BD1N vs S30V vs VG10 interesting result from cut test

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BornIn1500

BD1N vs S30V vs VG10 interesting result from cut test

Post by BornIn1500 »

Cedric & Ada Gear and Outdoors just put up a video today. His testing system puts VG10 at 260, BD1N at 375, and S30V at 425. So the edge retention of BD1N seems to be right between those two Spyderco steel staples. That "old and boring" S30V proves itself again! I'm really grateful for all the time this guy has put into his steel testing videos.

https://youtu.be/7RvP4A1tGeU
Sharp Guy

Re: BD1N vs S30V vs VG10 interesting result from cut test

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ That seems about right based on my casual use.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Obviously, since I don´t have a Para 3 LW (and most likely never will) I have no experience with Spydercos BD1N;
But if it it´s true what some say that it sharpens and feels quite similar to VG10, plus going by this vid has a lot better edge holding: Must be great stuff, since VG10 already is!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Interesting video. I wish he had several para 3’s to do the comparison as matching blade geometries would help control his results better. Decent test for DIY.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Of course, both the BD1N and the VG10 could probably take slimmer geometries that would let them cut longer. The S30V, too, but not as much slimmer. I've definitely seen tests of BD1N at 30° and 63 HRC where a whole lot of rope got cut. I think S30V would probably have trouble with those sorts of geometries, and definitely with that kind of hardness.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

dj moonbat wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:27 pm
Of course, both the BD1N and the VG10 could probably take slimmer geometries that would let them cut longer. The S30V, too, but not as much slimmer. I've definitely seen tests of BD1N at 30° and 63 HRC where a whole lot of rope got cut. I think S30V would probably have trouble with those sorts of geometries, and definitely with that kind of hardness.
And this is why I am starting to prefer steels like VG10 and BD1N. S30V is a great all-around steel. But when it does chip, it is annoying. I was leading a class on physical computing, and we had to solder some parts together. I pulled out my trusty Sage 2 and helped students cut down the appropriate number of header pins. All of the tables were metal, so the cutting happened on the metal tables. You might say that was a stupid thing to do, but the students had a need and I had a knife. It just made sense in the moment. There was some minor chipping on the edge. Nothing major, and it certainly would have been a faster repair if I had some more aggressive abrasive material (I use a 800/4000 King Stone). I'd rather use my knife (foolishly or otherwise) and deal with rolling and blunting rather than some minor chipping.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see that kind of test done with identical platforms. My totally unscientific impression from use is that VG-10 and BD1N are generally in the same class (with a slight edge to BD1N) and that s30v is a substantial upgrade to either of them in terms of edge holding.