Poll: Cruwear in regular production?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should Spyderco offer select regular production models in Cruwear?

Yes
76%
No
17%
Maybe
7%

Total votes: 72

Wartstein

Re: Poll: Cruwear in regular production?

Post by Wartstein »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:22 am
Well I’d be pretty happy with hap40 too.
Now THAT (HAP 40) is a steel I have (unlike with Cruwear) actually quite a bit experience with and think it's great stuff.
Especially if all the VG10 Seki knives would be regularely produced also in HAP 40, that would be very nice.

Btw, unlike some others, I totally like the cladded HAP 40 / Sus 410 version Spyderco uses. For my use it has only advantages and zero disadvantages over uncladded HAP40.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I dig the cladding with patina developing naturally on the unclad portion of the bevels.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:00 am
I dig the cladding with patina developing naturally on the unclad portion of the bevels.
Me too! Looks great, and makes every knife very unique and "personal", since both the "cladding lines" and the patina are never the same on any two knifes... (and the scratches on the Sus 410 too...)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:15 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Me too! Looks great, and makes every knife very unique and "personal", since both the "cladding lines" and the patina are never the same on any two knifes... (and the scratches on the Sus 410 too...)

You guys need to take your unnatural love affair with cladding to another thread. This here is a CRUWEAR thread! :D

CRUWEAR NATION!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:15 am
Woodpuppy wrote:

You guys need to take your unnatural love affair with cladding to another thread. This here is a CRUWEAR thread! :D

CRUWEAR NATION!!
My apologies to all citizens of Cruwear Nation for going off topic! ;)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I am an agent of thread drift :p
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:37 pm
I am an agent of thread drift :p
... And a member of Cladded-HAP40-Nation! :D
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Cladded or not, I'll take hap40 over cruwear any day.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:55 pm

What do you like about Hap40 vs CRUWEAR? Do you like Rex45 better than Hap40?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Of course the answer is yes to Cruwear. Spyderco already knows this. I think there’s issues with getting enough of it on a regular basis though.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Yes, on Darby and Joe's points. A backlock in Cruwear would be nice.
The Mastiff wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 pm
I'm going to agree with Darby. On all his points in fact.
Regular production in every Golden made model? Probably not.

Used as a base steel in certain models? For sure.

I have said it many times already, the Manix Backlock and Shaman should have come in Cruwear in the first place. The Manix Backlock would possibly still be with us if it had debuted in Cruwear.
Still no backlock Cruwear model yet. I would like one.

joe
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

There are no direct analogs to Cruwear listed I can find in the JIS and the steel makers websites. The closest one I can find to CPM Cruwear is HAP 5R
https://www.hitachi-metals.co.jp/e/yss/ ... hap5r.html. It's used for pretty much the same industrial uses as CPM Cruwear is. It is a powder steel and should be pretty adaptable with different heats and tempers just like Cruwear/PD#1/Z wear etc. If ran hard it might get more into 4V wear resistance but that is just a guess.

I have no examples to link to of any knifemakers using it. Japanese makers usually stay in their own comfort zones unless pushed by someone like Sal or Eric to use something else. If you look at the Japanese home market their knives are one of maybe 5 or 6 steels and there are not going to be much in the way of cold work tool steels used in knife manufacturing. The US market was like that 15 years ago but without exaggerating Spyderco changed all that here. :)

Enactive stated:
Maybe I'm getting more set in my ways as I get older but I'm doing less experimenting with different knives and going with the tried and true models I know that I get along with. Part of that is having arthritis and some nerve damage in my hands. Certain models just work better for me. When I have years of carry with the muscle memory that comes with it the whole carry, use and maintenance thing works much better. Unfamiliar knives have a way of nipping me now. That was not a problem 10 years ago so I'm trying to be realistic. I can fall in love with a knife and find out it just doesn't get along with me. The Enduras, Delicas, Police, Stretch an Native all work very well for me. Until I some day get someone to make a Cruwear blade for one of my Enduras I will be compromising. That is a shame considering how many decades I've been doing this and how much money I've spent looking for that perfect knife.

Joe
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:19 pm
There are no direct analogs to Cruwear listed I can find in the JIS and the steel makers websites. The closest one I can find to CPM Cruwear is HAP 5R
https://www.hitachi-metals.co.jp/e/yss/ ... hap5r.html. It's used for pretty much the same industrial uses as CPM Cruwear is. It is a powder steel and should be pretty adaptable with different heats and tempers just like Cruwear/PD#1/Z wear etc. If ran hard it might get more into 4V wear resistance but that is just a guess.

I have no examples to link to of any knifemakers using it. Japanese makers usually stay in their own comfort zones unless pushed by someone like Sal or Eric to use something else. If you look at the Japanese home market their knives are one of maybe 5 or 6 steels and there are not going to be much in the way of cold work tool steels used in knife manufacturing. The US market was like that 15 years ago but without exaggerating Spyderco changed all that here. :)

Enactive stated:
Maybe I'm getting more set in my ways as I get older but I'm doing less experimenting with different knives and going with the tried and true models I know that I get along with. Part of that is having arthritis and some nerve damage in my hands. Certain models just work better for me. When I have years of carry with the muscle memory that comes with it the whole carry, use and maintenance thing works much better. Unfamiliar knives have a way of nipping me now. That was not a problem 10 years ago so I'm trying to be realistic. I can fall in love with a knife and find out it just doesn't get along with me. The Enduras, Delicas, Police, Stretch an Native all work very well for me. Until I some day get someone to make a Cruwear blade for one of my Enduras I will be compromising. That is a shame considering how many decades I've been doing this and how much money I've spent looking for that perfect knife.

Joe

Ahhhh yes, Hap5R. I just resurrected a thread about Hap5R and SRS-15 for your viewing pleasure. Really hope to see something along these lines in the Seki models soon. With all of the hype around Cruwear and 4V, it makes sense to find a similar steel to do a run of Seki models in. Police LW, Endela, Endura, Delica, Dragonfly. I'd buy the whole line! And for the love of Pete, PLEASE throw in a Jester while you are at it! :)

Unclad please though. Solid blades.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:53 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:55 pm

What do you like about Hap40 vs CRUWEAR? Do you like Rex45 better than Hap40?
In all the examples I’ve tried, including custom zwear, hap40 has had better edge stability with my use.

Rex45 is even better due to not having the heat treat limits cladded hap40 has.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I would buy more knives than I can afford, so I say no.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:28 am
I would buy more knives than I can afford, so I say no.

Don't ruin it for the rest of us just because you would have no self control around easily available CRUWEAR knives!!! :D