Spyderco's Unique & One Of A Kind Sharpening Tools?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Spyderco's Unique & One Of A Kind Sharpening Tools?

Post by Woodpuppy »

Hey JD, check your PMs!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:46 am

I've found dozens of uses for those older/discontinued 701 Profiles for instance and I very much want to see them return at some point.

I just picked up a set of 701s on fleabay. Can you please elaborate on your dozens of uses for these? :D I have the standard sharpmaker (no upgraded rods yet) as well, but not much experience on it. When would you use the 701 rather than the sharpmaker?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:08 am
JD Spydo wrote:

I've found dozens of uses for those older/discontinued 701 Profiles for instance and I very much want to see them return at some point.

I just picked up a set of 701s on fleabay. Can you please elaborate on your dozens of uses for these? :D I have the standard sharpmaker (no upgraded rods yet) as well, but not much experience on it. When would you use the 701 rather than the sharpmaker?
Well congratulations finding a set of those 701 Profiles at a reasonable price. Well first off you can do most serration patterns by hand ( but not all).
You can use the radii part of the file for the scallops and use the corners for the spike parts of the serrations and I've just had excellent results overall.

You can also use the flats for all kinds of sharpening jobs and I've had a lot of people tell me over the years that they like the 701 Profiles for touching up plain edged knives in the field as well as at work. Places where it wouldn't be convenient to take a 204 Sharpmaker.

Also you can use the radii parts of the files to do plain edged Hawkbills, Recurves, And Reverse S blades with obtaining really good results. When you finally sit down and start playing with them you'll see how versatile that they are. When I was still doing a bit of machine work I found them extremely handy as a de-burring tool. You'll figure it out really quickly I can assure you.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:16 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:08 am
JD Spydo wrote:

Well congratulations finding a set of those 701 Profiles at a reasonable price. Well first off you can do most serration patterns by hand ( but not all).
You can use the radii part of the file for the scallops and use the corners for the spike parts of the serrations and I've just had excellent results overall.

You can also use the flats for all kinds of sharpening jobs and I've had a lot of people tell me over the years that they like the 701 Profiles for touching up plain edged knives in the field as well as at work. Places where it wouldn't be convenient to take a 204 Sharpmaker.

Also you can use the radii parts of the files to do plain edged Hawkbills, Recurves, And Reverse S blades with obtaining really good results. When you finally sit down and start playing with them you'll see how versatile that they are. When I was still doing a bit of machine work I found them extremely handy as a de-burring tool. You'll figure it out really quickly I can assure you.

Very cool! Excited to put them to use! Thanks for the reply! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:19 pm
AH2525 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:21 am
I have just recently gotten a Golden Stone. And I love it EVEN more than my Sharpmaker, enough so that I rarely get my Sharpmaker out. There is something seductive about teh simplicity and ease of the Golden Stone and just pulling it out and doing a few quick touch up strokes. I know there are probably "better" tools for re-profiling and fixing badly worn blades but to me for daily or weekly maintenance of blades I am loving the GS. And an added bonus to me is that laying it flat allows me to experiment with benchstone style sharpening.
Hey thank you for your well thought out response because I'm liking the GOLDENSTONE more and more myself. Let me ask you a couple of questions regarding that great tool. First off how would you like it if the GOLDENSTONE were available in more grit selections? Oh and by the way I've heard today that they are indeed about to release a base for the GOLDENSTONE to where you can sharpen in more than one angle selection?

Also do you mainly use your GOLDENSTONE for folders? Or do you use it for a wide range of different cutlery items? Oh by the way I like to use mine flat on a bench on certain sharpening jobs too.
Hey JD! Thank you. I would love to have about 2 more grits to use in the GS shape - a "medium" and one like a diamond stone for reshaping. I mainly do folders and small-is kitchen knives just because those are all I have. My folders run from a Roadie to a roughly 4" Kershaw for reference. I am excited to have a base available for it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

AH2525 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:17 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:19 pm
AH2525 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:21 am
I have just recently gotten a Golden Stone. And I love it EVEN more than my Sharpmaker, enough so that I rarely get my Sharpmaker out. There is something seductive about teh simplicity and ease of the Golden Stone and just pulling it out and doing a few quick touch up strokes. I know there are probably "better" tools for re-profiling and fixing badly worn blades but to me for daily or weekly maintenance of blades I am loving the GS. And an added bonus to me is that laying it flat allows me to experiment with benchstone style sharpening.
Hey thank you for your well thought out response because I'm liking the GOLDENSTONE more and more myself. Let me ask you a couple of questions regarding that great tool. First off how would you like it if the GOLDENSTONE were available in more grit selections? Oh and by the way I've heard today that they are indeed about to release a base for the GOLDENSTONE to where you can sharpen in more than one angle selection?

Also do you mainly use your GOLDENSTONE for folders? Or do you use it for a wide range of different cutlery items? Oh by the way I like to use mine flat on a bench on certain sharpening jobs too.
Hey JD! Thank you. I would love to have about 2 more grits to use in the GS shape - a "medium" and one like a diamond stone for reshaping. I mainly do folders and small-is kitchen knives just because those are all I have. My folders run from a Roadie to a roughly 4" Kershaw for reference. I am excited to have a base available for it.
AS I've said before the more I use the GOLDENSTONE the more I'm getting to like using it. But there are times when I want something a bit more aggressive or something to do better finish work with. They could sell a set of 4 of them in different grits and have them in some type of case you could carry.

Yeah that GOLDENSTONE can really grow on you working in a pinch especially.
Kiki

Post by Kiki »

I have the Goldenstone and absolutely love it. I keep it in our kitchen and use it to sharpen our kitchen knives and our Spiderco knives. It is by far our most used sharpener. I would definitely buy a courser and a finer grit Goldenstone and a base for the Goldenstone. I would also buy them to give as gifts. I’m really looking forward to these new stones becoming available.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kiki wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:47 am
I have the Goldenstone and absolutely love it. I keep it in our kitchen and use it to sharpen our kitchen knives and our Spiderco knives. It is by far our most used sharpener. I would definitely buy a courser and a finer grit Goldenstone and a base for the Goldenstone. I would also buy them to give as gifts. I’m really looking forward to these new stones becoming available.
Thanks for your input Kiki :) Just getting someone to try the GOLDENSTONE seems to be the biggest hurdle. I've only talked to one person that bought and tried a GOLDENSTONE that didn't like it much. But almost everyone else I've chatted with thinks that sharpening tool has a lot of possibilities if made in more grit selections.

I also still think there are modifications that could be done for the 204 Sharpmaker to make it even more popular too.
Kiki

Post by Kiki »

I think that if you had a video on how to use the Goldenstone, people would be more inclined to try one. Before ordering ours, I looked up videos to see how to use it. The only one I could find was Nick Shabazz's, who loves using it. After watching his video, I immediately bought it.
We also have the Sharpmaker. I love that too but I use the Goldenstone much more often. It's more convenient and so easy to use.
How much longer do you think it will be before the new Goldstones are out?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kiki wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:32 pm
I think that if you had a video on how to use the Goldenstone, people would be more inclined to try one. Before ordering ours, I looked up videos to see how to use it. The only one I could find was Nick Shabazz's, who loves using it. After watching his video, I immediately bought it.
We also have the Sharpmaker. I love that too but I use the Goldenstone much more often. It's more convenient and so easy to use.
How much longer do you think it will be before the new Goldstones are out?
Well Kiki I couldn't agree with you more. The one topic that really perplexes me is that Sal or the company itself for that matter has never done a comprehensive video or has never put out a comprehensive user's manual on the GOLDENSTONE. That really confuses me especially when you consider that they waited close to 20 years before the technology was available to make that GOLDENSTONE. I would think they would want to sell thousands of them being it took so long for that tool to come to fruition.
I've seen the video you're speaking of but I still think that Sal or one of the other Spyderco staff could do one much better. Again I can't wait till they make one in Ultra-Fine. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to fine tune my M390 Military I EDC daily and an Ultra-Fine GOLDENSTONE would be the perfect tool to do it with.