Would you buy a Golden, CO USA EARTH Made Tenacious Lightweight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 49

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I really LOVE my Tenacious and I honestly think it is one of Spyderco's best designs, and as evidenced by the popularity of this model there are probably a lot who agree. Literally my only complaint is the lack of the steels available in the Golden-made folders. I know we probably won't see the Tenacious move to Golden any time soon, but who says we can't get a lightweight FRN/wire clip version made in the good ol' US of A with steels like CRUWEAR, 4V, CTS-XHP, and the availability of a true DLC finish??? A Salt model in LC200N would be off the rails awesome as well! Who is with me??
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Re: Would you buy a Golden, CO USA EARTH Made Tenacious Lightweight?

Post by Wartstein »

Totally YES. I never had one, but often looked a depictions and wished iit would have a "better" steel - S30V would be totally fine with me (also VG10, but that´s not a "Golden" steel of course).

For me the blade is too short at first glance, but since its edge goes back all the way to the handle that´s not true in reality! Almost perfect EDGE length for me.

Only thing I´d really like to see: A backlock... I don´t really like liner locks, and to be honest I can´t even tell WHY exactly, cause I know (and experienced) that they work perfectly (and even with gloves). Don´t know, is it the looks, or the feel in hand... I am just not drawn to this kind of lock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

No, because everytime this subject comes up people recommend re-inventing the wheel by making it 99% identical to existing models. And with the suggested changes, in blade steel and making the tooling for a lw, that would practically make it a new model with a price that would sentence it to a long and lonely life on a shelf, unsold.
Just my P.O.V /2 cents of course
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I wouldn't mind owning a Tenacious made in Golden, but I don't think it would sell well. It's sales are primarily due to it's price point.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

no, but i would buy a resilience salt in lc200n (or even h1) so fast. the tenacious doesn’t do it for me. i prefer the manix in that size. i really like the resilience though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:35 am
No, because everytime this subject comes up people recommend re-inventing the wheel by making it 99% identical to existing models. And with the suggested changes, in blade steel and making the tooling for a lw, that would practically make it a new model with a price that would sentence it to a long and lonely life on a shelf, unsold.
Just my P.O.V /2 cents of course
Good points, but thinking about I have to disagree:
An "affordable golden-level" Tenacious would be a quite unique model, since there are really not that many not only without a choil, but also the edge extending all the way to the handle (a feature I like). Ok, there's the Caribbean now, but other than that?!

Even more so the above said would be true for the "affordable Seki-level", wouldn't it?!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

At the price point of a Golden-made Tenacious, I'd rather have something with a comp lock.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Most likely, however the similarities in the design of the Caribbean have quenched my thirst for this idea pretty well. I would be far more interested in a Caribbean LW, and if it happened to get 3D contoured scales like a D'Allara 2 I would be quite happy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

No. That would kick the price up close to a PM2 and at that point I just buy the PM2.

The price is the main virtue of the Tenacious -- sort of a "sacrificial knife" for bad situations, as well as
an economical knife to buy as a gift for someone who has only experienced no-name convenience store knives.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:10 am

Redacted?? :confused: :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:32 pm
No. That would kick the price up close to a PM2 and at that point I just buy the PM2.

The price is the main virtue of the Tenacious -- sort of a "sacrificial knife" for bad situations, as well as
an economical knife to buy as a gift for someone who has only experienced no-name convenience store knives.

Why do you think it would be in PM2 territory? I'd expect it more in the Para 3 LW territory. $90-100. I've had probably close to 30 Spydies, mostly Golden and Seki models, and the Tenacious just feels right. The size, the blade shape, the ergos, the liner lock. It is great. I think it has plenty to offer outside of price. A lightweight model FRN model made in Golden with DLC Cruwear would be hard to beat for me. Maybe a DLC LC200N Salt version.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:

A bit similar as it was concerning my reply to Larry Motts post, I have to disagree:

An "affordable golden" (or also " affordable Seki") Tenacious would be quite a unique knife and somehow even fill a niche in that price- and quality-levels. Just because it is NOT a PM2 (or Stretch, Manix lw...).

Why? Its main difference and for some advantage would be the phenomenal closed length to edge ratio. You get a whole lot of edge for the rather short package you carry (not true for the PM2), plus: Just gripping the knife intuitivly, well, on the grip, places your hand very close to the edge already (no choil, no ricasso). Quite appealing to me, and very rare in mid range prized Spydies (even more so before the Caribbean was released - and just look, how people praise its "Military sized edge in a PM2 package...)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d pass. I prefer the build quality and features of the pm2, including full length nested liners, and I don’t like liner locks. I think the only one I have anymore is the squarehead.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:49 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:

Why do you think it would be in PM2 territory? I'd expect it more in the Para 3 LW territory. $90-100.N Salt version.
Well, let's look at some current prices (using the Blade HQ website):

Tenacious -- $50
Para3 LW -- $91
Para3 G10 - $133
PM2 S30v - $153

So if Spyderco did this and kept it in G10 to avoid having to work up a bunch of new tooling, it would be $133 or so and in my case I would absolutely kick in the extra $20 and get the PM2 instead.

Now if Spyderco did this and worked up the mold to do this in FRN, it would probably be priced about the same as the Para3 LW. This would make the jump to the PM2 less of a no-brainer, but still changes the game as far as this being the amazing $50 knife that it is. I would still pass. Heck I would probably get the Para3 LW instead if they were the same price, but I am not nuts about the Para 3.

But you and I are excited about different things about the Tenacious. I am most excited about the $50 price. You and others seem excited about certain aspects of the design (such as the choil, or lack thereof), which is neither here nor there to me. The question for me would be whether I would spend twice the money (or more) to get a better knife steel, and I say no. I can toss a bit more money in the pot and get better steel and a better lock and a design I like better with the PM2.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I would not be interested in one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:

So if Spyderco did this and kept it in G10 to avoid having to work up a bunch of new tooling, it would be $133 or so and in my case I would absolutely kick in the extra $20 and get the PM2 instead.

But you and I are excited about different things about the Tenacious. I am most excited about the $50 price. You and others seem excited about certain aspects of the design (such as the choil, or lack thereof), which is neither here nor there to me. The question for me would be whether I would spend twice the money (or more) to get a better knife steel, and I say no. I can toss a bit more money in the pot and get better steel and a better lock and a design I like better with the PM2.
Don´t want to reply for steelcity16, but yours are good points and well said. And: In a way they point out, why a "Golden Tenacious" COULD definitely be sell well maybe:

I assume we are talking about a Tenacious in exact PM2 materials and PM2 quality. So essentially it would be almost a PM 2 without a choil and a liner lock instead of a comp. lock. If you compare the specs, the Tenacious has almost exactly the same blade length as the PM2, but the EDGE is longer by one full cm; Still, closed the whole package is about one cm SHORTER.

So: For people who like that approach of no choil / no Ricasso and a lot of edge going right back to the handle (and the Caribbean shows: There probably are not too few...), the "Golden Tenacious" probably would be the "better PM2"? Sure, the blade shape is, while quite similar, still not exactly the same (less pointy tip...) and so on.
(Honestly I can´t say anything about the ergos of the Tenacious. I have a PM2 and like the ergos very much, but never handled a Tenacious).

If it had a backlock of a linerlock, then I personally would take a "Golden quality Tenacious" over a PM 2 almost for sure..
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Isn't the Polestar a "better" Tenacious that goes for more money? That model isn't selling well, probably due to the price. I don't know what it would take to get an affordable Golden model, but I think the Para 3LW is filling that role quite well. The Polestar, Tenacious, and Para 3 LW are all different in many respects, so perhaps it isn't fair to group them all together. But I couldn't help think of the Polestar when I hear upgraded Tenacious.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:

Why do you think it would be in PM2 territory? I'd expect it more in the Para 3 LW territory. $90-100.N Salt version.
Well, let's look at some current prices (using the Blade HQ website):

Tenacious -- $50
Para3 LW -- $91
Para3 G10 - $133
PM2 S30v - $153

Now if Spyderco did this and worked up the mold to do this in FRN, it would probably be priced about the same as the Para3 LW. This would make the jump to the PM2 less of a no-brainer, but still changes the game as far as this being the amazing $50 knife that it is. I would still pass. Heck I would probably get the Para3 LW instead if they were the same price, but I am not nuts about the Para 3.

Sorry TT, yes, I am thinking about the cost of a Tenacious Lightweight in FRN being similar to the Para 3 LW. A G10 Tenacious made in Golden might even be more than a PM2 if the cost of the Military is any indication (same lock).

So for me, it would be spending twice the money for a Golden Made FRN Lightweight to get a lighter package, wire clip, and access to steels like CRUWEAR and 4V, while maintaining the things I love about the standard version like the size, ergos, and blade shape. I would take this over a Para 3 LW, and I love my Para 3 LW and plan on getting most, if not all of the exclusives. And the possibility of an LC200N Salt in the future become a real possibility with a Golden made LW.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:44 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:10 am

Redacted?? :confused: :D
Yeah I was about to share my opinion on liner locks and thought, why say something negative in a thread that really isn't even about that. Realized I was doing something that's a pet peeve of mine. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.... I don't always agree with that idea but there's definitely something to it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal