Which steel "spoiled" you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Which steel "spoiled" you?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

For me it was VG10. What I mean with this question is not "I do not appreciate knives made with other steel alloys". But, it is true, while I do appreciate knives made with other steel, once Spyderco and some other brands like Al Mar introduced VG10, and then once Spyderco began making knives from H1, and other advanced steel, it is now difficult for me to look back on earlier knives made with "mere" 440 series and "Surgical Stainless steel" and think of them the same way.

As an example: I picked up a book about knives I have that was published in the 1980s and which has knives from that time and before. Now, I do appreciate some of those designs, for sure, but, I am no longer able to look at them with the same level of respect that I have for knives made with VG10 and other more advanced steel. Do any of you here have that same thought and feeling?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Which steel "spoiled" you?

Post by Doc Dan »

Back in the 1960's and early 70's it was 440C as heat treated by Buck. It outperformed anything else available at the time. 154CM was my preference, for a while long with D2. Then, XHP came along and spoiled me. Now, I am so impressed with K390 that I am looking for more knives in it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:15 am
For me it was VG10. What I mean with this question is not "I do not appreciate knives made with other steel alloys". But, it is true, while I do appreciate knives made with other steel, once Spyderco and some other brands like Al Mar introduced VG10, and then once Spyderco began making knives from H1, and other advanced steel, it is now difficult for me to look back on earlier knives made with "mere" 440 series and "Surgical Stainless steel" and think of them the same way.

As an example: I picked up a book about knives I have that was published in the 1980s and which has knives from that time and before. Now, I do appreciate some of those designs, for sure, but, I am no longer able to look at them with the same level of respect that I have for knives made with VG10 and other more advanced steel. Do any of you here have that same thought and feeling?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "spoiled," but I reckon the insane edge retention of S110V sometimes had me spoiled insofar as I didn't have to sharpen it very often at all lol. And I entirely agree with you that it's difficult to take "surgical stainless steel" very seriously when the term is an obvious marketing ploy, not to mention the fact that disposable scalpel blades are often (albeit not exclusively) made from plain carbon steel :cool:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

For me, it was S90V. That stuff is the most balanced high carbide stainless I'm aware of. It holds an edge for a respectable amount of time and sharpens fairly easily. The aggressive edge it takes, combined with the ease of sharpening is what made me fall in love.

S90V is a seriously underrated and often forgotten steel. It wont hold an edge as long as S110V, or resist chipping like M4, or sharpen like Cruwear... and maybe that's why it doesnt get the love it should.

V-toku2 is up there for me too. Great edge stability, holds that edge for as long as I need, and sharpens so easily, you'd swear it happens just by looking at the stuff.

I love Rex45, Zdp-189, 204P, and more, but S90V and V-toku2 changed the way I think about steels.
gonzokat86

Post by gonzokat86 »

Zdp-189 definitely. Still at the top of the pack as far as holding the razor edge for a long time.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Cruwear. My first Spydie was a Manix2 in Cruwear and it was miles ahead of any knife steel I had before. It led me to look into and try others. Great edge retention, tough, easy to touch up an sharpen, almost stainless... It’s still my fav and the runners up tend to have similar characteristics.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Albatross wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:05 am
For me, it was S90V. That stuff is the most balanced high carbide stainless I'm aware of. It holds an edge for a respectable amount of time and sharpens fairly easily. The aggressive edge it takes, combined with the ease of sharpening is what made me fall in love.
This is literally the first time I see "S90V" and "ease of sharpening" in the same sentence :confused:
If you don't mind me asking, what is your sharpening method?
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

It's relative of course. My sharpening method is freehand on diamond stones to 600 grit.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Albatross wrote:

S90V is a seriously underrated and often forgotten steel. It wont hold an edge as long as S110V, or resist chipping like M4, or sharpen like Cruwear... and maybe that's why it doesnt get the love it should.
I actually prefer s90v to Cruwear for most applications. I like that it's tougher than s110v but still pretty stain resistant (not as much as s110v).

The steel that "spoiled" me was definitely Maxamet, though.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I know that I sound like a 33rpm vinyl record album with a "skip" in it but I'm still enjoying my love affair with my M390 Military model. There literally isn't hardly a day that goes by that I don't use that most wonderful version of the C-36 Military for some job around the house or in the woods when I'm hiking or whatever.

Oh sure I'm all but certain that there are surely other supersteels that would outshine M390 in a side by side testing>> but this bad boy is working really well for me. I seldom get out my S110V Para2 which I also like. But I seem to have better edge retention with the M390 for whatever reason. I use nothing but the 20 degree slots on the Sharpmaker between reprofiling which usually only is necessary about once a year. M390 is my vote for now>> but anything is subject to change in the KIngdom of Spyders :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me definitely H1/LC, for being maintenance free and so easy to sharpen.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ferider

Post by ferider »

Albatross wrote:
This. My favorite stainless. Not sure why, but easier to sharpen for me, than - say - M390. And just as good in the corrosion dept., IMO.
Albatross wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:28 am
It's relative of course. My sharpening method is freehand on diamond stones to 600 grit.
That maybe explains it for me too. Freehand on wet Japanese stones, somewhere between 700 and 1000 grit.

My favorite carbon steel (that spoiled me?) is Rex 45. I did get excited about Maxamet first, but was cured after I broke a blade.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

LC200N, I can’t think of anything better than complete corrosion resistance and great edge retention. :)
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

V TOKU2. So easy to strop back into working order
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ZDP-189
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:56 am

Yep, H1 for me as well! Plain Edge Dragonfly Salt was my first Spyderco and the rest is history!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Which one spoiled me?

Schrade Old Timer 1095 for ease of sharpening and decent performance way back when. I had a difficult time as a kid trying to teach myself using a cheap stone and cheap stainless steels. Going to a well built and heat treated quality carbon steel showed me I should have started there.

Gerber "V" steel Sportsman 2 in the early 80's ( ?) showed me what a good non stainless alloy steel at higher hardness than I was used to could do. It was a revelation. I generally stayed away from stainless steels until my first Spyderco in G2 ( around 92 or so ?). It gave me the respect for stainless steel I should have had from the beginning.

Joe
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
definitely agree. i don’t know why we’re even talking about anything other than lc200n anymore. it’s edge retention is as good as s30v, but it’s easier to sharpen and doesn’t rust. wanting more is just greedy.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

H1.

It makes me question why I bother with any other steels when its above 65F out.

Rust proof is a bigger game changer for me than edge retention. I can get by EDCing 440C when it comes to that. For me, being rust proof cuts down on maintenance way more than extra edge holding does.
:unicorn
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:08 pm
Evil D wrote:
definitely agree. i don’t know why we’re even talking about anything other than lc200n anymore. it’s edge retention is as good as s30v, but it’s easier to sharpen and doesn’t rust. wanting more is just greedy.
Because vanax exists :p , and because there are oddballs like me who need wear resistance through the roof.

lc200n was the steel that really got me into steels, though.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.