Cleaning G 10 scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Cleaning G 10 scales?

Post by wrdwrght »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:04 pm
I like Ballistol, too. Isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush can also lift crud.
Hey "wrdwrght"? Do you use the 91% Isopropyl alcohol? I started using that to get off the worst of the accumulated grime and then finishing it up with BAllistol and have had really good results. I've found that by doing that in a two step method that it seems to do a more thorough job. I just started using the 91% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol about a year ago. In the past I used the 91% alcohol to remove stuff like glue off of scotch tape and other types of tape. Also I find the alcohol for internal cleaning without the worry of water getting trapped in moving part areas.

I'm glad you brought that up because I should have mentioned that myself. But I do find that the 91% Isopropyl alcohol does have a better overall result than the cheaper, weaker rubbing alcohol does.

But BALLISTOL also has ideal lubrication properties to it as well as a protection from minor corrosion.
Yup, the 91%. Good stuff.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Another reason I'm going to stick to BALLISTOL for most of my G-10 cleaning and restoring chores is that it is not too hot of a solvent that would eventually cause harm to the materials. A lot of these solvents like Brake Cleaner, Carb Cleaner and even in some cases electrical contact cleaners might just have too hot of a solvent for the good of the G-10 material.

That's why I agree with "Wrdwrght" on using Isopropyl 91% rubbing alcohol for basic cleaning. You're not going to do any damage with rubbing alcohol but yet it has enough solvent properties to strip all kinds of gunk you accumulate using a folder.
FK

Post by FK »

Last year I purchased a used Military Cruwear with the light grey G-10,,,, it was rather dirty with stubborn marks.
The Magic Eraser worked quickly and easily,,, the knife now looks minty.

Regards,
FK
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

toothbrush and
wd40 or
dish soap or
(my favorite) 10:1 rubbing alcohol:liquid coconut oil in a small pump spray bottle
Joey

Post by Joey »

I bought this BHQ Manix 2 for a great price. The G10 looked dirty, but free of damage so I figured it was worth a shot. Turns out I was right! I got it looking as clean as any other jade G10 I’ve seen. I used a tooth brush to scrub lightly, and some simple green mixed in warm water. I didn’t want to take it apart, but the inside was full of gunk, so I had to clean it inside and out, anyway.
Attachments
9D7901B2-3524-47E2-85D7-3F3723D9BCBC.jpeg
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:06 am
A big 32 ounce can of Ballistol usually will last me 3 to 4 years most of the time.
Certainly agree Joe, definitely the way to go. A 500ml can here only cost about $25 and as I said on a similar thread I use it on my spinning reels as advised by Shimano Australia Techs.

I never thought to use it on G10 till I read a post of yours quite a while ago. You’re a bloody genius! ;)

Last edited by Bloke on Fri May 17, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Trying to catch the local black powder place open so I can get me some of that Ballistol.

Look forward to getting my green PM2 CYS 204P scales looking factory fresh again.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jpm2 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:07 pm
toothbrush and
wd40 or
dish soap or
(my favorite) 10:1 rubbing alcohol:liquid coconut oil in a small pump spray bottle
Brother I can't find any fault with your cleaning regimen at all. Because I'm sure there are probably as least a hundred cleaning methods that would work well and the final results that you would obtain would be similar in many cases. But do try the BALLISTOL for a final treatment and preservation of the G-10 material and I think you and others will be most pleasantly surprised as I was quite a few years back. It also has rejuvenation properties as well.

It was strictly by accident and just experimenting with a wide range of products for cleaning and restoring when I discovered how good BALLISTOL works on G-10 handles.

Also I highly prefer 91% Isopropyl alcohol ( rubbing alcohol) that you can get at any local drug store, or big box store for solvent cleaning and prepping the material for a final treatment. It's a safe solvent and effective enough to remove most of the gunk so your Ballistol will work more effectively not to mention it leaves hardly no residue to speak of at all. Now if anyone of you find something better than BALLISTOL for a final treatment of G-10 handles I will immediately give it a try because I'm always looking for something better.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:43 am
jpm2 wrote:
toothbrush and
wd40 or
dish soap or
Brother I can't find any fault with your cleaning regimen at all. Because I'm sure there are probably as least a hundred cleaning methods that would work well and the final results that you would obtain would be similar in many cases. But do try the BALLISTOL for a final treatment and preservation of the G-10 material and I think you and others will be most pleasantly surprised as I was quite a few years back. It also has rejuvenation properties as well.
If I run across a can, I'll try it.
The alcohol/coconut oil is one of those 1001 type use items... wonderful for food safe cleaning to treating heat rashes, and everything in between. I like utility.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:20 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:43 am
jpm2 wrote:
toothbrush and
wd40 or
dish soap or
If I run across a can, I'll try it.
The alcohol/coconut oil is one of those 1001 type use items... wonderful for food safe cleaning to treating heat rashes, and everything in between. I like utility.
Well I'll check out the alcohol/coconut oil concoction because it does sound interesting. I've recently looked into making homemade soap because of the rising prices of soap, shave cream and several other soap related item. And it seems like coconut oil is in about every recipe I run across>> especially in shaving soap and cream. I've been using a Coconut soap made by TOM's of Maine and it's about the best store bought soap I've ever showered with.

Also it seems like coconut oil has all kinds of food applications to it as well. Interesting :) I've also used Ballistol as a treatment for Micarta and that has been interesting as well. Also just like BLOKE said I've also used Ballistol for cleaning and restoring fishing reels too.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The G10 scales on my Waterway looked grey particularly the checkered mid section.

I should have taken before and after shots but anyhow this is how they look now. A few drops of Ballistol and a toothbrush, left it overnight and buffed with a cotton cloth. They look wet and may be in the valleys were I couldn’t get the cloth but dry to the touch and glossy black. :)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

I haven't exposed G10 to anything scalding hot water and dish soap couldn't take off.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've pulled up this thread because there is also a similar thread on how to clean and maintain Carbon Fiber handles. And I thought that a lot of the great tips on this thread would go hand in hand with what they were discussing on the CF thread. I again recommended Ballistol also for cleaning and maintaining CF handles too.
I've yet to find "Ballistol" to be harmful to any handle material as of yet. Now for general cleaning of CF I would also start with 91% Rubbing alcohol that you can get at your local Walgreen or any other chain drug store throughout the USA. It's extremely cheap comparatively and truly does a very efficient job cleaning and stripping off a variety of products that can gunk up your knife handle.
I would also include the "coconut oil" concoction that was mention here on this thread as well as the "overnight, Platinum Dawn" dishwashing soap you can get at any local grocery store for general cleaning of G-10 or Carbon Fiber handles. Also the product Ballistol has a lot of protective properties as well on any knife handle you would use it on.