Is Spyderco stone only one that is not worn?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sharpco

Is Spyderco stone only one that is not worn?

Post by sharpco »

As you know, Spyderco ceramic stone is show little or no wear over time(Fine & Ultra Fine). I looked for another stone similar to that but I couldn't.

Is Spyderco stone only one that is not worn? How about Chosera or Sharpton Glass stone?
Cambertree

Re: Is Spyderco stone only one that is not worn?

Post by Cambertree »

The Choseras are designed to wear, both to continually release fresh alumina abrasive at the surface, when dressed with a nagura stone, and to give the proper 'feedback' feel, similar to a natural stone, that they are renowned for.

I don't have any Shapton Glass stones, but I have an earlier 5000 grit Shapton Ceramic, and it seems to exhibit very minimal wear. It doesn't feel quite as hard as the Spyderco F and UF ceramic however.

The bonded monocrystalline diamond stones by Venev also exhibit fairly minimal wear.

I don't have any, but the Naniwa Diamond, and bonded CBN stones from BBB also apparently wear very slowly.

I think all stones will wear to some extent, it's just that the hard white Spyderco ceramic wears so slowly, it's almost imperceptible over years.

If they didn't wear at all, they wouldn't break in, or develop a slightly smoother surface over time as they do.
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

I have both chosera, naniwa pro, Shapton glass and Shapton pro. They all wear
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Spyderco fine and ultra fine ceramics as mentioned don’t seem to wear at any perceivable rate.

I don’t have any Shapton Glass stones so can’t comment on how they may wear. The Shapton Pros I have which I don’t use very often seem to wear very slowly and I’ve found the finer grits in particular quite stubborn to dress/flatten with loose grit SiC compared to other stones and I put down to the bonding agent used.

I think stones to some extent are designed to “wear” and expose fresh, new, sharp grit and ultimately how we use them with regard to pressure applied, lubricant used etc. will determine how fast that happens. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

We’re talking friability here, right? Everything is friable, eventually. The wonder of the white stuff is that its friability is so imperceptible as to seem not friable.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu May 16, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've never yet ever had to change out or replace any of my Spyderco FINE or ULTRA-FINE stones. Now I have replaced two sets of Medium/gray stones for my 204 Sharpmaker in the past 10 to 12 years but do keep in mind that I use at least one of my two 204 Sharpmaker units almost daily for some kind of touch ups or complete sharpening. Now I also have two sets of Spyderco's 302 Benchstones including the Fine, Ultra-Fine and Medium. I've used those stones quite a bit but up till now I've not yet had to change out any of those.

Also I've never worn out one of my Medium/gray stones on my 701 Profile kits. I haven't checked to see if my 302 Medium Benchstones may have dished out a bit yet and maybe I need to. But they perform so well I just haven't noticed any significant wear.

Also I've never had any Arkansas Stones ( novaculite) I've owned ever dish out on me. Really other than those Medium/Gray stones of Spyderco's that I used almost daily for months on end I've not had any of Spyderco's other stones ever wear out on me.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I remember reading somewhere that sintered ceramic stones can blunt because they don't release grit when used to sharpen vanadium rich steels. Has this actually happened?