. Would much prefer a smaller finger choil, or no finger choil at all, and just a small sharpening choil.
Military - liner lock. It doesn't really bother me that much since its one of the best liner locks ever made, but I still would love to have the easy free-falling closing action of a compression lock.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Price! There are so many I need!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

My Sage 5...the blade just doesn't free swing like my para 3 or manix 2s do. It is very smooth however, and a little wrist flick is all that's needed to swing the blade, so not the end of the world! I need to disassemble it and clean it and possibly polish the washers a bit if they need it, might help. Or just more use maybe!

And my persistence isn't as smooth as my Tenacious. But then again my Tenacious has seen a LOT of use and openings, so I know it will break in in time! Other than that I have no complaints.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This thread actually made me think about, if the for me most PEREFCT Spyderco also is my most FAVORED one... and it definitely is NOT, which is interesting...

In my first post in this thread I already stated, that my two favorites are Stretch 1 and Endura 4. I really like everything in both of these knives, but STILL I can at least rank the features I like, and give examples for the "least really liked" aspects, that maybe could even be improved by a tiny bit (would have to try this fictive "improvements" in real life to verify).

Then there is the Chaparral LW. Absoutely perfect in every aspect. Cannot think of ANYTHING that could be improved here. Again, just perfect for what it is (a really small folder), and also perfectly executed. When it comes to this, even "more perfect" for me, than Stretch 1 and Endura
But: Still not my FAVORITE knife. REALLY like it, but Stretch and Endura even more, no doubt (main reason is the size of course).
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu May 16, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.