POLL: CORRELATIONS between lock-type-preferenes? (Pick two favorites out of five / please read first post before voting)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Out of these 5 Spyderco-lock types : What are your TWO favorite ones (no ranking WITHIN the two)?

- Backlock and CBBL/BBL
17%
- Backlock and Compressionlock
38%
- Backlock and Linerlock
3%
- Backlock and Framelock
5%
- CBBL/BBL and Compressionlock
20%
- CBBL/BBL and Linerlock
1%
- CBBL/BBL and Framelock
No votes
- Compressionlock and Linerlock
4%
- Compressionlock and Framelock
9%
- Linerlock and Framelock
2%

Total votes: 93

Wartstein

POLL: CORRELATIONS between lock-type-preferenes? (Pick two favorites out of five / please read first post before voting)

Post by Wartstein »

Lately I´ve noticed, that more than one forum member (including myself) who call the Backlock their favorite, rank the CBBL (Cached Ball Bearing Lock) second, clearly before Comp.Lock, Linerlock, Framelock and so on.

That got me interested in :

a) If THIS specific correlation has some statistical value (so if backlock-guys are very often also CBBL-guys)
b) If there are maybe GENERALLY correlations between certain lock-preferences (for example:If people who like the linerlock, more frequently than just by random chance also like the framelock)

Some points concerning the poll:

- I could include only five (and not more (like power lock...)) lock types, so please pick your favorite pair OUT OF THAT FIVE
- The Five are: BACKLOCK; CBBL/BL; COMPRESSIONLOCK; LINERLOCK; FRAMELOCK
- I cannot differenciate between CBBL (Cached Ball Bearing Lock) and BBL (Ball Bearing Lock) in this poll
- There is no ranking WITHIN one given pair (so if you vote for example: "Backlock and Linerlock": That could mean, that backlock is your Nr.1 and Linerlock your Nr.2, vice versa, or that you like these two equally)
- When voting, think of your MOST USED knife-category / knife-type (I know, that often times the preference for one or the other locktype will also depend on size, design, intended use and so on of a knife. But there is no way of creating a poll taking such factors into account)
- I am referring specifically to SPYDERCOS version of the mentioned locks (if they are not Spyderco-exclusive anyway)

I´d really appreciate your participation! I know, the results will be neither be very valid, nor of much real life value, but still interesting I guess!
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue May 14, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Re: POLL: CORRELATIONS between lock-type-preferenes? (Pick two favorites out of five / please read first post before vot

Post by steelcity16 »

CBBL (Manix and Manix LW) and Liner Lock (Military and Tenacious) for me. But I actually like all locks and wouldn't not buy a knife due to the lock. Except for Titanium Frame locks and RIL as I for some reason don't care for Titanium or the usually accompaning carbon fiber.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
PStone

Re: POLL: CORRELATIONS between lock-type-preferenes? (Pick two favorites out of five / please read first post before vot

Post by PStone »

I voted backlock and cbbl. Backlocks are my favorite and most used. I suppose because I grew up using them and they are familiar to me. And even though I only currently own 1 model with it, Cbbl is my second favorite to use.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I thought I might be an anomaly with backlock and complock, but it is actually in the lead atm. Might just be those are Spyderco's two most used locks?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:26 pm
CBBL (Manix and Manix LW) and Liner Lock (Military and Tenacious) for me. But I actually like all locks and wouldn't not buy a knife due to the lock. Except for Titanium Frame locks and RIL as I for some reason don't care for Titanium or the usually accompaning carbon fiber.
Thanks for voting! I voted Backlock and CBBL.

For me it is the Liner Lock that somehow not really connects with me. And that´s VERY odd, cause I could give no reason for that! In fact, I know and experienced that it works perfectly well (on my Military) and is great when wearing gloves or in harsh conditions (cold, wet fingers...)

Still, I am somehow just not drawn to that kind of lock. Could be the looks, could be the feel in hand, I really can´t tell.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Baron Mind wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:38 pm
I thought I might be an anomaly with backlock and complock, but it is actually in the lead atm. Might just be those are Spyderco's two most used locks?
A very good point... As said, the statistical value of my poll is more than questionable... :D but still I love to monitor how the result is developing. Interesting, at least for me, so thanks a lot for voting!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Might have something to do with ergonomics rather than locks, too.

For example, people who prefer the PM2 (comp lock) might go to the Mili (frame lock) if they want a bigger knife. Or people who prefer the Manix might go to a Native to get something smaller but with a similar feel.

I'm not convinced it's just about the locks themselves.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:43 pm
Might have something to do with ergonomics rather than locks, too.

For example, people who prefer the PM2 (comp lock) might go to the Mili (frame lock) if they want a bigger knife. Or people who prefer the Manix might go to a Native to get something smaller but with a similar feel.

I'm not convinced it's just about the locks themselves.
Another very good and valid point!! As a reply, I may just copy and paste the one to the post before yours, it fits perfectly in that case also ;) :
"As said, the statistical value of my poll is more than questionable... :D but still I love to monitor how the result is developing. Interesting, at least for me, so thanks a lot for voting!"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Compression lock and CBBL for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

My preference depends a bit on application. Overall I pretty strongly prefer a backlock for most uses. I like the strong self close and I find them easy to operate one-handed, especially with a choil, but a large ricasso/ kick can add safety too. Admittedly, I must also like them for the familiarity.

I especially appreciate how I don't feel the backlock in use and I don't need to worry about accidentally unlocking it in use. I did grow up with slipjoints (and later backlocks) so know about how to treat a pivot in use (and when to use a fixed blade), but it is still reassuring.

My favorite folders are the Spydiechef, Stretch 2 and Native Salt. I find the RIL framelock on the Chef to be outstanding. I still prefer backlocks overall, but wouldn't want it on the Chef, which demands a flow-throuh construction. A Ti framelock is perfect for the application. While my Chef does have a medium- strong detent, I am more careful about how I carry it such that it can't accidentally open. I do basically always, with any folder, put the spine to a pocket seam if carrying clipped.

I also have linerlock Spydies and other brands and other steel framelock, Opinel, other backlocks and enjoy the variety.

I like the CBBL OK but don't own any. I will likely end up with a comp lock on a Shaman.
Last edited by Enactive on Wed May 15, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gigem95

Post by gigem95 »

While I prefer a compression or CBBL lock, I do not purchase my knives based on this.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

A ranking WITHIN the two preferred lock types would still have been interesting, but not really possible in that poll-format. For example I have the feeling, that in most combinations that contain the linerlock, the Linerlock is "just" Nr.2... I guess if many people would have the Linerlock as Nr ONE, there would be more votes for "Linerlock and Framelock", since those two have quite some similarities in design and use.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:09 pm
My preference depends a bit on application....
You´re right, quite a few will feel like that. But in the given poll format I could not include different applications of knives unfortunately... would have been interesting though!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I decided to vote back and frame. With more nuance it is strongly backlock, then RIL Ti framelock, probably then CBBL then comp lock, and liner/ other framelock in last.

I have a slight hesitation with the CBBL, as I generally prefer simpler mechanisms on principle. Of course I know these are strong and durable-- just worth noting some of us like fewer moving and small parts on our toys. Of course I also see the advantages of more complex mechanisms sometimes too.
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:14 pm
Enactive wrote:
My preference depends a bit on application....
You´re right, quite a few will feel like that. But in the given poll format I could not include different applications of knives unfortunately... would have been interesting though!
Last edited by Enactive on Tue May 14, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:20 pm
I decided to vote back and frame. With more nuance it is strongly backlock, then RIL Ti framelock, probably then CBBL then comp lock, and liner/ other framelock in last.
Wartstein wrote:
Enactive wrote:
Thanks for voting! To be honest: I never had a Spyderco-framelock-knife. Just framelocks of other brands, but that was some time ago..
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

I picked backlock and cbbl. But I'm not as concerned with locking types. I'm happy with a liner lock. I got a variety of different knives and carry them. But this will be an interesting poll!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Sure thing. I don't know that I'll ever get another framelock, the Chef is that special. Mostly just want backlocks. The Chief, Stretch 2s, Natives and the Shaman are the only ones who really bekon me.
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:23 pm
Enactive wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:20 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Enactive wrote:
:rolleyes:
Thanks for voting! To be honest: I never had a Spyderco-framelock-knife. Just framelocks of other brands, but that was some time ago..
Last edited by Enactive on Tue May 14, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I suspect that there are people like me who can’t vote because we really don’t care about the lock, or lack of one. I’ve had them all. They all work fine at keeping the blade open.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I voted CBBL and Compression Lock, but reluctantly.

For me, the locks that Spyderco offers are, like the steels, all good, just different.

Bottom line, each functions as it should.

I do wish, however, that Japan-made backlocks were without vertical blade-play as are the Golden and Taichung ones. Were they as tight, I might have chosen Backlock and Compression Lock.

But what I lose in the neutral-handededness of the backlock, I keep with the CBBL, even though my strongly ambidextrous left-handedness doesn’t find compression locks, or liner locks (great for working in gloves, even if easiest to disengage), or RILs (talk about a minimal lock) much of a hindrance.

I do like the minimalist (and easily cleaned) open-architecture that the compression lock affords the PM2, the Superleaf, the Shaman, and the Caribbean, to name some models I especially like. But in the CBBL’s semi-open (semi-easily cleaned) architecture, the negative opening and positive closure (as with the backlock)—as in my much loved Manix2 and Manix2 XL (and as in my backlock Manix)—is something I wish the rock-solid compression lock offered.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue May 14, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
attila

Post by attila »

Solidly CBBL and then Comp lock for me.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5