Non-Bumblebee Caribbean?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Non-Bumblebee Caribbean?

Post by Evil D »

Turns out I had a bottle of green apple colored RIT dye under my kitchen sink. Seeing as how the dye remover apparently works so well, I guess I don't have anything to lose and peer pressure being what it is...

Actually it didn't do much. It definitely gave it more of a green tint but I was hoping for an olive green.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PStone

Post by PStone »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:00 pm
Turns out I had a bottle of green apple colored RIT dye under my kitchen sink. Seeing as how the dye remover apparently works so well, I guess I don't have anything to lose and peer pressure being what it is...

Actually it didn't do much. It definitely gave it more of a green tint but I was hoping for an olive green.
Looks darn good from here!

Did you disassemble? How long did you “soak”?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:18 pm
Evil D wrote:

I did disassemble, I grease my pivots so I wanted to make sure it was squeaky clean. I think I soaked it for about 20 minutes or so simmering on the stove.

I keep looking at the clip and I think I'm going to strip the green and dye it a gray color to match the clip.
~David
PStone

Post by PStone »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:48 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:18 pm
Evil D wrote:

I did disassemble, I grease my pivots so I wanted to make sure it was squeaky clean. I think I soaked it for about 20 minutes or so simmering on the stove.

I keep looking at the clip and I think I'm going to strip the green and dye it a gray color to match the clip.
Nice! Gray and black would look awesome for sure.

Thank you for the soak time. And I was curious about disassembly because it’s a salt series. I dyed a military without disassembling. But then did anyways a couple days later because I was paranoid rust had somehow formed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:02 pm
Nice! Gray and black would look awesome for sure.

Thank you for the soak time. And I was curious about disassembly because it’s a salt series. I dyed a military without disassembling. But then did anyways a couple days later because I was paranoid rust had somehow formed.

This knife has proven to be very easy to take apart and get back together. I've had every knife I own apart but some of them are finicky when it comes to blade centering and such. I haven't had to do any tricks or follow any particular torque sequence when putting this knife back together and it's centered and perfect every time.
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:44 pm
^^^ That was really just meant to be a joke...I rather enjoy most of those pics.

I think it boils down to not looking tacticool enough. It doesn't look aggressive enough, nor does it look expensive or fancy, and that's looking past the scale color at just the basic overall design. It lacks choils and gimmicks and flair aside from the scales. I actually think they did the scales this way deliberately to make it stand out apart from knives like the Tenacious which aside from the lock type share quite a bit of design features. If they try to sell a "Taiwan made knife that looks like a Tenacious" for $150ish dollars people are going to ask why Spyderco are trying to sell a Tenacious clone for that much money. They needed to do something to really set it apart and sell it as more than just a basic knife since it lacks choils and gimmicks.

I had a thread years ago (and in fact there's a thread right now asking basically the same question) asking if people would be interested in a premium version of the Tenacious, and people can't seem to separate the design/name from the budget classification, despite whatever materials it's made from or country that produces it. The argument always turns to "If I'm spending Para 2 money I'll just get a Para 2", which is exactly where the current thread is right now. Personally I actually think the Tenacious is a better looking knife, I think it's a brilliant design that only happens to be a budget knife, and if it were offered with the same materials and made by the same people as the Para 2, I would absolutely buy it over a Para 2 (especially so if it were also a compression lock). It seems to me that if you squint your eyes just right, the Caribbean is a compression lock Tenacious Salt, and that's a good thing in my eyes.
i figured it was tongue in cheek, but i thought i should address it anyway, since i’d like to see the handle change. the color isn’t the deal breaker for me. and the tenacious also features a less prominent hook and a more tapered rear. i don’t have one, but i love my resilience. if the caribbean had a similar handle shape, i’d be all over it. i still prefer the manix handle, but resilience is fine too.

and grey would look cooler. it would better match my watches and bond nato straps. ;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I'm surprised no dealers have asked for different scales,
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Marulaghost wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:47 pm
They may have and may be in the works. It was mentioned recently that one of the dealer exclusives was something like 2 years in the making from the time it was commissioned to the time it was released.
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I wonder if we will see a Caribbean Lightweight at some point. FRN with wire clip. That is something I can get behind.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:38 am
Marulaghost wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:47 pm
They may have and may be in the works. It was mentioned recently that one of the dealer exclusives was something like 2 years in the making from the time it was commissioned to the time it was released.
This does not surprise me at all; what with the sheer VOLUME of Sprints and Exclusives (not to mention the regular production catalog), I'm utterly amazed at the output Spyderco manages, and it's entirely believable (to me anyway) that limited run commissions take that long. It's not like "oh ok ima get that down in a minute lol"
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara