Would you buy a Golden, CO USA EARTH Made Tenacious Lightweight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Golden, CO USA EARTH Made Tenacious Lightweight?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 49

steelcity16

Re: Would you buy a Golden, CO USA EARTH Made Tenacious Lightweight?

Post by steelcity16 »

Fred Sanford wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:53 am
No. Unnecessary. It would then defeat the purpose of being made in China and the price would get close to that of a Para 3 lightweight. Plus I find it ugly (the Tenacious).
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:40 pm
Don’t fix what ain’t broke.

I think you guys are missing the point. This isn't about bringing a budget model to the US. Price is irrelevant here. We are talking about taking a design that in my opinion is one of the best in the entire Spyderco lineup, and making it in Golden with FRN, a wire clip, and the better USA made steels. I understand the price would be close to or higher than the Para 3 lightweight. I would take a Tenacious lightweight over a Para 3 LW at the same price any day (and I REALLY like my Para 3 LW) is what me and some others are saying. It would be a unique model in the Golden lineup and nothing like a Para 3 LW or PM2 or anything else in Golden. LOTS of people like the Tenacious. That is why the Polestar was made. This takes it a step further.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think the problem is that the tenacious is popular and has the following it does because of the price. i understand that you might prefer the tenacious over golden models, but i think most people prefer the more refined golden models of similar size for the kind of money they draw. i'm not saying they aren't good knives, but it might not be as popular if it had golden prices, especially if it's also still available in the budget line. now, on the other hand, if spyderco were to do what other companies manufacturing budget knives in china have been doing and offer the same lineup in something like d2 for a few dollars more, that would be interesting. of course, i say that having no issue at all with spyderco's 8cr13mov. and i don't care for the tenacious at all even though i love the resilience.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:55 pm
now, on the other hand, if spyderco were to do what other companies manufacturing budget knives in china have been doing and offer the same lineup in something like d2 for a few dollars more, that would be interesting. of course, i say that having no issue at all with spyderco's 8cr13mov. and i don't care for the tenacious at all even though i love the resilience.

I would not be interested in a Chinese made knife as anything other than a durable disposable or sacrificial lamb for unfriendly political environments. I did buy a couple Byrd’s for my kids’ first knives, because I assume they’ll be abused broken or lost. I prefer to support the Golden and Seki makers.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 pm
Fred Sanford wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:53 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:40 pm
I think you guys are missing the point. This isn't about bringing a budget model to the US. Price is irrelevant here. We are talking about taking a design that in my opinion is one of the best in the entire Spyderco lineup, and making it in Golden with FRN, a wire clip, and the better USA made steels. I understand the price would be close to or higher than the Para 3 lightweight. I would take a Tenacious lightweight over a Para 3 LW at the same price any day (and I REALLY like my Para 3 LW) is what me and some others are saying. It would be a unique model in the Golden lineup and nothing like a Para 3 LW or PM2 or anything else in Golden. LOTS of people like the Tenacious. That is why the Polestar was made. This takes it a step further.
Very well said and sums up what I think almost perfectly.

Again: I came to somehow like fingerchoils lately a bit more, but a few years ago I was really hoping for exactly what you describe: "Golden" quality, S30V-level steel, and NO choil,instead shining In the edge-to-handle-ratio-capacity. Lightweight. And a regular grip, that places my hand as close to the edge as possible... Exactly a "golden" Tenacious, only thing I would have done: Backlock instead of linerlock maybe.. that is in no way "another PM2"...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderwolf wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:55 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:44 am
No.There are so many lightweight Spydercos with a choil,compression lock and wire clip.Why make an entry level,affordable knife into something that already exist?
... maybe just because a higher quality Tenacious would be exactly NOT another knife featuring a choil, comp. lock and wire clip?! ;)
No,it would be a Para 2.5 ;)
Man!! :) I guess you're kidding me, right? Even a basic G10 Manix 2 is closer to being "another Para whatever number" than a Golden-level-lightweight-Tenacious would be...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:54 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:55 pm
now, on the other hand, if spyderco were to do what other companies manufacturing budget knives in china have been doing and offer the same lineup in something like d2 for a few dollars more, that would be interesting. of course, i say that having no issue at all with spyderco's 8cr13mov. and i don't care for the tenacious at all even though i love the resilience.

I would not be interested in a Chinese made knife as anything other than a durable disposable or sacrificial lamb for unfriendly political environments. I did buy a couple Byrd’s for my kids’ first knives, because I assume they’ll be abused broken or lost. I prefer to support the Golden and Seki makers.
i agree with you. i'm simply stating that a budget offering with an upgraded steel might be a better option than moving production of the knife to golden, both for spyderco and consumers alike. a handful of makers are offering knives their chinese budget aus8 folders in d2 for only a few extra dollars. it would still be a budget knife, it would just be a better budget knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^gotcha
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Tbh, I'm not sure. It could be one of the most boring knives ever, or it could end up being pretty cool like the Para 3 LW. I suppose I'd have to see on in person first.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd be interested in a 3 to 3.5 inch long, thin(er) stock, edge to the handle, no or low ramp, bladed folder with a wire clip. Tenacious / Polestar style cutting edge and front of handle, meets Efficient or Chaparral style rear of handle. Maybe a Mini Carribean LW with wire clip, conventional stainless steel liners, and leaf shaped BD1N or S30V blade?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

With all respect to other's opinions, I am with steelcity, Wartstein and some others: I would love the above-mentioned Golden, Colorado-made Tenacious Lightweight. I hope and pray it will be made with a unique stainless steel, like Lc200N. When can we expect this prized cutlery beauty, sal? :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would not buy one. I do not like liner locks that much. Keep them in the inexpensive knife category as introductory knives and then introduce them to something better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:46 pm
I would not buy one. I do not like liner locks that much. Keep them in the inexpensive knife category as introductory knives and then introduce them to something better.
Though I support the idea of the OP concerning a high quality Tenacious, I am with you on the liner lock. Just can't really warm up to it either, though I can't precisely tell why (Spydercos linerlocks do work perfectly well, in harsh conditions or with gloves better than any comp.lock could imho).

That said: People like the Military, which has a linerlock. And imagine a Tenacious on Military-level, quality- and steelwise: A very compact package to carry (1cm shorter than even a PM2), but with an actual edge not even 10% shorter than the Millis!

Still, give it a backlock for me...;)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wartstein my friend, what about a "Tenacious 2" with Lc200N blade that had a part-serrated combo edge and some form of textured FRN handle and a backlock? Would you consider that a great model if they could make it in Golden?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:41 am
Wartstein my friend, what about a "Tenacious 2" with Lc200N blade that had a part-serrated combo edge and some form of textured FRN handle and a backlock? Would you consider that a great model if they could make it in Golden?
LC200 is fine I am sure, but VG10 (not a "Golden" steel, I know) or S30V would be equally ok for me.
I am not really into comboedges anymore (and if, unlike most, I like them in smaller blades (Delica))

Other than that: YES!!! :)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
If this came about I would buy one in a heart beat.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:22 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Me too, but just in PE...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:24 am
Doc Dan wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
There are only two knives that I like that have the liner lock: Military and Cat. I do not like the lock, I just put up with it. The Cat is small enough it is not going to get used hard. The Military is, the Military, and everyone needs one. Now I will be buying the P4 and NC instead of the Military, however.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:34 am
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
There are only two knives that I like that have the liner lock: Military and Cat. I do not like the lock, I just put up with it. The Cat is small enough it is not going to get used hard. The Military is, the Military, and everyone needs one. Now I will be buying the P4 and NC instead of the Military, however.
NC, oh yes.. my Milli is just a bit TOO long when closed, but the Chief has just Endura-length, which is great. And, yes, a backlock... way better for me than a linerlock..
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:39 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

NC, oh yes.. my Milli is just a bit TOO long when closed, but the Chief has just Endura-length, which is great. And, yes, a backlock... way better for me than a linerlock..

What do you guys not like about a linerlock? Do you think you are going to disengage the lock accidentally during use? I really like the linerlock on the Military and Tenacious. I even went so far as voting CBBL?Linerlock as my two favorite locks in the recent poll! I like the ease of opening gloved, easy one hand close, and I even like to fidget with them more than comp locks. And I don't have any fear of it disengaging during use.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:39 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

What do you guys not like about a linerlock? Do you think you are going to disengage the lock accidentally during use? I really like the linerlock on the Military and Tenacious. I even went so far as voting CBBL?Linerlock as my two favorite locks in the recent poll! I like the ease of opening gloved, easy one hand close, and I even like to fidget with them more than comp locks. And I don't have any fear of it disengaging during use.
I have worked construction and I worked on our farm where knives were always used very hard. Liner locks were called 'fail locks'. They often did not hold up to the hard work. I have even seen the locks get disengaged from squeezing the knife hard in use. I could tell a lot of stories. also, the only thing keeping them closed is a detent, not a spring, and they have a bias toward open. In lock test after lock test you can see these locks fail long, long before any other lock types. Frame locks and liner locks (same thing) are handy, but you have to keep in mind their limitations. The only good thing I can say about them is they tend to work in muddy environments.
https://youtu.be/4KmHfbG7z7g
https://youtu.be/ERxHUXAFVs4

People will argue about the merits of tests like these, but we should not ignore their data because these tests reflect what I have seen in the real world. And it is not just these videos, but there are many tests like these and they are consistent across the board.

Now, I do not condemn people for liking the liner lock. It has its uses (my wife may be getting me a nice Spyderco with a liner lock) and I do use them on occasion. My point is that we need to use them with our eyes open and realize that the few strengths are mitigated by the many weaknesses of the antiquated design.

Spyderco does make the best liner lock I have ever seen, by the way.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050