Would you buy a Golden, CO USA EARTH Made Tenacious Lightweight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Golden, CO USA EARTH Made Tenacious Lightweight?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 49

SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Would you buy a Golden, CO USA EARTH Made Tenacious Lightweight?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Doc, thank you for pointing that out about liner locks. Someone once told me "I call liner locks cut finger locks" and that made me think. However, as you pointed out, Spyderco makes quality.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:39 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:34 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:24 am

Me too, but just in PE...

What do you guys not like about a linerlock? .....
Honest answer: I can't really tell you. Functionwise they work really well (at least done by Spyderco), as already stated especially in harsh conditions and with gloves. While theoretically not the strongest of locks, no linerlock ever failed on me...

Still, something just does not connect with me, and I am not sure what exactly. Looks? Feel in hand? Somehow associated with cheaper knives? No idea, really...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:56 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

There are only two knives that I like that have the liner lock: Military and Cat. I do not like the lock, I just put up with it. The Cat is small enough it is not going to get used hard. The Military is, the Military, and everyone needs one. Now I will be buying the P4 and NC instead of the Military, however.
NC, oh yes.. my Milli is just a bit TOO long when closed, but the Chief has just Endura-length, which is great. And, yes, a backlock... way better for me than a linerlock..

What do you guys not like about a linerlock? Do you think you are going to disengage the lock accidentally during use? I really like the linerlock on the Military and Tenacious. I even went so far as voting CBBL?Linerlock as my two favorite locks in the recent poll! I like the ease of opening gloved, easy one hand close, and I even like to fidget with them more than comp locks. And I don't have any fear of it disengaging during use.
I have worked construction and I worked on our farm where knives were always used very hard. Liner locks were called 'fail locks'. They often did not hold up to the hard work. I have even seen the locks get disengaged from squeezing the knife hard in use. I could tell a lot of stories. also, the only thing keeping them closed is a detent, not a spring, and they have a bias toward open. In lock test after lock test you can see these locks fail long, long before any other lock types. Frame locks and liner locks (same thing) are handy, but you have to keep in mind their limitations. The only good thing I can say about them is they tend to work in muddy environments.
https://youtu.be/4KmHfbG7z7g
https://youtu.be/ERxHUXAFVs4

People will argue about the merits of tests like these, but we should not ignore their data because these tests reflect what I have seen in the real world. And it is not just these videos, but there are many tests like these and they are consistent across the board.

Now, I do not condemn people for liking the liner lock. It has its uses (my wife may be getting me a nice Spyderco with a liner lock) and I do use them on occasion. My point is that we need to use them with our eyes open and realize that the few strengths are mitigated by the many weaknesses of the antiquated design.

Spyderco does make the best liner lock I have ever seen, by the way.

Yeah, I do understand that, and I have always been a little scared of that happening on cheap Chinese liner locks. But, have you ever seen a Spyderco liner lock fail during use? Or heard of one failing? I don't think there is anything to be afraid of with a Spyderco liner lock. Liner locks have gotten a bad rap from the cheap crap gas station knives. It's ashame really. It is an excellent lock when done well like on a Spyderco. I have 100% confidence when using my Military and Tenacious for even the toughest tasks.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:48 am

...It is an excellent lock when done well like on a Spyderco. I have 100% confidence when using my Military and Tenacious for even the toughest tasks.

Same here. The linerlock is one of my favorites - it's super easy and intuitive to operate especially with gloves, it's strong and secure, and it doesn't allow vertical blade play.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:24 am

Me too, but just in PE...
There are only two knives that I like that have the liner lock: Military and Cat. I do not like the lock, I just put up with it. The Cat is small enough it is not going to get used hard. The Military is, the Military, and everyone needs one. Now I will be buying the P4 and NC instead of the Military, however.
NC, oh yes.. my Milli is just a bit TOO long when closed, but the Chief has just Endura-length, which is great. And, yes, a backlock... way better for me than a linerlock..

What do you guys not like about a linerlock? Do you think you are going to disengage the lock accidentally during use? I really like the linerlock on the Military and Tenacious. I even went so far as voting CBBL?Linerlock as my two favorite locks in the recent poll! I like the ease of opening gloved, easy one hand close, and I even like to fidget with them more than comp locks. And I don't have any fear of it disengaging during use.

Use the search function, and use Google. There are PLENTY of articles, videos, blogs, etc showing how bad a liner lock can be. Spyderco does a good job for the most part but I am also one of the ones that has had MANY years of experience with knives and have seen liner locks fail more than any other lock. I've not had a Spyderco liner lock fail as they know how to make them. You're quick to come here and state things you think are facts that are merely your inexperienced opinion. Read more, talk less, search more. :) I've been there.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Lighten up Francis.

And don’t use google. Use www.duckduckgo.com
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Fred Sanford wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:21 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Use the search function, and use Google. There are PLENTY of articles, videos, blogs, etc showing how bad a liner lock can be. Spyderco does a good job for the most part but I am also one of the ones that has had MANY years of experience with knives and have seen liner locks fail more than any other lock. I've not had a Spyderco liner lock fail as they know how to make them. You're quick to come here and state things you think are facts that are merely your inexperienced opinion. Read more, talk less, search more. :) I've been there.

You keep being afraid of the liner lock boogeyman and I'll keep using my Tenacious and Military with reckless abandon. About to buy a Polestar and Alcyone as well. Couple of great looking knives and one hellula value if you ask me! And you literally said Spyderco knows how to make them, so what's the problem? This isn't a flea market knife finds forum. Now, head on back to your youtube knife lock fails channel safe space. :rolleyes:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 pm
Fred Sanford wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

You keep being afraid of the liner lock boogeyman and I'll keep using my Tenacious and Military with reckless abandon. About to buy a Polestar and Alcyone as well. Couple of great looking knives and one hellula value if you ask me! And you literally said Spyderco knows how to make them, so what's the problem? This isn't a flea market knife finds forum. Now, head on back to your youtube knife lock fails channel safe space. :rolleyes:
Welcome to my block list. Nice that you attack someone because they don’t agree with you. Shows your maturity.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Fred Sanford wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 pm
Fred Sanford wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

Welcome to my block list. Nice that you attack someone because they don’t agree with you. Shows your maturity.

That's literally what you did...first. Look in a mirror bud. Oh wait, you blocked me. Guess you get the last word. :rolleyes:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is a related question for steelcity, Wartstein, Doc, and anyone else on this knife: If a person did not want to pay for an exotic rust proof steel like Lc200n, but wanted a good solid locking folding knife specifically for fishing use, both salt and fresh water, and did not want a fixed blade, would the current model Tenacious and a possible Tenacious LightWeight, be up to that use, for everything from processing and cleaning fish to making sandwiches for lunch while fishing, cutting various forms of monofilament line, and also for use by a professional fisherman if they needed it, or not?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:55 am
Here is a related question for steelcity, Wartstein, Doc, and anyone else on this knife: If a person did not want to pay for an exotic rust proof steel like Lc200n, but wanted a good solid locking folding knife specifically for fishing use, both salt and fresh water, and did not want a fixed blade, would the current model Tenacious and a possible Tenacious LightWeight, be up to that use, for everything from processing and cleaning fish to making sandwiches for lunch while fishing, cutting various forms of monofilament line, and also for use by a professional fisherman if they needed it, or not?

No, the current model Tenacious will rust in a salt environment. I'd go with a serrated edge Salt 2 or Pacific Salt for what you are describing. An LC200N Tenacious LW Salt would be awesome though! :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

steelcity16 wrote:

I have had to warranty just one Spydie and it was a liner lock that was giving me problems. I have seen bad frame/liner locks on other brands as well. I think they are the least reliable locks.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:26 am
steelcity16 wrote:

I have had to warranty just one Spydie and it was a liner lock that was giving me problems. I have seen bad frame/liner locks on other brands as well. I think they are the least reliable locks.

They might be the least reliable on other brands and cheap knives, but the liner locks on Spyderco seem to be very reliable in general. I don't doubt that there are a few lemons out there like the one you warrantied as this happens in every manufacturing setting. But there are also backlock lemons, comp lock lemons, CBBL lemons, etc. I actually did Google "Spyderco Lock Failures" at the suggestion of the fine gentleman earlier in this thread, and most of the results are surprisingly failures of the Delica and Endura backlock where I guess lint and dirt and such was gumming up the mechanism. There were a few results where people were questioning the liner lock reliability on the Military, but I didn't see anyone actually give an example of a failure that happened to them. Very few results in general of actual lock failures in Spydercos, and of those few, how many were actually counterfeit knives and/or user error?

If there was a widespread problem and they truly were unreliable and dangerous, I very seriously doubt that Spyderco would keep the Military, Tenancious, and others on the market and open themselves up to potential lawsuits. Not to mention continue producing new models with this lock. In this new world where the vocal minority has the most influence, it is refreshing to see Spyderco continues to use the liner lock because they KNOW it is a good, safe, reliable lock as implemented in their designs.

And even with the lemon you got, you obviously still trust liner locks enough to carry a CRUWEAR Military and actually use it, and probably use it harder than 99% of Spyderco buyers. So they can't be all that bad, right?? :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:46 pm

And even with the lemon you got, you obviously still trust liner locks enough to carry a CRUWEAR Military and actually use it, and probably use it harder than 99% of Spyderco buyers. So they can't be all that bad, right?? :D
Ha, it obviously doesn't bother me that much. It was my Cruwear Military that had the bad lock. They put a new liner in it and it has been my favorite knife ever since. :) I still wish it wasn't a liner lock. :cool:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I voted "no." The Tenacious has never appealed to me.