Which steel "spoiled" you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Which steel "spoiled" you?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:08 pm
LC200N did it for me.

I have abused it since new and it just keeps on going. A few passes on the fine stones every once in a while and it's ready for more.
Thank you. Based on your experiences with this steel, and that of others, if you were to speculate, would you say that LC200N is now firmly entrenched as a new "standard steel" that Spyderco, and perhaps in the future, other knife companies will be using, as opposed to a mere fad or trend that lasts for a time and is set aside, and we can expect to see new ranges of both folders and fixed blades with this?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The decent stainless used by Victorinox spoiled me as a child because it took a good edge and never rusted. Many years later my first Delica in ZDP-189 spoiled me with its ability to hold a razor edge for a long time. Now S110V spoils me for how long it holds a working edge even in the face of nasty duty.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

You said nasty duty. :p :D
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:59 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
LC200N did it for me.

I have abused it since new and it just keeps on going. A few passes on the fine stones every once in a while and it's ready for more.
Thank you. Based on your experiences with this steel, and that of others, if you were to speculate, would you say that LC200N is now firmly entrenched as a new "standard steel" that Spyderco, and perhaps in the future, other knife companies will be using, as opposed to a mere fad or trend that lasts for a time and is set aside, and we can expect to see new ranges of both folders and fixed blades with this?
I can see Spyderco continuing to implement it in more models. As for other manufacturers, I can't say. I only purchase Spydercos and customs.

I would happily purchase any knife design in LC200N, it is everything I need in a knife steel.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:37 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
LC200N did it for me.

I can see Spyderco continuing to implement it in more models. As for other manufacturers, I can't say. I only purchase Spydercos and customs.

I would happily purchase any knife design in LC200N, it is everything I need in a knife steel.
i wish distributors would latch onto lc200n and give us some exclusives in something other than rust-prone or hard to sharpen steels. i don’t understand why they have to pick one steel and one scale color for everything. i guess it’s working out for them, but it bites for those of us that don’t like those steels or colors or handle materials.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:50 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:37 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
LC200N did it for me.

i wish distributors would latch onto lc200n and give us some exclusives in something other than rust-prone or hard to sharpen steels. i don’t understand why they have to pick one steel and one scale color for everything. i guess it’s working out for them, but it bites for those of us that don’t like those steels or colors or handle materials.
My dream exclusive set would be with LC200N and white G10. White is prettier than the jade, but just as easy to dye for anyone who wants a different color.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The first knife that I bought was back in '93, but I did not start collecting until 2017 - 2018. I came to the party pretty late and in so far as I know all of the knives that I have purchased have been HT properly for the intended use.

I'm spoiled by all the great steels.

After this HT/HRC debacle, I'm just going to be careful who I buy knives from until it's all sorted out.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Mastermachetier

Post by Mastermachetier »

For my the first steel I got that blew my mind was an S100v on a manic lightweight. Since I bought that knife right when it was released I have only purchased spyderco knives.

One thing I’d love to see though is lc200n become a standard steel across some of their Lightweight models . A whole new salt series maybe based out of golden knives since they produce the native there.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

anycal

Post by anycal »

In a way, it was CTS-BD1. Not exactly because of the steel. It had more to do with my sharpening skills.

When it came to sharpening, I got by most of my adult life with couple of stones. At some point I bought the Lansky guided system, but didn't use it all that frequently.

It was around the time I started to accumulate a few :spyder:, when I started to get more serious about sharpness. It just happened that my Manix 2 LW with CTS-BD1 steel was the first knife I 'really' got sharp. Progression of various stones, followed by stropping. I never got a knife that sharp before. So, yes, in a way CTS-BD1 spoiled me.
Peter