HRC Database

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: HRC Database

Post by ZrowsN1s »

BD1N Para3 lw @60 HRC courtesy of Larrin at knife steel nerds via BBB.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

NEW Numbers! From the great Alchemy1 on Instagram (please check out his page). He actually took pics of these being tested.

S30V Delica @ 59HRC
Superblue Calypso Jr. @ 61HRC
Cruwear PM2 @ 62HRC
M4 Shaman @ 64HRC
And two different REX45 PM2's @ 66.7 :eek:

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Very interested in what the M390 Delica clocks in at. Hopefully someone tests theirs next week.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I left a message for Alchemy_1 on Instagram. I hope that he sees it.

I'd like to see as many brands and knifes run for HRC as possible. Let sort the wheat from the chaff. I have faith in Spyderco to keep their numbers solid, they may be the only one. Lets test them all and let the chips fall where they may.

I may have some knives to sell! :cool:
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
jcoolG19

Post by jcoolG19 »

Spyderco keeps the testing interesting. Btw, if you see a pic of a Wilson tester and it has that green and white calibration sticker on it, it's my testing. To date, I have tested about 250ish knives, maybe more. I lost count months ago. When I get a chance, I'll get a list of the Spyderco knives I've done and post them here. A lot of those numbers posted look pretty familiar already.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Please add Jcool/Kurt to the OP. Most of these numbers come from him. Thanks for all your work Kurt.

Thanks also to
Luvthemknives
Bladebanter
Supersteelsteve
Banter247
Outpost76

The majority of these numbers are thanks to these YouTubers sending knives to Kurt to have tested.
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 pm
We already have the great Behind the Edge Database (which can be found here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73097)

I propose we start a HRC database and list all of the known Hardness testing results we can. So if you have any HRC results for any of the Spyderco models please share them here and I'll try to keep a List on this page :spyder:
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Keep in mind these are approximate numbers not exact numbers. Corrections and additions are always welcome :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
:spyder:

MAXAMET Mule - (67-68) HRC
REX45 Military - (66.5 -67) HRC
REX45 Paramilitary 2 - (65 -66.7) HRC
ZDP-189 Mule - 66.4 HRC
MAXAMET Manix 2 LW - 66.2 HRC
REX45 Para 3 - 65.7 HRC
K390 Police 4 G-10 - (64 -65.5) HRC
4V Para 3 (St. Nicks Exclusive) - 65 HRC
ZDP-189 Endura 4 - (63 -65) HRC
M4 Shaman - 64 HRC
ZDP-189 Delica 4 (Saber) - (63.5 - 64) HRC
S110V Military - (63-64) HRC
K390 Mule - (62-64) HRC
52100 Mule - 63.1 HRC
10V K2 - 63 HRC
B75P Mule - (62-63) HRC
52100 Paramilitary 2 - 62.8 HRC
Cruwear Paramilitary 2 - (62.5 - 62.8) HRC
Cruwear Mule (re-release) - (62.1 -62.8) HRC
Super Blue Mule - 62.5 HRC
M4 Mule - 62.5 HRC
M4 Gayle-Bradley 1 - 62.5 HRC
K390 Urban - 62.5 HRC
S110V Manix 2 - 62 HRC
XHP Chaparral FRN - 62 HRC
Cruwear Paramilitary 2 - 62 HRC
Cruwear Para 3 - 61.7 HRC
XHP Para 3 - 61.5 HRC
Cruwear Military - 61.1 HRC
Super Blue Calypso Jr. - 61 HRC
M390 Military - 61 HRC
S110V Paramilitary 2 - 60.9 HRC
S30V Amalgam - 60.7 HRC
M390 Mule - 60.5 HRC
XHP Military - 60.5 HRC
XHP Mule - 60.3 RC
BD1N Para 3 LW - 60 HRC
S110V Mule - 60 HRC
S90V Military - 60 HRC
S30V Manix 2 (Backlock) - 60 HRC
S30V Military - 60 HRC
S35VN Native 5 LW - 60 RC
S90V Manix 2 - 59.9 HRC
M390 Para 3 - 59.6 HRC
S35VN Para 3 - (59- 59.6) HRC
S90V Mule - 59.2 HRC
S30V Paramilitary 2 - 59 HRC
S30V Delica - 59 HRC
ELMAX Mule - (58.3 -58.5) HRC
VG-10 Endura - 57.9 HRC

:spyder:
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

jcoolG19 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:07 pm
Spyderco keeps the testing interesting. Btw, if you see a pic of a Wilson tester and it has that green and white calibration sticker on it, it's my testing. To date, I have tested about 250ish knives, maybe more. I lost count months ago. When I get a chance, I'll get a list of the Spyderco knives I've done and post them here. A lot of those numbers posted look pretty familiar already.
I implore you to list all brands and all knives measured. Just throw the full list up in Spyderco Forums - Off Topic. I'd love to see the results.

Thank you.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:21 pm
Please add Jcool/Kurt to the OP. Most of these numbers come from him. Thanks for all your work Kurt.

Thanks also to
Luvthemknives
Bladebanter
Supersteelsteve
Banter247
Outpost76

The majority of these numbers are thanks to these YouTubers sending knives to Kurt to have tested.
If you know these gents, then please have them post whatever they have no matter the brand/model knife in Spyderco Forums - Off Topic.

I'd love to know what I'm buying, and as I said, maybe I'll even get rid of a few knives if they turn up less than stellar.

Thank you.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:45 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

Thanks also to
Luvthemknives
Bladebanter
Supersteelsteve
Banter247
Outpost76

If you know these gents, then please have them post whatever they have no matter the brand/model knife in Spyderco Forums - Off Topic.

I'd love to know what I'm buying, and as I said, maybe I'll even get rid of a few knives if they turn up less than stellar.

Thank you.
Nah, this place should just be for Spyderco.
You can go to Kurt's Instagram here, in his description link there is a spreadsheet.
https://instagram.com/jcoolg19?igshid=1uikxm6ha9xmw
Support him by giving him a follow and likes for all his hard work rather than siphoning everything off here.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Thank you to everyone contributing to this data, and kudos to Spyderco for so many of these fantastic results!
jcoolG19

Post by jcoolG19 »

Thanks Shawn! It's been a lot of fun, and I'm just fortunate to be able to do it. I've been lucky to get to know some great people along the way, and am honored with the trust they have given me. It isn't easy for many to send of a chunk of their cherished knives off to a complete stranger.

BTW, I absolutely love what you're doing! Those 52100 knives!!! One of these days... a BBB Little Bear!
Deadboxhero wrote:

Thanks also to
Luvthemknives
Bladebanter
Supersteelsteve
Banter247
Outpost76

jcoolG19

Post by jcoolG19 »

I'll round up the Spyderco data this week. We're trying to work out something to get all the info centralized. The spreadsheet is run by David (BladeBanter on YouTube), and it is just for knives that have had Rockwell and PMI testing done. It is being updated now. We have had a lot of tests not get forwarded, so we're working on that. There is also a fair number of knives that have only been Rockwelled and do not show on the list. They will be listed in the near future. Anyone that has knives for testing, please message me and I'll tell you how we go about it. Thanks!

Naperville wrote:

Thank you.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I appreciate that Kurt.

Again, what you do for the community is HUGE Kurt.

Thank YOU.

jcoolG19 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:04 pm
Thanks Shawn! It's been a lot of fun, and I'm just fortunate to be able to do it. I've been lucky to get to know some great people along the way, and am honored with the trust they have given me. It isn't easy for many to send of a chunk of their cherished knives off to a complete stranger.

BTW, I absolutely love what you're doing! Those 52100 knives!!! One of these days... a BBB Little Bear!
Deadboxhero wrote:

Thanks also to
Luvthemknives
Bladebanter
Supersteelsteve
Banter247
Outpost76

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

jcoolG19 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:15 pm
I'll round up the Spyderco data this week. We're trying to work out something to get all the info centralized. The spreadsheet is run by David (BladeBanter on YouTube), and it is just for knives that have had Rockwell and PMI testing done. It is being updated now. We have had a lot of tests not get forwarded, so we're working on that. There is also a fair number of knives that have only been Rockwelled and do not show on the list. They will be listed in the near future. Anyone that has knives for testing, please message me and I'll tell you how we go about it. Thanks!
Naperville wrote:

Thank you.
I think that I messaged you earlier today on Instagram. If I can be of help let me know. If I had the wrong acct, I'll just reiterate my message:

I have 85 knives, but I don't think that I live near anyone. Alchemy_1 said he lives in SC. I live in Northern, Illinois, DuPage County. I'd need shipping and insurance covered for the knives to be shipped to you for testing. Unfortunately I cannot afford to ship and insure all of these knives and they would have to be insured round trip as we are looking at $20,000 in knives. If we could get "sponsorship" I'd be willing to ship quite a few of them to you.

BRAND AND STEELS INVOLVED:
3V, 6 (Bark River Knives(2), Cold Steel(1), RMJ(2), Winkler Knives(1))
9Cr18, 4 (CRKT(4))
80CrV2, 4(Winkler Knives(4))
154CM, 4 (Emerson(3), Boker(1))
1055 Carbon Steel, 7 (Cold Steel(2 + 5))
1095 High Carbon Steel, 4 (ESEE(1), KA-BAR(1), Tops Knives(2))
420HC Stainless, 3 (Buck(2), Gerber(1))
440C, 2 (Boker(2))
52100 High Carbon Steel, 1 (Cold Steel(1))
A2, 1 (Bark River Knives(1))
AUS-8, 2 (5.11(1), SOG(1))
BDZ-1, 1 (Gerber(1))
CPM-20CV, 4 (Hinderer(1), Spyderco(3))
CPM-154, 1 (Spyderco(1))
CTS-XHP, 6 (Cold Steel(4), LES GEORGE(2))
D2, 1 (KA-BAR(1))
Elmax, 1 (Bark River Knives(1))
H1, 1 (Spyderco(1))
M390, 4 (Bradford Knives(2), Hinderer(1), SCHUTTE(1))
M4, 1 (Benchmade(1))
Maxamet, 1 (Spyderco(1))
N690CO, 1 (Bastinelli(1))
O1, 6 (Randall(5), CRKT(1))
S30V, 1 (Spyderco(1))
S35VN, 10 (Chris Reeve(1), Hinderer(1), KA-BAR(2), Medford(1), Spartan Blades(2), ZT Knives(3))
S90V, 2 (Zero Tolerance(2))
S110V, 1 (Spyderco(1))
VG10, 2 (Boker(2))
ZDP189, 1 (ZT Knives(1))
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Deadboxhero wrote: Please add Jcool/Kurt to the OP. Most of these numbers come from him. Thanks for all your work Kurt.

Thanks also to
Luvthemknives
Bladebanter
Supersteelsteve
Banter247
Outpost76

jcoolG19 wrote:
Hey Kurt, hey Shawn. Fixed that first post :D
I want to thank everyone who has been putting their heart, soul, time and money into educating the knife community. But thank you particularly to you Kurt for the numbers on this list. After BBB mentioned it, I looked and he is absolutely right, most of these numbers are ultimately from your testing. I hope you dont mind us posting them here :o It would be a short list without you.

Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Strong Work, Thank you Sir :)
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:59 pm
Deadboxhero wrote: Please add Jcool/Kurt to the OP. Most of these numbers come from him. Thanks for all your work Kurt.

Thanks also to
Luvthemknives
Bladebanter
Supersteelsteve
Banter247
Outpost76

jcoolG19 wrote:
I want to thank everyone who has been putting their heart, soul, time and money into educating the knife community. But thank you particularly to you Kurt for the numbers on this list. After BBB mentioned it, I looked and he is absolutely right, most of these numbers are ultimately from your testing. I hope you dont mind us posting them here :o It would be a short list without you.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
jcoolG19

Post by jcoolG19 »

I don't mind at all, It is for everyone. I only mention it because a lot of people want to know where it comes from, and sometimes have questions. Thanks guys! I'm happy that it's useful and interesting to people.

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:59 pm

Thanks also to
Luvthemknives
Bladebanter
Supersteelsteve
Banter247
Outpost76

jcoolG19 wrote:
jcoolG19

Post by jcoolG19 »

Thank you very much! Two people I would definitely add would be Kenny (InThePocket), he has been a big contributor and driving force, and Roman (KKnives Switzerland), he's kinda like a European TripleB, but smaller and talks funny. We call him Frenchy!

I can't believe I forgot two guys! JackFarmBoy and BlueCollarSurvival are joining in with a lot of contributions as well.

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 pm

A HUGE THANK YOU!!!
To Kurt aka JcoolG19 for the majority of the numbers on this list. As well as Jim Ankerson, Luvthemknives, Bladebanter, Supersteelsteve, Banter247, Outpost76, Larrin, TripleBHandmade, Alchemy1, Frankie Blades, and everyone else who is on the front lines of testing and EDUCATING the knife community. Without you guys lists like this would not be possible, and no one in the knife community would understand the list anyways even if they had it. I don't think I'm alone in feeling like the knowledge and awareness level of the community has been raised lately, and you guys have really helped drive this. You freely give to the community knowledge that has cost you time, money, blood, sweat, and tears. Your work does not go unnoticed or unappreciated.

(If you know anyone who deserves to be in this list, leave their names in the thread and I will add them. Thank you again to everyone who has contributed.) :spyder:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Anyone have the results for the 204p Millie and para Millie?
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:56 am
NEW Numbers! From the great Alchemy1 on Instagram (please check out his page). He actually took pics of these being tested.

S30V Delica @ 59HRC
Superblue Calypso Jr. @ 61HRC
Cruwear PM2 @ 62HRC
M4 Shaman @ 64HRC
And two different REX45 PM2's @ 66.7 :eek:
Thanks for posting this here. I don’t get over here quite as much as I used to. One point of clarification though. Kurt stuck that Rex twice so he could make sure his eyes were seeing right. Hahaha! It was only 1 Rex PM2 with 2 test spots.