Poll: more CBBL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Offer new CBBL designs

Yes - please make more knives with the CBBL lock
73%
No - not interested in knife designs using the CBBL lock
27%

Total votes: 167

Pelagic

Re: Poll: more CBBL

Post by Pelagic »

What are the springs made out of? I've never owned one long enough to know if it was an issue in regard to rust/corrosion.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'd be up for something else with the cbbl. My only issue with the cbbl is that it's not quite as easy as some of the other locks to close with my left hand. I can do it but I struggle a little with it. I don't close my knives with my left hand very often anyway. So not a big deal.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:47 am
Next to a well executed back lock, this is my favorite lock. I have long hoped for more knives with this lock. A Military with this lock would be amazing.
agreed
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:07 pm
What are the springs made out of? I've never owned one long enough to know if it was an issue in regard to rust/corrosion.
I couldn't tell you what they're made of, but they resist corrosion pretty well for me. My sweat rusts stainless blades, stainless liners, hardware, lock parts etc., but I haven't managed to rust the spring on my Manix XL.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:07 pm
Actually, unless they make the spring tension a little less harsh, I won't be buying anything with the cbbl. My first Spyderco was the Manix, because I love the idea of the cbbl, but it ate apart the pads of my fingers when disengaging. I've since bought six different Manix's, some better than others, but all were still too strong.

What is it that shabazz says... It didn't bring me any joy to use. If they loosen the tension, somewhere in between where it is now, and the typical axis lock, I'd be all over any model that was produced with the cbbl. Then it would bring me joy.
On this one we are different obviously: The stronger tension (and detent!) is the main thing I like in the CBBL over the Axxis lock...

Admittedly, my experience is based on only one single knife and a quite short period of time. But while the tension of the CBBL in my Manix definitely was stronger than on my Minigrip (Axxis lock), I could easily operate the CBBL with even only one finger (thumb). And I never had any concern that the Manix could open in the pocket, something the Minigrip definitely has a tendency to do, even when I adjust the action quite firm...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:56 pm
DOUBLE D wrote:
Actually, unless they make the spring tension a little less harsh, I won't be buying anything with the cbbl. My first Spyderco was the Manix, because I love the idea of the cbbl, but it ate apart the pads of my fingers when disengaging. I've since bought six different Manix's, some better than others, but all were still too strong.

What is it that shabazz says... It didn't bring me any joy to use. If they loosen the tension, somewhere in between where it is now, and the typical axis lock, I'd be all over any model that was produced with the cbbl. Then it would bring me joy.
On this one we are different obviously: The stronger tension (and detent!) is the main thing I like in the CBBL over the Axxis lock...

Admittedly, my experience is based on only one single knife and a quite short period of time. But while the tension of the CBBL in my Manix definitely was stronger than on my Minigrip (Axxis lock), I could easily operate the CBBL with even only one finger (thumb). And I never had any concern that the Manix could open in the pocket, something the Minigrip definitely has a tendency to do, even when I adjust the action quite firm...
Maybe more knife nerds should take up rock climbing :p I always use one finger to unlock the cbbl and even if I play with my Manix all day my finger pads are fine.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:36 pm
Wartstein wrote:
DOUBLE D wrote:
Maybe more knife nerds should take up rock climbing :p I always use one finger to unlock the cbbl and even if I play with my Manix all day my finger pads are fine.
:D Let´s put it this way: Knife nerd Vivi should definitely take up rock climbing, since you look like a pretty strong guy overall (saw one or two of your frisbee vids) PLUS your fingers specifically got strong enough for climbing too from playing with backlocks and CBBLs... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:48 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
DOUBLE D wrote:
:D Let´s put it this way: Knife nerd Vivi should definitely take up rock climbing, since you look like a pretty strong guy overall (saw one or two of your frisbee vids) PLUS your fingers specifically got strong enough for climbing too from playing with backlocks and CBBLs... ;)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9ZckHxgd6J8

:D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sorry, I've reached the point where I have no interest in any lock other than the midlock, and only when that lock is paired with a 50/50 choice and a design that I either know works for me or at least have some reason to think it might.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:52 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:48 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

:D

Man!!! Very cool, even if not ROCK climbing in the narrowest sense... :D - do you have real rocks to climb where you live?
and: you´re definitely NOT a beginner (or one of the best beginners ever worldwide... ;)

I´ll better stop it here, I guess, before it gets even more off topic... :o
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun May 12, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:30 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:54 pm

I think Sal said there were difficulties fitting the CBBL into a smaller package though.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)
I think that's true, especially into a NARROWER package resp. handle.. as far as I know a CBBL knife does require a choil in the blade (so the blade does not interfere with the CBBL in the handle when folded in).
Now imagine a very slim knife like lets say the Kapara, and give it a CBBL: IF there was space enough in the handle for a CBBL at all, the blade would have to feature a compared to it's overall height crazy deep choil probably...

But all I said here above is more or less just theoretical guessing to be honest. Don't have a CBBL knife at hand to check if I'm right.

Also I don't know if the CBBL itself could be "shrinked" to fit more handles... ?
By now, I have 3 liner-less Ti Manix'es (M4, S110V, and hollow ground S30V), and have been using them for several months. They seem to hold up very well.

One could grind down the lock button to make it slimmer, but I actually find it more usable when sticking out like this. Just posting this to show that even the existing Manix 2 CBBL works very well in a much narrower package.

And regarding the spring tension, after having used a bunch of them - they definitely break in. However, I was never really interested in closing the knife with one finger. Works very well with one hand and using two fingers. Repost on how I close:

Love the Manix, love the CBBL, don't really "need" another CBBL, but would be great .... However, before we consider another design, how about that Manix XL in Cruwear that we keep talking about ? :) :)

Roland.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Thanks for all the feedback. I’m glad I’m not the only one who want to see more designs with this lock. I’m sure it has its limitations with some designs. If you look at what spyderco has achieved in the Last couple years with the compression lock and integrating it into flippers and push button designs, I’m sure the cbbl can be adapted to more knives.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Also, the cbbl is very ambidextrous design. I think because it has similarities with the axis lock people expect it to be more similar in operation. In my opinion it is much stronger and more controllable, with 15 minutes of practice you can master opening and closing a cbbl with one hand.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I voted no. I love the Manix and love the CBBL on the Manix.

But I like the compression lock even better. That is the lock to rule them all.

Variety is good, but the Manix fills the need in the CBBL department.

(I've never been able to open a CBBL with one hand, and I have been rock climbing for some time.)
My view is that if I can't work out how to operate a lock using common sense, then that method is
just not for me. If I have to practice and struggle, I am barking up the wrong tree.

One handed with the compression lock is easy and instinctive both opening and closing.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ferider wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:03 pm

.... However, before we consider another design, how about that Manix XL in Cruwear that we keep talking about ? :) :)

Roland.

+1 x 1,000,000 :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:51 pm
(I've never been able to open a CBBL with one hand, and I have been rock climbing for some time.)
My view is that if I can't work out how to operate a lock using common sense, then that method is
just not for me. If I have to practice and struggle, I am barking up the wrong tree.

One handed with the compression lock is easy and instinctive both opening and closing.
Compression lock is real easy to manipulate, but I like the self close on cbbl.

Here's how I close mine one handed.

Most folks pinch with their thumb and index finger and swing it shut like I do the first time. I use the second method shown.

If you're trying to unlock a CBBL with just the thumb it's easier if you use the tip like in the first picture.

It's tougher this way:

ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

ferider wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:03 pm

By now, I have 3 liner-less Ti Manix'es (M4, S110V, and hollow ground S30V), and have been using them for several months. They seem to hold up very well.

One could grind down the lock button to make it slimmer, but I actually find it more usable when sticking out like this. Just posting this to show that even the existing Manix 2 CBBL works very well in a much narrower package. ...

Roland.
Those are the best looking Manixes I've seen. Are the Flytanium scale clip holes tapped, or do you have to use the steel liners to retain pocket clip mounting? Also, what did you use as a spacer (washer?) for the pivot on the liner-less one in your photo? Thanks.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I voted yes. Although I love the compression lock, the CBBL has several huge advantages. To wit:

1) It’s fully ambidextrous like the back lock, exactly the same on both sides.

2) I love the strong self-close bias and lack of need for a detent ball. It is safer and yet convenient.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would personally like to see liner locks and frame locks relegated to the distant, obsolete, past. The only locks I like are the mid back lock and the CBBL, in that order.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:51 pm

With all respect let me ask: Could it be, that just YOUR particular CBBL knife has an unusual strong lock for whatever reason?! In my experience operating the CBBL with only one finger is really not hard and does not require overly strong (" rock climbing"-) fingers... the post above yours says about the same, the guy could learn it within 15 minutes.

But again: My OWN CBBL experience is based on only one single knife I had.

EDIT: Read your post once more: You literally mean, you can't open a CBBL with one HAND (so you need rwo HANDS to open it?)? Or did you mean "operate the lock with one finger"?